BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > $ The M4 Premium $

02-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #45
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasevo9 View Post
I am also very confused with Confusion's post. Same price and will still choose an M2.
Because to him, the M2 is the better car? Jesus Christ, how is this hard to understand?
Haha. Grumpy indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #46
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I really hope I can have the opportunity to drive the 2 back to back in some spirited fashion in the near future to determine for myself.
I wonder how difficult it will be for people to get test drives of M2's since it seems they will be produced in more limited quantities than the M3/4.

It seems like most buyers of the M2 will have to have faith in BMW and order the car sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #47
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Quote:
I really hope I can have the opportunity to drive the 2 back to back in some spirited fashion in the near future to determine for myself.
I wonder how difficult it will be for people to get test drives of M2's since it seems they will be produced in more limited quantities than the M3/4.

It seems like most buyers of the M2 will have to have faith in BMW and order the car sight unseen.
I'm guessing it'll be very difficult. Seems like most HEA cars are spoken for already, so folks who want to test drive will have to get their test in before those cars reach customers' hands. Or wait a year until floor models are available.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #48
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I'm guessing it'll be very difficult. Seems like most HEA cars are spoken for already, so folks who want to test drive will have to get their test in before those cars reach customers' hands. Or wait a year until floor models are available.
Yea it will probably be really hard, but I plan on leaning on a few friends who should be getting them. That way you can push it a bit more too. Test drives are always hard to get a sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #49
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

If the M2's price was raised to match the M4 I would just say eff it and get the Mercedes C63s coupe. If I'm forced to get a luxo barge I should probably go for the better looking, faster, waaaay better interior awesome sounding V8 luxo barge.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 5
      02-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #50
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
If the M2's price was raised to match the M4 I would just say eff it and get the Mercedes C63s coupe. If I'm forced to get a luxo barge I should probably go for the better looking, faster, waaaay better interior awesome sounding V8 luxo barge.
Except both of those "luxo barges" will outpace the M2 at the track by a margin Maybe that doesn't matter to some people but it does to others. I guess I just don't think I'd quite call them "luxo barges". Just my take

An M5 or an E63 AMG are luxo barges
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #51
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Except both of those "luxo barges" will outpace the M2 at the track by a margin Maybe that doesn't matter to some people but it does to others. I guess I just don't think I'd quite call them "luxo barges". Just my take

An M5 or an E63 AMG are luxo barges
I guess it could depend on the track and driver? .

It's all perspective my man. Cayman owners might think the M2 is large. Most people looking at the M2 could consider the M4 and C63 barges...M4 buyers think M5 too big.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of my post. If I was forced to go with (what I consider a barge and you consider perfect), it would be the better one.

The M5? Now we're in Star Destroyer territory.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #52
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

When it comes down to objective, measurable things like performance figures , acceleration and or quality of components and or interior exterior carbon fiber pieces , the f8x is worth every of the 14k pennies over the m2.
Things like driving feel, different for different people, and looks/ size those are subjective and will vary depend on the buyer preferences
I still need 4 doors and m2 is way too small for my needs , doesn't mean it's not a great car
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #53
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr
When it comes down to objective, measurable things like performance figures , acceleration and or quality of components and or interior exterior carbon fiber pieces , the f8x is worth every of the 14k pennies over the m2.
Things like driving feel, different for different people, and looks/ size those are subjective and will vary depend on the buyer preferences
I still need 4 doors and m2 is way too small for my needs , doesn't mean it's not a great car
The M2 is an F8X too...we need to come up with an alternative designation for its bigger siblings.

To answer the OP question: to me, the price difference in Canada of C$30,000 between the two is just too much to justify the upgrade.

However, if money was no objection, I definitely wouldn't mind more interior room and higher quality materials.

I did pick the M2 hoping it would be a suitable replacement for my Z4MC which unfortunately is no longer practical.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #54
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Latest Car&Driver says to buy the M2 and save the 14k over the M4. They love the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #55
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
No manual, no care
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #56
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Everything is so black and white in these parts.

They are both awesome, but the M2 doesn't become a GT4 just because it's a few inches shorter.
Agree. It will never be a GT4, CSL might blur the lines, but you would expect that if it is GT4 money.

I missed out on a GT4 in the UK due to the ridiculous politics that Porsche dealers follow. That was a £65k car here - dealers bought them straight back from their favourite buyers and they are up for £100k. I would not expect my £45k M2 to be a match for this, but having lost out on a GT4, the M2 still ticked most of the boxes and I didn't want to lose out again.

Different car, closer to a Focus RS than a GT4
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #57
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by giger View Post
Agree. It will never be a GT4, CSL might blur the lines, but you would expect that if it is GT4 money.

I missed out on a GT4 in the UK due to the ridiculous politics that Porsche dealers follow. That was a £65k car here - dealers bought them straight back from their favourite buyers and they are up for £100k. I would not expect my £45k M2 to be a match for this, but having lost out on a GT4, the M2 still ticked most of the boxes and I didn't want to lose out again.

Different car, closer to a Focus RS than a GT4
Appreciate your post but it's quite curious/funny how many "failed" GT4 clients seem to prefer a M2 to a performance configured/GTS Cayman, same thing for more then one (that I know) Cayman GTS owners selling (and replacing) their P cars after GT4 surprisingly came up (and instantaneously out ).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #58
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The Cayman GTS isn't special enough for me. I did consider a used Cayman R, but the M2 is only slightly more and the running costs on the 'R' would be significantly higher due to age. The looks of the car have also aged too much for me.

Not being negative on the M2 in anyway though and can't wait to get it!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #59
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I went to a BMW track day where we had the opportunity to drive the M2 and M4 back to back. I know the track well, and although they were paced laps it was enough to get some idea of how the cars felt and behaved.

M2 was first - it really is great on track, a little roll but still crisp, front end grip is fantastic, no understeer, a trace of oversteer as weight transfers and really easy to drive out of corners using throttle early to steer. Not a huge amount of feedback via wheel/seat when compared to, say, a Lotus Evora/Elise, but enough. Engine sounds sweet and tuneful.

M4 was set in Sport mode and of course has adjustable dampers so was firmer, flatter, had clearly more feedback. Funny as it looks a lot bigger so you think it will be heavier (which it isn't much) but it actually felt a touch more agile. Top end power is a step up, sound is more aggressive and animalistic and the car felt degrees more alive and responsive to inputs than the M2. Seriously impressive, at least on a wide, dry track.

I think if I were buying a car that I intended to track several times a year and had the funds (M4s are 50% more in Aus), the bigger car would get serious consideration - I don't necessarily think the M2 will steal that many sales from it on that basis.

Can't wait to drive the M2 on familiar roads....
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 4
      03-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #60
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I went to a BMW track day where we had the opportunity to drive the M2 and M4 back to back. I know the track well, and although they were paced laps it was enough to get some idea of how the cars felt and behaved.

M2 was first - it really is great on track, a little roll but still crisp, front end grip is fantastic, no understeer, a trace of oversteer as weight transfers and really easy to drive out of corners using throttle early to steer. Not a huge amount of feedback via wheel/seat when compared to, say, a Lotus Evora/Elise, but enough. Engine sounds sweet and tuneful.

M4 was set in Sport mode and of course has adjustable dampers so was firmer, flatter, had clearly more feedback. Funny as it looks a lot bigger so you think it will be heavier (which it isn't much) but it actually felt a touch more agile. Top end power is a step up, sound is more aggressive and animalistic and the car felt degrees more alive and responsive to inputs than the M2. Seriously impressive, at least on a wide, dry track.

I think if I were buying a car that I intended to track several times a year and had the funds (M4s are 50% more in Aus), the bigger car would get serious consideration - I don't necessarily think the M2 will steal that many sales from it on that basis.

Very interesting, thank you for the write up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #61
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post

Wow. The divergence of opinion on comparisons of these two cars is striking. There are several reviews out there that say that M2 steering feel is superior, that M4 feels too big, M2 more fun to drive, etc. There may end being as many opinions on the question as there are drivers in the end...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #62
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
There are several reviews out there that say that M2 steering feel is superior, that M4 feels too big
Which review said that the M4 feels too big?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #63
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Wow. The divergence of opinion on comparisons of these two cars is striking. There are several reviews out there that say that M2 steering feel is superior, that M4 feels too big, M2 more fun to drive, etc. There may end being as many opinions on the question as there are drivers in the end...
Agree - seems everyone loves the M2 (well at least at Laguna Seca with BMW happy pills in their bloodstream) and not many really rate the M3/4 in road or road/track testing. As this was purely an on-circuit run, the M2 was potentially at a disadvantage having no damping adjustment. Driving on roads the M4's track setting may well be a disaster, and indeed the M2s set-up may work better than the M4 in its softer setting.

I was more reflecting that there were reasons to spend the difference.

M2 CSL in Valencia Orange? I reckon they'd sell one or two.....
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #64
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad

Very interesting. If you know, how does your track compare to Laguna Seca with respect to length and turns, where most/all of the M2 track reviews that I have read originated? Sebring is a couple hours south of me, and it is a big, open track. I would expect the M4 to really shine in that environment.

Of course, as you said, the importance of the on-road performance cannot be overstated, either.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #65
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
I don't get the sense that the driving experience will be that much different. It will be nice to have a smaller more agile car,
It will be smaller, but not more agile. It's not really lighter than the M4, and it has less power.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #66
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Where are those reviews?
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0