BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Miles tolerance on a "new" M2

09-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Miles tolerance on a "new" M2

My M2 is currently in transit, I will be out of the country for a couple weeks when the car is estimated to arrive at the dealer, at St Louis MO.

I've been having paranoid feelings on leaving the car for weeks at the dealer, I'm afraid it's going to be used for testing, ie: people who work at the dealership or using it for test drives.

Is there number of miles one should tolerate? Not sure if I should communicate this to the vendor. I also wonder about having a friend pick it up while I'm gone.

It's driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

There's a discussion of miles at delivery here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1301207

Regards. -scr

Last edited by SoCalRob; 09-15-2016 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: better grammar
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

If the car is already yours (marked as sold), then there shouldn't be anyone driving it once it arrives at the dealer. It should sit there and people can only look at it until you pick it up. And when you pick it up, it should only have like 8 miles or less (mine had 6 when i picked it up).

Just make sure you run this by your SA, no one drives it and keep the doors locked
Appreciate 1
mitoda66.50
      09-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Yup, what he said. Im in the same exact situation as you, and will be picking up the car next week. The car was marked as sold to me, and my sales guy send me pictures of my car in the showroom and assured me it is being kept locked.
      09-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitoda View Post
My M2 is currently in transit, I will be out of the country for a couple weeks when the car is estimated to arrive at the dealer, at St Louis MO.

I've been having paranoid feelings on leaving the car for weeks at the dealer, I'm afraid it's going to be used for testing, ie: people who work at the dealership or using it for test drives.

Is there number of miles one should tolerate? Not sure if I should communicate this to the vendor. I also wonder about having a friend pick it up while I'm gone.

It's driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.

I would surmise limited risk for miles being put on it. If you really want, ask your CA to text or email the mileage off the car hauler and find out if they are going to put it in the showroom or in the back, fenced in, and guarded lot. I prefer the latter. I don't want someone's bratty 5 year old finger printing up the doors, windows and wheels while mommy is pricing out an SUV. Also, have a friend or relative drive by and check on her to make sure she is OK and text you a pic. A little much? Sure ... but she is a Homecoming Queen and not some two bit skank from East St. Louis. Poop ... just noticed you are in Kansas and the car is in STL. Hmmm ... have the CA take a pic of where they are "storing" your baby girl.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Mine had about 13 km (8mi) on it at delivery and about 20 km (12 mi) when I picked it up post-differential fix.

I was aware the master technician took it out before and after the replacement, hence the added miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

10km when it arrived to the dealer. 15km when I picked it up (for gas fill & PDI).
      09-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Similar situation. I'm picking up mine next week. I told my CA to leave all the protective wraps on the car (going straight to an xpel dealer) and not put it on the showroom floor. He replied saying he would honor my request and confirmed that the car couldn't be placed on the showroom floor unless the wraps were off and the car fully detailed. So I believe, by default, it won't be touched. Maybe you could go that route? As for miles, it's sort of out of my control, but I trust my CA won't let the car be taken for joy rides.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Similar situation. I'm picking up mine next week. I told my CA to leave all the protective wraps on the car (going straight to an xpel dealer) and not put it on the showroom floor. He replied saying he would honor my request and confirmed that the car couldn't be placed on the showroom floor unless the wraps were off and the car fully detailed. So I believe, by default, it won't be touched. Maybe you could go that route? As for miles, it's sort of out of my control, but I trust my CA won't let the car be taken for joy rides.
My CA said, they have to take the protective wrap as they have to examine the car, and promised the car will not be joyriden and will have <8 miles on the odometer.
What ship are you in? I'm in the FAUST.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I doubt that many dealers would test drive a sold car. Do all of the delivery paperwork a week or so before it arrives, then it is without question your car. Most dealers require that anyway. I would then touch base with the SA and the sales manager and just tell them what your concern is and they will provide you the assurance you need. I am sure they will want to clean it up and put it in the showroom locked because the M2 draws a lot of attention so if your ok with that tell them you are just as long as it isn't driven and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0