BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Clicking sound when turning wheel

01-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Clicking sound when turning wheel

I had previously lowered car with eibach springs and turner spacers. The shop who did it for me over torqued my wheels and said it was fine even after I insisted the books says 101 pounds. He was a former BMW master tech so I trusted his opinion.

Today my wheels were taken off to be cleaned at a car wash and were torqued back to proper specs. Now when I turn my wheel it has clicking sounds. I'm wondering if it is because now I would have to over torque them back to once what they were prior? Also the lug nuts seems fine when it was removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

There is a squirrel who got into one of your wheels when they were taken off; this can be hard to deal with, but squirrels really like peanut butter, which can be used to attract them out in most cases. Good luck!
      01-18-2018, 03:41 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I had previously lowered car with eibach springs and turner spacers. The shop who did it for me over torqued my wheels and said it was fine even after I insisted the books says 101 pounds. He was a former BMW master tech so I trusted his opinion.

Today my wheels were taken off to be cleaned at a car wash and were torqued back to proper specs. Now when I turn my wheel it has clicking sounds. I'm wondering if it is because now I would have to over torque them back to once what they were prior? Also the lug nuts seems fine when it was removed.
No way Jose....... happens all the time. Did they impact them or just torque to 109lbs. They used to always torque my F82 to 109. Your hearing something else
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #4
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Yeah it’s nothing to do with your wheels... worst thing that could have happen is you strip the threads on the lug nut and need it retapped.

If it is a clicking noise when turning, it typically is a cv joint. But I can’t imagine you have excessive miles yet to have that go bad. But since you said you lowered the car on springs, I would double check the End links and strut bearings.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
M2GB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 and M2

Quote:

I lowered mine with eibach springs (others who did the same had similar noises)

the sound was like an annoying creak/rattle/clicking noise anytime you went over a slight bump or applied the breaks but especially when turning the wheel.

It was fixed by loosening the bolt which holds in the lower side of the strut (we tried everything else before this) and was coming from both front wheels only

The bolt is towars the bottom of the strut. You cant miss it - houses the frame that holds the break lines.

This bolt was over torqued and we reduced the toruqwe level until it stopped
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #6
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GB View Post

the sound was like an annoying creak/rattle/clicking noise anytime you went over a slight bump or applied the breaks but especially when turning the wheel.

It was fixed by loosening the bolt which holds in the lower side of the strut (we tried everything else before this) and was coming from both front wheels only

The bolt is towars the bottom of the strut. You cant miss it - houses the frame that holds the break lines.

Is it this?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...iABEgLwgPD_BwE
This is what ties to the body of the strut. It’s the end link.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
No way Jose....... happens all the time. Did they impact them or just torque to 109lbs. They used to always torque my F82 to 109. Your hearing something else
It was over torqued to maybe 140 or 160 lbs...when it should of been 101 lbs. Now I'm speculating that the reason they did this was to get rid of the clicking noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
It was over torqued to maybe 140 or 160 lbs...when it should of been 101 lbs. Now I'm speculating that the reason they did this was to get rid of the clicking noise.
It takes a ton of over torquing to cause any issue and a click while steering would not be a symptom, a stretched and eventually failed wheel bolt is what would occur. When you lower a car you are likely to create issues like this because it is running at a lower ride height than the car was designed for and it can take some time for the springs to settle. My guess is when the car was raised to retorque the wheels the springs settled into a proper position resulting in the change. Of all of the things going on the wheel torque is the least relevant. The good thing is you noise is gone. It is important to remember whenever you do a mod, regardless of how simple they seem they can introduce all kinds of unintended consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
It takes a ton of over torquing to cause any issue and a click while steering would not be a symptom, a stretched and eventually failed wheel bolt is what would occur. When you lower a car you are likely to create issues like this because it is running at a lower ride height than the car was designed for and it can take some time for the springs to settle. My guess is when the car was raised to retorque the wheels the springs settled into a proper position resulting in the change. Of all of the things going on the wheel torque is the least relevant. The good thing is you noise is gone. It is important to remember whenever you do a mod, regardless of how simple they seem they can introduce all kinds of unintended consequences.
The clicking sound is still there. Only when turning wheel almost all the way. I don't know if the spacers have to do anything with it when the wheels were put back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
The clicking sound is still there. Only when turning wheel almost all the way. I don't know if the spacers have to do anything with it when the wheels were put back on.
I suspect you have change the geometry a bit too much for the linkages, if you can get the car on jack stands or a lift and turn the wheels you might get an indication of where it is coming from, most likely without weight on the wheels you won't get an indication though. As long as the car is tracking straight, tires are wearing properly and the noise is limited to turning to the limit of its ability its probably not something you have to worry about much.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
Not on an m2, but when I did full suspension refresh on my 335, I didn't tighten one bolt on the swaybar link enough. It caused a clicking noise when turning wheel. Go back and check all bolts.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
Bt12
Captain
Rep

I think a few people are telling u to check the end links

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...izer-bar-links
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

This happened when I had my M235i. Called my dealer and took it in for service. They basically had to take the wheel off and clean everything inside. Problem was then resolved and sound was gone. No charge for the service, as it is a common issue with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GB View Post

I know we Yanks bastardize your language regularly with no shame, but we typically call those circular rotors that slow the car down brakes. May the auto correct spelling chose the other break.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0