BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 CSL reportedly scrapped, for now

12-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #67
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
Please end production of m2 and create no other variant.
I absolutely second this.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #68
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
More and more of these S55 M2's are being built, confirmed with VINs. It's going to be a great car
Appreciate 1
SW192453.00
      12-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #69
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
More and more of these S55 M2's are being built, confirmed with VINs. It's going to be a great car

They are all elaborate pranks paid for by Bimmerpost to advertise
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 1
tke743738.50
      12-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #70
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
It is highly unlikely that M2 CS in the screenshot refers to another model. BMW most likely simply refers to the M2 Competition as M2 CS internally. Similar thing was with the M3 Lightweight where it was referred as M3 CSL internally. So, unless you got a confirmation that those parts are for a whole new model separate from the M2 Competition, you are most likely looking at the same thing.
I thought so as well. A few weeks back I also said that everyone who actually worked on the M2 variant thought they were working on the CS and not the competition. That would absolutely make sense if BMW had a different internal name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
What's interesting is that, people who worked on actually building these cars still think it was the CS and not the competition. Maybe there are 2 cars which might both be released at the same time or maybe BMW just decided on waiting longer since the base M2 is doing alright against the newer competition.
What is odd is why they would still be working on the competition in Garching when pre production cars are being produced in Leipzig already. For example, no work was done on the M3 CS for months before it was unveiled.

The last M2 prototypes before this were produced in September and carried plates 1404 and 1405 I think. Why would BMW start booking parts out of inventory now. It is not even just a few random parts. Some of the things that were picked up were left and right air intakes, holders of some sort, air circulation coolers, sealing walls, oil pump wheel, oil pump control unit etc. etc. It's like they are building almost a new car and not just tweaking something. I was also told that all these parts were not available throughout 2016 which is when we first started hearing about the CS. Some of the parts have only existed since November of 2016 (After the initial spy videos of M2 variant surfaced). Some of the parts like Bumper contribution left, right, Reduction.Bumpers front (ZB VERKL. STOSSF. VORN M2 CS) sound like things you would not have on a base M2 replacement. Also, US dealerships were officially told about the 1000 production M2 version. Taking all this into consideration, I am making an assumption that the M2 CS is still on. I have no confirmation on it.... Yet.

Quote:
Are you talking about the F90 hybrid or are they building a next gen hybrid M5 using F90 chassis as a test mule? The idea of an F90 hybrid seems insane to me.
I did not ask about this much and was more worried about the M2 CSL. All I know is that there is an M5 hybrid in Camo already. I am not sure exactly to what extent it is hybridized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
you and Gatte seem to be in very different camps..
How so ?. I think we are both saying that there will be one special edition limited M2. I used to hope it would be the CSL but it looks like it could be the CS. I am not sure about the timeline but think 2019 could be accurate since this also aligns with the production schedule leak.
Sounds like a bunch of parts for camo
Appreciate 1
tke743738.50
      12-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #71
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
For the price that the CSL would have been at I would not have wanted one IF I could even get one allocated to me. I have no heartburn over this.

However, BMW is on the verge of losing me after 17 years of unending loyalty. I've bought 6 new BMWs in the last 17 years along with 3 used ones. For me I want a smaller fun to drive car. The 3 was my go to car. 2 E36s and 2 E46s. They almost lost me on the E90 because of the size vs the E46 but I bought one. When it came time for an F series M3 I walked. It was just too big for my tastes. The next 3 series is even bigger yet. Not for me. Then the M2 came out and that extended my relationship with BMW. For my wife we have an E series X1. The F series X1 got bigger and went front drive - no more 50/50 weight distribution - may as well buy a CRV. So unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat and reintroduce a rear drive 1 series I'll be out of new BMWs once my current M2 and X1 live their useful life with me which is probably in about 2 years. Anything can happen but most anything coming out in the next two years has test mules running around now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Last edited by Pyrat 2; 12-08-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 7
      12-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #72
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
For the price that the CSL would have been at I would not have wanted one IF I could even get one allocated to me. I have no heartburn over this.

However, BMW is on the verge of losing me after 17 year of unending loyalty. I've bought 6 new BMWs in the last 15 years along with 3 used ones. For me I want a smaller fun to drive car. The 3 was my go to car. 2 E36s and 2 E46s. They almost lost me on the E90 because of the size vs the E46 but I bought one. When it came time for an F series M3 I walked. It was just too big for my tastes. The next 3 series is even bigger yet. Not for me. Then the M2 came out and that extended my relationship with BMW. For my wife we have an E series X1. The F series X1 got bigger and went front drive - no more 50/50 weight distribution - may as well buy a CRV. So unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat and reintroduce a rear drive 1 series I'll be out of new BMWs once my current M2 and X1 live their useful life with me which is probably in about 2 years. Anything can happen but most anything coming out in the next two years has test mules running around now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
The E series X1 is what got me back into BMW after selling my E28 ten years ago. Got it to replace my wife's ride and then that lead me to getting the M2. I really like the small size of the X1 and love driving it as well, sometimes more than the M2 depending on the situation or mood. Hydraulic steering is great. The M2 is still small enough and keeps some ties back to earlier cars, but I am in the same camp....stop maxing out the size! Smaller is better, I would love a 1 series M hatch, RWD or Xdrive would be fine. No CS, CSL, or whatever for me unless the price point is hard to beat, which is highly unlikely, and/or one becomes available down the road out of the blue and I can't resist.
Appreciate 3
Pyrat 21417.50
StephGOD218.50
      12-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #73
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:

However, BMW is on the verge of losing me after 17 years of unending loyalty. I've bought 6 new BMWs in the last 17 years along with 3 used ones. For me I want a smaller fun to drive car. The 3 was my go to car. 2 E36s and 2 E46s. They almost lost me on the E90 because of the size vs the E46 but I bought one. When it came time for an F series M3 I walked. It was just too big for my tastes. The next 3 series is even bigger yet. Not for me. Then the M2 came out and that extended my relationship with BMW. For my wife we have an E series X1. The F series X1 got bigger and went front drive - no more 50/50 weight distribution - may as well buy a CRV. So unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat and reintroduce a rear drive 1 series I'll be out of new BMWs once my current M2 and X1 live their useful life with me which is probably in about 2 years. Anything can happen but most anything coming out in the next two years has test mules running around now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
I always find it interesting when people say things like this. What would you get instead? What other brand makes something like the X1 you have now? None, everything else is FWD based, just like the new X1. Who makes something a class smaller than a 3-Series that isn’t FWD-based? Again, no one.

You’re threatening to leave BMW because they aren’t building something they used to that no one else is building now either. Where are you going to go? You going to jump ship and get exactly the type of vehicle from Benz, Audi, or Jag that you’re railing against from BMW? I don’t get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #74
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:

I always find it interesting when people say things like this. What would you get instead? What other brand makes something like the X1 you have now? None, everything else is FWD based, just like the new X1. Who makes something a class smaller than a 3-Series that isn’t FWD-based? Again, no one.

You’re threatening to leave BMW because they aren’t building something they used to that no one else is building now either. Where are you going to go? You going to jump ship and get exactly the type of vehicle from Benz, Audi, or Jag that you’re railing against from BMW? I don’t get it.
For the wife I'll get something smaller than the current x1 and since there are no other good alternatives I'd likely get something that is Japanese and pocket the change. For me either I spend the same as a a csl and get myself a Porsche or I spend the same as my current M2 and go to Detroit. I was surprised at the number of mustangs at my last track event. More every time I go. There are options besides BMW.
      12-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #75
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

Not to speak for him, but maybe he’s saying that someone else can or probably does the whole FWD bias better....since they’ve been doing it a while.

BMWs were known (hirsotically speaking) for a few distinct things. RWD is one of them. And since the ever increasing size of all models seems to have no end, he might be saying he’s going to think outside the BMW box, because it no longer is a one horse race when he is considering a new car. But that’s just a guess.

Speaking from experience, BMW lost me as a customer recently - I came back for the ZCP F80, which is a very nice car, but I don’t love it. Something is missing...very subjective I know....but I don’t feel compelled to want another one like I did 10 years ago.
as7920597.00
      12-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #76
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

The only exciting thing coming from BMW and that gets scrapped. Is BMW allergic to fun these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
bogeyman106.00
      12-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #77
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:

The Alfa Giulia and Jag XE do feel a little smaller from the driving seat but certainly not a whole size down. Not RWD of course but I think the Audi A3/RS3 sedan is a perfect size.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:49 AM   #78
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Well that's a bit of a shame it I guess sales figures of something have put the board off.
      12-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #79
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
For some.

I got my hands on my M2 in July, 2017. I’m probably one of the very few who loves 99% of the car (full disclosure: with a tune and downpipe) and wouldn’t change a thing. If you had shown me a 2018 LCI or S55 powered Competition/CS/CSL, all at the same price, I still would have chosen my 2017.

When I agree with, “end production of the M2 now,” I say it selfishly because I feel my car is about perfect in its current form.

People who fall in love with cars get it. I fell in love with the 1M back in the day and waited patiently for 5 years before BMW made another exciting, small(ish), 2-door sports coupe. I would not have settled for anything less, and I’ve developed a love for this car. There are very few material things you could offer me in a new model that would make me consider switching.

The internet is mainly a rumor mill where gradually, opinions and assumptions migrate into “facts.” To the hundreds of posters I see asking, “should I buy now or wait for the biggest, baddest, next best thing, M2 that’s only actually a rumor and subject to change at any time,” PLEASE just buy the M2 now. You won’t be let down.
Appreciate 3
      12-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #80
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
So where are we now...
M2 Competition on its way
M2 CSL cancelled
Why are we still using the M2 CS name?
MR
Name:  M2_CS_March2018_Excerpt.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  12.9 KB

Name:  M2_CS_Excerpt.jpg
Views: 23423
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  M2_CS_M2_CSL.png
Views: 899
Size:  296.1 KB
Dackelone10522.50
      12-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #81
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

Disappointing news, but it makes some sense. In the very recent past, the GTS came out to much anticipation, but got killed in the press. The more recent CS seems to be quite a hit, with many positive reviews. While some of us would jump at the CSL/GTS if given the chance, I will probably be very happy with an optionable/moddable (words?) S55 that I can drive around town in a car that doesn't stand out too much, and I can throw a kid in back when the need arises. On the other hand, I CAN'T WAIT for S55 track days, roll bar or not...
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 1
Chako105.00
      12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #82
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

BMW is in a 10 year death match for its survival as cars turn from individually owned IC to individually owned electric to electric self-driving fleets. They are competing with every large auto manufacturer in the world and, more importantly, the Chinese government. They have already issued profit warnings as R&D ramps up in a frantic effort to stay relevant They see the writing on the wall. An M2CSL is not a high priority. Especially after screwing the pooch on the M4GTS.

Too many folks are staring at the bumper of the car in front of them. Lift up your eyes and look down the road. It's a future where enthusiasts drive at the track and otherwise hop in an autonomous-driven Uber. The IC car is going the way of the horse.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #83
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
It tells me a lot. The GTS is completely overpriced for what it is, period.

The coolest thing about that car is the water injection system, and that’s not even novel.
Another cool thing about the GTS is it's billet spindles. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #84
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
If any of you are surprised at this I have one word for you:

TESLA

Elon really lit a fire under everyone's ass. The term "Game Changer" gets thrown about quite a bit but it is an understatement in Musk's case. He's doing it to the space launch industry and he's doing it to the automotive industry as well. Who's next?!

Hard not to man crush on the dude
Agree , it's Elon's fault
      12-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #85
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:

It's almost like you described my story. I had 7 new 3-series/M3's from '95 to 2011 (owned the last one until 2013) so 18 years of pretty loyal ownership.

I totally second your feelings about BMW and have voiced the same frustration. The E90 were the last models I bought, but in reality they were already too big. Ended up going back to an e46 M3, but if the circumstances had been a bit different, probably would have gotten an M2.

The M2 is probably a last ditch effort from BMW, and from here on out you can either find a low mile "classic" BMW, or move on.
My solution was a DD that is FWD and, like I said, and low mileage e46 M3. Granted it isn't the same as getting a new car, but the cost of two cars as described is about equal to a new 3 series and has its advantages.

Quote:

True, there isn't a true sports sedan like the old 3 series/M3 used to be, but for those that have grown up with the 3 series, times and circumstances have changes as well. While I would still like to have a car that offers the practicality and sportiness of an M3, I can also see the benefit in having a more down to earth DD and then a second, more purpose build sports car, like a 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Not to speak for him, but maybe he’s saying that someone else can or probably does the whole FWD bias better....since they’ve been doing it a while.

BMWs were known (hirsotically speaking) for a few distinct things. RWD is one of them. And since the ever increasing size of all models seems to have no end, he might be saying he’s going to think outside the BMW box, because it no longer is a one horse race when he is considering a new car. But that’s just a guess.

Speaking from experience, BMW lost me as a customer recently - I came back for the ZCP F80, which is a very nice car, but I don’t love it. Something is missing...very subjective I know....but I don’t feel compelled to want another one like I did 10 years ago.
Exactly. If you aren't getting an inline 6, MT and RWD, you might as well look somewhere else. Plenty of other options out there.

Last edited by norMcal; 12-09-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      12-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #86
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
M5 Hybrid?!
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #87
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It seems that someone from BMW Canada HQ referred to it in an email as the M2 CS: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1596

I wonder if BMW decided to (again) re-name the Competition to CS, and only release it under the CS moniker? Or perhaps Competition and CS (with the scrapping of the CSL) will be released as separate cars afterall
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #88
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Agree , it's Elon's fault
C’mon guys, that Tesla roadster is bad azz.... sub $250k with 0-60 times and quarter mile that beats essentially every supercar out there that cost multiples more. Oh and it looks good and can be a daily driver.

I’ll probably buy the Porsche mission E or some BMW variant at some point once I get over not having a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0