BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 with total sales of 12,293 "strongest growth driver" of 2017 for BMW M

01-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #45
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Unfortunately it does, as soon as MB started doing this with AMG it was clear that BMW would follow suit. Not a fan of the use of M on anything other than a full M car but we don't get a vote.
DAM RIGHT!!!!!!!

Same for S-line in Audis. Just a technique to drive sales and fool wanna be's.

Why not just put M5 badge on every BMW? Sales would soar!

Mike
Why all the hate for m performance or the s line? I think they're great at hitting the market of the "in between" they are aimed towards. More aggressive than your average daily but obviously watered down from the big dogs.

The performance/price ratio is hard to beat.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #46
pustinek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

First lets stop mentioning CLA into the debate about M2. Altough i have never driven the CLA 45amg version i dont see how it comes close in anything to M2.

By the way size of the CLA is basically size of the 3 series. With way worse driving position and visibility with no added benefit.

Even 2 series is not actually that much smaller than 3 series. Adding 2 more doors without changing whole design of the car would just make it weird. And making hatchback would just make it the m140i which we know how well it sells in the US

People are always complaining why 3 series is becoming larger and larger with every generation. Now BMW made M2 andnot even 2 years later there are posts about how its too small and you need some extra space.

Last edited by pustinek; 01-16-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #47
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pustinek View Post
First lets stop mentioning CLA into the debate about M2. Altough i have never driven the CLA 45amg version i dont see how it comes close in anything to M2.

By the way size of the CLA is basically size of the 3 series. With way worse driving position and visibility with no added benefit.

Even 2 series is not actually that much smaller than 3 series. Adding 2 more doors without changing whole design of the car would just make it weird. And making hatchback would just make it the m140i which we know how well it sells in the US

People are always complaining why 3 series is becoming larger and larger with every generation. Now BMW made M2 and couple of years later there are posts about how its too small and you need some extra space.
time for a 2.5 series which will be succeded by a 2.75 series
      01-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #48
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top pup View Post
Perhaps with strong sales BMW might stop trying to keep the M2 pegged back behind the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #49
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I disagree with the M2 sedan or GT idea for one very simple reason: the back seat is already too small to fit anything or anybody in it, why bother adding two rear doors. Let's be honest. Unless you want to put a small child back there, you're not going to fit 5 passengers in a 2-series. I'm 6'3" and when I'm driving in my 535, the driver's seat is so far back that even I can't put somebody behind me comfortably. I have to move the seat up to allow a passenger directly behind me. That's a 5-series! Imagine a puny 2-series! Let's call a spade a spade. The back seats in the M2 or any 2-series are for decoration only or maybe a chihuahua. The car is a fucking roadster. Period. You and your significant other will be just fine up front, but forget about rear passengers. And as for two doors versus four, a coupe is much nicer and cleaner than a sedan on that size car. In my opinion BMW is doing just fine with that. Besides, BMW's new rule is that odd numbers are sedans and even numbers are coupes, right? There's no number between 2 and 3 so what would they call a 2 series sedan? An m2.5!??? Lol
      01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #50
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
The M2 Sedan would be the perfect iteration of a car for me right now!!! Why OH Why don't they have this already?... It would spank RS3's all the way back to their mutter. I would buy 2... well maybe
Chances are it's because an M2 sedan would have been way to close to the M3 and would have stolen sales from it. Just like how there is no 2 serie Gran Coupe of this generation. And the supposed upcoming 2 series Gran Coupe is a FWD/AWD car.
I have a feeling u are correct...but a guy can dream right?
      01-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #51
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pustinek View Post

People are always complaining why 3 series is becoming larger and larger with every generation. Now BMW made M2 andnot even 2 years later there are posts about how its too small and you need some extra space.
really? Where did u see posts about people wanting a bigger M2? If what u said is true, that's a silly request
      01-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #52
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Would have been even stronger with an M2 sedan. Morons.
+1. Awd GC... Not so compelling.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
. Besides, BMW's new rule is that odd numbers are sedans and even numbers are coupes, right? There's no number between 2 and 3 so what would they call a 2 series sedan? An m2.5!??? Lol
You are " 2000 late. "

BMW has already given up on the Odd and even thing.

From Wikipedia

The BMW G32 is the fourth generation 6 Series, which went on sale in 2017.[13] The body style of the G32 is a 5-door hatchback and it is marketed as "6 Series Gran Turismo" (replacing the previous generation 5 Series Gran Turismo).[14] The coupe and convertible body styles of the 6 Series range will be replaced by the resurrected 8 Series model range.[15]

The G32 was first introduced online on 14 June 2017[16] and launched at the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show in September.[17]
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #54
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
really? Where did u see posts about people wanting a bigger M2? If what u said is true, that's a silly request
Yes E36 and E46 sedans were strange looking cars and they were very small, but it was ok, because people were much smaller *way* back then than they are today.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #55
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
. Besides, BMW's new rule is that odd numbers are sedans and even numbers are coupes, right? There's no number between 2 and 3 so what would they call a 2 series sedan? An m2.5!??? Lol
You are " 2000 late. "

From Wikipedia

The BMW G32 is the fourth generation 6 Series, which went on sale in 2017.[13] The body style of the G32 is a 5-door hatchback and it is marketed as "6 Series Gran Turismo" (replacing the previous generation 5 Series Gran Turismo).[14] The coupe and convertible body styles of the 6 Series range will be replaced by the resurrected 8 Series model range.[15]

The G32 was first introduced online on 14 June 2017[16] and launched at the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show in September.[17]
Oh wow.
      01-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #56
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

That's really good for one car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I disagree with the M2 sedan or GT idea for one very simple reason: the back seat is already too small to fit anything or anybody in it, why bother adding two rear doors. Let's be honest. Unless you want to put a small child back there, you're not going to fit 5 passengers in a 2-series. I'm 6'3" and when I'm driving in my 535, the driver's seat is so far back that even I can't put somebody behind me comfortably. I have to move the seat up to allow a passenger directly behind me. That's a 5-series! Imagine a puny 2-series! Let's call a spade a spade. The back seats in the M2 or any 2-series are for decoration only or maybe a chihuahua. The car is a fucking roadster. Period. You and your significant other will be just fine up front, but forget about rear passengers. And as for two doors versus four, a coupe is much nicer and cleaner than a sedan on that size car. In my opinion BMW is doing just fine with that. Besides, BMW's new rule is that odd numbers are sedans and even numbers are coupes, right? There's no number between 2 and 3 so what would they call a 2 series sedan? An m2.5!??? Lol

When you are running a huge company you have to think more globally than Texas and one guy who is 6'3. I fit people under 6 foot in the back okay for quick trips, though I would never suggest the 2 series is good for 4 people, but you can fit 4 average sized adults in comfortably for SHORT trips. Some people just need to use those back seats with more than two people once in a while on short trips, and the 2 series works alright for that. If people didn't think it was usable then why all these small sedans and hatchbacks selling?
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #58
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

When you are running a huge company you have to think more globally than Texas and one guy who is 6'3. I fit people under 6 foot in the back okay for quick trips, though I would never suggest the 2 series is good for 4 people, but you can fit 4 average sized adults in comfortably for SHORT trips. Some people just need to use those back seats with more than two people once in a while on short trips, and the 2 series works alright for that. If people didn't think it was usable then why all these small sedans and hatchbacks selling?
It's selling because they don't intend to use the back seats. Also, it's quite presumptuous of you to think me to be a local Texan thinker that doesn't think globally. I've been across the globe and lived in many countries. The fact of the matter is that these cars are small, not being marketed for transporting many people. They're being marketed as sporty coupes for couples or single people. If you plan to put passengers in your car and do it often, they've got you covered, though. Plenty of models to chose from. Not the 2-series.
      01-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #59
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would be a 2 series GC just like the four. Regarding the size. My E36 4 door is almost exactly the size of a 2er, though the 2 may be an inch or two larger. My car travels 2 comfortably and gets four moderate sized adults around town in a pinch. The two rear doors are perfect for loading my race tires to go to DE days. Tools and cooler go in the trunk. This form factor had served me well for 24 years. If I want to travel across country in a crowd in comfort, we'll use someone else's car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #60
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
You are " 2000 late. "

From Wikipedia

And the "4er Gran Coupe" before that - they break every 'rule' they create.
      01-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #61
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
do you think that some BMW as well as MZWIE have forgotten that families might have two smaller people that can fit in the back... and they might even shuttle them around on a daily basis... while they may never need to or may rarely need to put a FULL size person in the back.

I think that people like this call those smaller people... kids..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-16-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
marcva378.00
      01-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
It's selling because they don't intend to use the back seats. Also, it's quite presumptuous of you to think me to be a local Texan thinker that doesn't think globally. I've been across the globe and lived in many countries. The fact of the matter is that these cars are small, not being marketed for transporting many people. They're being marketed as sporty coupes for couples or single people. If you plan to put passengers in your car and do it often, they've got you covered, though. Plenty of models to chose from. Not the 2-series.
I see these VW Golf Gti's, A3s, and S3s, all over in San Francisco. I am making the assumption these owners were thinking the option of 4 doors and backseats was worth it for their use case in the city. I am also making the assumption that if they wanted to haul 4 or more people regularly they would have picked larger vehicle. There seems to be a sizable market for small cars that can seat 4. Now I imagine in Texas there would less demand for these kinds of vehicles. Before SF I lived in NYC, where there was another market for smaller cars. Before that Orange County, where there was a market for boat size SUVs and boat sized M3!

The 2 series is being marketed for couples and singles, but hypothetically if they made a 2 series GC they could market that as that super fun car for a young up and coming fast moving professional, but in a pinch can then pick up their buddies and take them to a party.

Or maybe the market would really be men who want a smaller sporty car but their SO won't sign off on a purchase without four doors. Shrug.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
please name a BMW model line that is sold in 2 and 4 door guise that sells more in 2 door guise.

pretty much across the lineup... Every BMW model sells better in 4 door or sedan guise than coupe guise with sporting roofline

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1453830

i3 sells more than i8 - ok yeah I know they aren't the same model

3 series sedan sells more than 4 series coupe
5 series sells more than 6 (well what the 6 used to be )

X3 sells more than X4 (yes it has 4 doors but let's call the X4 a coupe)
X5 sells more than X6 ( yes it has 4 doors but let's call the X6 a coupe)

a four door 2 series model would sell more than the current 2 series coupe

oddly there is a MINI COOPER 2 DOOR... which does outsell the MINI COOPER 4 door.... but heck.. the Mini Countryman outsells the MINI COOPER 2 DOOR.

also of note is that there are THREE 4 door versions of MINI.. the Cooper 4 door.. the clubman.. AND the countryman.. vs the 2 door and the convertible.
I don't consider the JCW or the MINI electric as distinct models...

Just as with the X models.. the taller roof Countryman outsells the lower roof coupe style clubman..

So yes.. I would love to hear your global thinking.. because I am thinking that the MINI is a small car that is " marketed as sporty coupes for couples or single people" and yet there are more 4 door models than 2 door models.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-16-2018 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #64
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #65
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I see these VW Golf Gti's, A3s, and S3s, all over in San Francisco. I am making the assumption these owners were thinking the option of 4 doors and backseats was worth it for their use case in the city. I am also making the assumption that if they wanted to haul 4 or more people regularly they would have picked larger vehicle. There seems to be a sizable market for small cars that can seat 4. Now I imagine in Texas there would less demand for these kinds of vehicles. Before SF I lived in NYC, where there was another market for smaller cars. Before that Orange County, where there was a market for boat size SUVs and boat sized M3!

The 2 series is being marketed for couples and singles, but hypothetically if they made a 2 series GC they could market that as that super fun car for a young up and coming fast moving professional, but in a pinch can then pick up their buddies and take them to a party.

Or maybe the market would really be men who want a smaller sporty car but their SO won't sign off on a purchase without four doors. Shrug.
If they made a gt they'd need to stretch the frame / wheelbase...
      01-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #66
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
please name a BMW model line that is sold in 2 and 4 door guise that sells more in 2 door guise.

pretty much across the lineup... Every BMW model sells better in 4 door or sedan guise than coupe guise with sporting roofline

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1453830

i3 sells more than i8 - ok yeah I know they aren't the same model

3 series sedan sells more than 4 series coupe
5 series sells more than 6 (well what the 6 used to be )

X3 sells more than X4 (yes it has 4 doors but let's call the X4 a coupe)
X5 sells more than X6 ( yes it has 4 doors but let's call the X6 a coupe)

a four door 2 series model would sell more than the current 2 series coupe

oddly there is a MINI COOPER 2 DOOR... which does outsell the MINI COOPER 4 door.... but heck.. the Mini Countryman outsells the MINI COOPER 2 DOOR.

also of note is that there are THREE 4 door versions of MINI.. the Cooper 4 door.. the clubman.. AND the countryman.. vs the 2 door and the convertible.
I don't consider the JCW or the MINI electric as distinct models...

Just as with the X models.. the taller roof Countryman outsells the lower roof coupe style clubman..

So yes.. I would love to hear your global thinking.. because I am thinking that the MINI is a small car that is " marketed as sporty coupes for couples or single people" and yet there are more 4 door models than 2 door models.
I never made the claim that the 2 door models outsell the 4 door models in the same line.