BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > HRE R101s in Brushed Dark Clear

08-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #23
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
Absolutely not.. But if you speak to some other companies on this forum they aren't snobby and can care less if you want to buy from another company.. I spoke with Apex Wheels about the Avant Garde wheels I was buying at the time for my 235 and they still spent over 20 minutes on the phone talking to me about fitment options and even said to me they understand that their wheels aren't for people looking for more of a flashy wheel. Some people are in it because of true love of the game so to speak and some strictly care only about money..

I understand business is business but actually telling your customers they can't tell other people what offset their wheels are is absude.. I can see if HRE directly doesn't want to tell people their offsets but telling your customers is a different ball game. So according to them I go to a car meet with their wheels on my car a bunch of people ask me what sizing and offsets they are and I am supposed to be a jerk and be like its a secret.. Yeah right

P.S. I didn't ask HRE, I asked the OP who was instructed by HRE to not disclose his offsets with anyone
I'm in high tech software sales. Everyone of my customers that is exposed to our core code or security reports is under NDA. companies have every right to protect trade secrets. I'm under a non compete and NDA myself for the same reason...protect trade secrets. restricting access to info is the norm in may industries. I dont think its fair to say that HRE is only in it for the money simply because they ask customers to keep things confidential.

They arent trying to restrict you from buying wheels from another manufacturer. They are trying to prevent you from buying THEIR design from another manufacturer.

id you have their wheels and to go a meet, and people ask, its as easy as saying "i'm not sure"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
Beautiful car man! Are your offsets a conspiracy theory or are you willing to share? Thanks!
I honestly have no idea why it's such a big secret but, as you seem to be aware, they did ask that they not be disclosed.
??
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Why would they take the time to perfect their fitment for you to just copy that at a competitor?

If you are buying HRE wheels they will tell you the offset no problem in the ordering process so your rant is a bit premature. They just don't want them EVERYWHERE, they are no secret to prospective buyers.
I hear you but it isn't like offsets are a big secret 2 months after the car is out. By now, every reputable wheel manufacturer has concluded offsets that work perfectly with the M2 and I would bet many have, by chance, the exact same offsets as HRE. The competitive advantage for something like this is short lived... it's also not rocket science where someone else won't figure it out a month later regardless of disclosure.

Totally with @gthal on this.

I think this works to @HRE_Wheels disadvantage.

If one is going to make a custom wheel setup then offsets don't matter because your vehicle is unique.

Offsets do matter to the general public however but not for the purpose of trying to " steal a fitment " but for the purpose of determining what's available in the market place in order to make a purchase without a lot of guesswork.

HRE does cater to the boutique buyer, so I understand their approach but as far as I am concerned it's trifling.

Not everyone wants to take their car to the "tailor" for a custom measurement, and to that effect HRE is more than likely missing out on business because of it. That's their choice. I imagine that they prefer to give each and every buyer the illusion of having a custom setup when for most a custom setup isn't really needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
HRE does cater to the boutique buyer, so I understand their approach but as far as I am concerned it's trifling
Yeah, very shady business...
Anything not "open source" in the world is shady business.

I'll leave the rest of your post out of this as its laughable.

I'm out!
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
HRE does cater to the boutique buyer, so I understand their approach but as far as I am concerned it's trifling
Yeah, very shady business...

Anything not "open source" in the world is shady business.
I never said anything about it being shady or underhanded in any way. Too bad you inferred that.

--------

EDIT - i kept wondering why you went with " shady " and referred to open source.

I guess you've been using the urban dictionary ?

TOP DEFINITION trifling

shady, not right

Example
"you tried to get with my man w/out me seeing, and then when i did see, you denied it...your [sic] a triflin' bitch"

Perhaps that's what they are saying up at HRE about all their competition ?

"you tried to get my wheel design spec w/out me seeing, and then when i did see, you denied it...you're a triflin' customer/competing wheel company !

Here's what's in a regular dictionary.

DEFN- trifling
of very little importance; trivial; insignificant:

------------------

This isn't rocket science, this isn't national security , it's not even as proprietary as a software tune or high tech software ! It's rather simple metallurgy. .

It's just not that proprietary .. Sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming ....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I will never get tired of looking at LBB with a matte wrap.

Everything looks great.
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

Hot damn... stealth wrap and those rims go together like PB&J... Pretty dope!
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #30
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Love the look and coincidentally was looking at that exact wheel and color last night on their web site. I however won't spend that kind of cash without knowing the specs on the wheels. On my 1er, which was hard to fit wide tires and wheels in, I had my measurements literally down to 2 mm with out rub inside and out. Trying to do the same for the M2 without wheel specs just won't work unless they would be willing to make to their spec and guarantee no rub if I give them the tire name and specs too. What is an ideal look for some is not for others. Different people have different priorities ( square, super flush, lowered, cambered...). There is no optimal fitment for all. So having them tell me what is right just doesn't work. Had I listened to the vendor or bought 'optimal off the shelf' there is no way my 1er square fitment with 255/35 and no rub would have worked. Knowing what they gave you simply gives one a baseline for comparison.

Now with all that said. Looks awesome.
      08-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #31
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
There is no optimal fitment for all. So having them tell me what is right just doesn't work. Had I listened to the vendor or bought 'optimal off the shelf' there is no way my 1er square fitment with 255/35 and no rub would have worked
They asked me what tires I wanted to run and guaranteed fitment. I have not had an issue. HRE and WheelsBoutique know what they are doing. I would suggest talking to them and see what they can do for you.
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #32
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
You are taking things way out of proportion. No one from HRE tells you to take the offsets to the grave. Before I got my wheels I talked to HRE about offsets and they asked me not to put them publicly on the forum (that is all), this is before they even knew I would get them and they had no problem discussing fitments.

When I finally got my wheels through a dealer no one has mentioned anything about keeping the offsets secret. They are printed on the back of the wheels etc. So no one is stopping you from telling someone on a car meet, they just don't want a HRE offset thread on the biggest forums in the world.
I was under the impression that HRE can tailor made the wheels in your desired offset...so you can ask HRE to make wheels with the original offset of the standard M2 wheels if you want. Not?
Personally; I don't think offsets are such a big secret if you are interested in their wheels. I personally see no reason why offsets or wheel dimensions should be a secret for a potential customer? By the way: people who do business (on any level) are their to make money.... If not it's called a hobby and not running a company.
      08-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
WheelsBoutique
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
I was under the impression that HRE can tailor made the wheels in your desired offset...so you can ask HRE to make wheels with the original offset of the standard M2 wheels if you want. Not?
Personally; I don't think offsets are such a big secret if you are interested in their wheels. I personally see no reason why offsets or wheel dimensions should be a secret for a potential customer? By the way: people who do business (on any level) are their to make money.... If not it's called a hobby and not running a company.

Correct, you can provide HRE your own offsets if you wish.
      09-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #34
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Are you planning to lower the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #35
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Are you planning to lower the car?
I would love to but I have this problem to contend with:

That is not easily solved...
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 0