BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > $ The M4 Premium $

02-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

$ The M4 Premium $

What premium would you pay to get into a M3/M4 vs a M2?

I'm my view, the $14k sticker premium certainly isn't worth it.

However, as deals will inevitably be had on the cold old M3/M4 as everyone wants the M2 at MSRP, what's it worth to you?

I'm thinking I'd make the jump for $5-7k difference- which should be very achievable in reality.

I know it's less about $ and more about size for most, myself included, however, the M4 is more car and still should command some sort of premium. I'd put my size preferences aside to get more car for the right price.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

It's not about money. Many people do not like the M4 due to the huge size of it including me.

The m3 has grown at every generation. The M2 is a step in the right direction.
Appreciate 12
      02-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2
What premium would you pay to get into a M3/M4 vs a M2?

I'm my view, the $14k sticker premium certainly isn't worth it.

However, as deals will inevitably be had on the cold old M3/M4 as everyone wants the M2 at MSRP, what's it worth to you?

I'm thinking I'd make the jump for $5-7k difference- which should be very achievable in reality.

I know it's less about $ and more about size for most, myself included, however, the M4 is more car and still should command some sort of premium. I'd put my size preferences aside to get more car for the right price.

Thoughts?
I don't like the M4. I drove it on the track and on the street. It's not for me.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

If the M2 is unavailable, I may look at an M4 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
It's not about money. Many people do not like the M4 due to the huge size of it including me.

+1

In my country an M4 is about €30K more expensive than an M2, but than again I could`n care less if it was €15K more or €5K more, I would certainly prefer the M2 over the M4.

And no, it is also not about HP numbers.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I agree with you.

But I'm not willing to pay the same price for a M2 in its current configuration as I would a M4. I would pay M4 money if the M2 was the exact same car, just shrunken but it didn't turn out that way.

That's why I think this is a relevant discussion. While the gap between the M2 and M4 seems very small, there still is a gap and at some price the M4 will offer more value.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I agree with you.

But I'm not willing to pay the same price for a M2 in its current configuration as I would a M4. I would pay M4 money if the M2 was the exact same car, just shrunken but it didn't turn out that way.

That's why I think this is a relevant discussion. While the gap between the M2 and M4 seems very small, there still is a gap and at some price the M4 will offer more value.
Depends on what you mean by "value". If you mean "features" and numbers, absolutely. But the differences in driving experience between the two cars described in early reviews of the M2 relate to a different kind of "value." If they are correct, for some the first kind of "value" won't matter, the second kind will, and the M2 will be the pick.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

M4 --> do not want at $65-70K, or $50K for that matter. Too big. If the M2 didn't exist I would have a fun, reliable DD + E46 M3 for nice weather.

If I needed a 4 door sedan for hauling kids I would probably get a WRX. That way they won't be vomiting on nice Merino leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Personally I wouldn't pay a premium at all for a car that is too big and can bite you on the ass in less than ideal conditions.
If it wasn't for the M2 I wouldn't be here and would be looking outside the BMW brand for a car to suit my tastes.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Depends on what you mean by "value". If you mean "features" and numbers, absolutely. But the differences in driving experience between the two cars described in early reviews of the M2 relate to a different kind of "value." If they are correct, for some the first kind of "value" won't matter, the second kind will, and the M2 will be the pick.
I don't get the sense that the driving experience will be that much different. It will be nice to have a smaller more agile car, but the difference will be marginal in the grand scheme of things. I've even seen a few reviews that claim the M3/M4 still feels sharper or "racier" than the M2.

And how could it really be that different, think about it, it's smaller but the overall mass (weight) is basically the same. And it's effectively the same suspension. Let's not kid ourselves here.

The bigger takeaway for me from the reviews is that the $14k premium isn't worth it, because the cars really are so similar. And also an applaud to BMW for keeping things simple and offering less options and gizmos. However, if you can get them for free, why not?
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
+1

In my country an M4 is about €30K more expensive than an M2, but than again I could`n care less if it was €15K more or €5K more, I would certainly prefer the M2 over the M4.

And no, it is also not about HP numbers.
Everyone is so aggressive. Don't be irrational. Just a discussion. I never once mentioned HP.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Although I do enjoy the M3/4 very much, it is not really about the availability or getting "more" car for the money, you know? It is about having something different and more agile, not to mention the first of its kind (for the 2 Series). The 1M was okay but I absolutely could not get over the awful, piggish look of the thing.

This is an opportunity to get something much better and well-rounded. I will definitely be considering an M4 for my next car, though.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Got it thanks.

My biggest takeaway from this thread is that there will be deals to be had on M3/M4s! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
I don't get the sense that the driving experience will be that much different. It will be nice to have a smaller more agile car, but the difference will be marginal in the grand scheme of things. I've even seen a few reviews that claim the M3/M4 still feels sharper or "racier" than the M2.
Some cars feel like you sit on top of them, others feel like they wrap around you. I like a smaller footprint/feel, even for DD. The weight can be similar, but the feel is still different. If you've ever driven E36 vs. E46, you will notice it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

I think people are confusing "value" with utility. The M4 definitely presents more value, especially when one could be had used with low miles for about the same price as a M2. Value in terms of a better engine/turbos , better interior (quality and options), CF roof, more weight savings, ect but like many of you I will most likely find more utility in an M2 because I want a smaller sized, more nimble car. I plan on purchasing in the summer of 2017. If the M2 is still very difficult to be had at or below MSRP then I may consider other options, the M4 being one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have had my M4 for a little over a year, and am seriously considering going the other way. Actually just put a bsm M2 in the order bank today. My last car was a 1M, and if the M2 happens to be the perfect love child between the 1M and the M4, it might be the last car I own for a very long time.
Appreciate 3
      02-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

M4 is just bigger than I like, and price of course if there. M3? Not with 4 doors--might work if you need them, but it turned into a weekend family sedan for the Dad who wants to zoom to the soccer field. Fine for those who wish it no doubt.

M2 is just seems right so far, all else included works now beyond my M235.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
dt34
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo MC, i3

Isn't necessarily a money thing for everyone i suspect. The M2 is the car I have been waiting for BMW to build. Sure it's a little porky but I'm ok with that.

If BMW didn't build this car I would be looking elsewhere or would buy an 1M.

Past: BMW E36 M3,BMW E92 M3,Audi RS5,
Lotus Exige S,Lotus Evora S
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #19
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

The value is what turns you on and you are ok paying for it. When I drive my 330 I feel like I am a part of the machine. The response is almost instantaneous. When I drove M4 it felt large and I felt disconnected. The current M2 is still heavy but the real M2 is yet to come.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #20
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura

Exactly. I'd actually pay more for the m2 vs m4 if it had some more features that I wanted.
      02-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I own an M4 and have an M2 coming in a few months.

To me, it isn't about the price difference as much as it is the difference in the experience. The M4, IMO, is worth the price spread based on its additional capability, interior treatment, etc. So it's not a value issue. However, the M2 is more raw, more focused, etc. So, the decision is more based on the experience someone I'm after.

If they were the same price, I would still pick the M2 today because that's the experience I'm looking for at the moment. In two years, I might want the M4 experience again and, even if they are $25,000 apart, I'd still buy the M4 if that were the case.

The price gap ($30,000+ in Canada) is, to me, just gravy
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:

And how could it really be that different, think about it, it's smaller but the overall mass (weight) is basically the same. And it's effectively the same suspension. Let's not kid ourselves here.

The bigger takeaway for me from the reviews is that the $14k premium isn't worth it, because the cars really are so similar. And also an applaud to BMW for keeping things simple and offering less options and gizmos. However, if you can get them for free, why not?
Drive the M2 and see. The clear majority of the reviews I've read do in fact point immediately to a significant, non-"marginal" difference in the driving experiences offered by the two cars. I have indeed thought about it, and the wheelbase differences alone are enough for me to believe what I am reading.

You can believe the authors of those reviews are "kidding themselves," and I can believe otherwise. But what will tell the tale is getting behind the wheel of an M2. I've been behind the wheel of an M4. I'm waiting, and it's not because of price.

As for free "gizmos," that offers little to no attraction to me. Chapman had it right, at least for a true sports car you intend to drive as one--"Simplify, and add lightness." The M2 didn't add much lightness, but it is simpler. I like that. At least on paper. We'll see.
Appreciate 0