BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Winter driving with LED lights

01-19-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Winter driving with LED lights

So I've had my car for 3 months and around 2400 miles, in Utah we've been lacking a real winter. Well today was our first real snow storm, after about 10 miles of driving on the free way can't see the lines and the lane detection stops working. Got off the freeway in order to tell if I'm just going blind or if possibly the lights are covered. Lights have around 1/4" thick piece of snow/ice on them.

Appears this is a common problem on the f80/f82 cars as well with LED lights, since there is no light sprayer button, has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? Makes me wonder why they put all those heat sinks on the top and didn't route the heat to the lens.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Some situations such as fast-dropping temperatures or freezing rain are tough to deal with, but RainX on the headlight lenses will help. And if you can’t see the lines on the highway, the car can’t either.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:
Some situations such as fast-dropping temperatures or freezing rain are tough to deal with, but RainX on the headlight lenses will help.
It wasn't really fast dropping temps, I can tell you from experience in Utah I've never seen this happen before. Something that is possible up in Wyoming or out farther out in the middle of no where that wind is more possible.

Quote:
And if you can’t see the lines on the highway, the car can’t either.
You'd be surprised I probably drove 5 miles before I decided to get off the freeway and figure out why my headlights were functioning worse than my e30's lights. I even tested the lane detection to tell if I was in the lines.

My headlights are covered in xpel and then ceramic coated, when washing the car it's basically impossible to keep water on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Then I guess the only solution is to move south...
Appreciate 0