BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Planning my ED

10-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
True Story
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW 540xi M Sport Stage 2

Planning my ED

Hi guys,

Ever since the 1 series came out in 2007, I have always dreamed (fantasized) about taking delivery of a new BMW in Germany.

With my current lease set to expire in April, I am trying to plan my ED right around the time my Lexus is due back.

I do have a couple of questions in regards to the M2 and ED in general.

- How long does a ED build take, and when should I put my order in regards to an early April 2018 pick up?

- When placing an order with a dealership, do they automatically discount the build because its ED (I think Ive read its about 5% now) or do I have to fight them for it? Also, is it possible to discount the car further than that?

- I am looking to travel with 3 other passengers, would I even be able to fit everyone in the M2? I am looking to make the ED + take advantage of Europe with close friends and family, using my M2 instead of a car rental.

- How many carry-on bags or luggage can the M2 handle, considering 4 people with be in the car at all times?

- Will I have any issues visiting other countries, such as Czechia and Poland?

- How bad is car theft? I understand its a legit concern everywhere outside of Germany.

- Does the dealership take a deposit prior to me paying them for the car (Ive read 7 days prior to the ED that it has to be paid in full).

- What kind of deals can I look forward to hotel and flight rates and through whom?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
True Story
Rep

It looks like the build schedule is out until week 50 almost.

Let me rephrase the questions, is it possible to jump to an earlier scheduled build?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Story View Post
I do have a couple of questions in regards to the M2 and ED in general.

- How long does a ED build take, and when should I put my order in regards to an early April 2018 pick up?

- When placing an order with a dealership, do they automatically discount the build because its ED (I think Ive read its about 5% now) or do I have to fight them for it? Also, is it possible to discount the car further than that?

- I am looking to travel with 3 other passengers, would I even be able to fit everyone in the M2? I am looking to make the ED + take advantage of Europe with close friends and family, using my M2 instead of a car rental.

- How many carry-on bags or luggage can the M2 handle, considering 4 people with be in the car at all times?

- Will I have any issues visiting other countries, such as Czechia and Poland?

- How bad is car theft? I understand its a legit concern everywhere outside of Germany.

- Does the dealership take a deposit prior to me paying them for the car (Ive read 7 days prior to the ED that it has to be paid in full).

- What kind of deals can I look forward to hotel and flight rates and through whom?
Hi - just got back late Friday from my M2 ED trip.

ED or not, an M2 takes about two weeks to build. They recommend ordering three months ahead of time, but it can be done in less time; however, they don't build a lot of M2s, so you should get on a waiting list with a dealer right away. For an April 2018 ED, you'll need a first quarter 2018 allocation, & those will be released to dealers about two months from now in mid-Dec.

Dealers don't automatically give the 5% ED discount - you likely have to ask for it, but you should not have to fight for it. Some dealers are refusing to honor it, which is their prerogative, but if that is the case, keep looking for another dealer who will. You're not likely to get a further discount beyond that, however.

From my experience, you can fit four adults in the car, so long as the back seat passengers are no more than 5'9" tall, otherwise they will run out of headroom; however, the trunk is not likely to hold the luggage for more than 3 people (and that is based on small or medium size suitcases, NOT any large ones, and one backpack or similar sized carry-on per person).

Czech and Poland are both on the list of countries you can drive the ED car in.

I would not be overly concerned with car theft - just lock the car and NEVER leave the registration & insurance papers in an unattended car while you're on your ED trip (they will warn you repeatedly against leaving the papers in the car).

Yes, in most cases, the dealer will take a deposit at the time the order is placed. And, as you mentioned, it has to be paid in full 7-10 days before delivery.

I would not suggest you look forward to any hotel or flight deals - the ED packet that BMW sends out after you complete your ED Purchase Order has some alleged hotel deals, but the hotel cards they send are hopelessly outdated and the offered prices are quite high. As for flights, BMW used to offer discounted tickets on Lufthansa but that disappeared years ago.

Best of luck - it's an incredible car and an incredible experience - both met or exceeded my high expectations and I would not have done it any other way - for me, it had to be ED & I had to at least have the 5% discount.
      10-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
True Story
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Hi - just got back late Friday from my M2 ED trip.

ED or not, an M2 takes about two weeks to build. They recommend ordering three months ahead of time, but it can be done in less time; however, they don't build a lot of M2s, so you should get on a waiting list with a dealer right away. For an April 2018 ED, you'll need a first quarter 2018 allocation, & those will be released to dealers about two months from now in mid-Dec.

Dealers don't automatically give the 5% ED discount - you likely have to ask for it, but you should not have to fight for it. Some dealers are refusing to honor it, which is their prerogative, but if that is the case, keep looking for another dealer who will. You're not likely to get a further discount beyond that, however.

From my experience, you can fit four adults in the car, so long as the back seat passengers are no more than 5'9" tall, otherwise they will run out of headroom; however, the trunk is not likely to hold the luggage for more than 3 people (and that is based on small or medium size suitcases, NOT any large ones, and one backpack or similar sized carry-on per person).

Czech and Poland are both on the list of countries you can drive the ED car in.

I would not be overly concerned with car theft - just lock the car and NEVER leave the registration & insurance papers in an unattended car while you're on your ED trip (they will warn you repeatedly against leaving the papers in the car).

Yes, in most cases, the dealer will take a deposit at the time the order is placed. And, as you mentioned, it has to be paid in full 7-10 days before delivery.

I would not suggest you look forward to any hotel or flight deals - the ED packet that BMW sends out after you complete your ED Purchase Order has some alleged hotel deals, but the hotel cards they send are hopelessly outdated and the offered prices are quite high. As for flights, BMW used to offer discounted tickets on Lufthansa but that disappeared years ago.

Best of luck - it's an incredible car and an incredible experience - both met or exceeded my high expectations and I would not have done it any other way - for me, it had to be ED & I had to at least have the 5% discount.
This is fantastic feedback, thank you for taking the time to type that out.

Do you have any idea of how long it will take for your car to be delivered back to you?

Ive read somewhere that it could be up to two months.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is fantastic feedback, thank you for taking the time to type that out.

Do you have any idea of how long it will take for your car to be delivered back to you?

Ive read somewhere that it could be up to two months.
BMW gives a conservative estimate (which is understandable) of 6-8 weeks for the east coast, but most folks would probably say 4-6 weeks is more likely. I've only ordered one other new bimmer before and I got it in 4 weeks & a day after completion. Add several days for TX or add a couple more weeks for CA.
      10-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
True Story
Rep

I have contacted about 6 dealers in SoCal for an allocation for the M2 ED.

Two dealers have said they have no allocation at all.

Two have said they do, one wants over MSRP (he was upfront about it).

Another two said they dont have allocation but will soon, and that I should place my order at the beginning of January (to see what the "market" on the M2 will be like).

Since Im paying cash, should I arrange my order now as opposed to at the end of the year?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Another two said they dont have allocation but will soon, and that I should place my order at the beginning of January (to see what the "market" on the M2 will be like).

Since Im paying cash, should I arrange my order now as opposed to at the end of the year?
For ED, you can buy from any dealer in the country that has an allocation available - they can always request "courtesy delivery" as part of the ED Purchase Order to have it delivered to a local dealer, provided the local dealer accepts the request (if they don't at first, you can promise them service work to grease the wheels...).

If you want to do ED in April (make it 4/15 or later so you don't have to rent all season wheels & tires), then you have to have a first quarter allocation which will not be available until mid-Dec. If you wait until Jan, the first quarter allocations will most likely be gone by then. Your method of payment has no relevance to the ordering process. Don't pay over sticker.
      10-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
True Story
Rep

Awesome, thanks bobert - I'll be looking to place my order soon then.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:

Not sure why paying cash is a factor at all, from the dealers perspective it doesn't matter. Getting a Euro Delivery allocation for an M2 is pretty tough and not very likely in the So Cal area because the supply is still very tight there and dealers don't have much incentive to help out. I suggest getting on the phone with out of state dealers like AZ, NV etc. As far as waiting to see what the market looks like in a few months, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. The M2 has been in production and for sale in the U.S. since April of 2016 and the supply is still tight in most markets as witnessed by dealers still getting MSRP or in some cases even more than MSRP. I don't see anything changing in the next 6-12 months that would loosen up that supply. It is clear BMW has found a sweet spot on supply that makes sure dealers don't have a bunch of cars sitting on their lots depreciating. If you want an M2 the best thing to do is make a ton of phone calls, you will absolutely find an allocation but expect to pay MSRP or very close to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Not sure why paying cash is a factor at all, from the dealers perspective it doesn't matter. Getting a Euro Delivery allocation for an M2 is pretty tough and not very likely in the So Cal area because the supply is still very tight there and dealers don't have much incentive to help out. I suggest getting on the phone with out of state dealers like AZ, NV etc. As far as waiting to see what the market looks like in a few months, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. The M2 has been in production and for sale in the U.S. since April of 2016 and the supply is still tight in most markets as witnessed by dealers still getting MSRP or in some cases even more than MSRP. I don't see anything changing in the next 6-12 months that would loosen up that supply. It is clear BMW has found a sweet spot on supply that makes sure dealers don't have a bunch of cars sitting on their lots depreciating. If you want an M2 the best thing to do is make a ton of phone calls, you will absolutely find an allocation but expect to pay MSRP or very close to it.
So true... My original CA was in Cali (used to be here in MD 5 yrs ago) and when I first contacted him in Jan about doing M2 ED in Oct, he said we'd be fine since I contacted him just early enough. Come June, when third quarter allocations were released, we were apparently NOT fine as far as an allocation and he disappeared. I got a tip on this website for an available allocation in TX only 48 hours later and I got lucky the dealer in TX was willing to do ED for the ED MSRP. Folks on this site often post available allocations on here to help each other out, and those that are posted are usually quickly spoken for.
      10-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
True Story
Rep

From a dealer a few hours away

"Good afternoon Mark,

Thank you for sending your build. I just confirmed with my GSM that we are giving you the ED discount of 5% on the M2. I will keep you up to date with our allocations and let you know as soon as one becomes available so we can then go ahead and finalize everything. In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day."

Im going to try and negotiate some free black grills and some other goodies, what else should i ask for included in the deal?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #12
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

With my current lease set to expire in April, I am trying to plan my ED right around the time my Lexus is due back.
You may need to do a bit of juggling here. If you're planning to pick up the M2 in Munich in April, the car most likely won't be redelivered to you in California until about 8 weeks after you drop off the car in Europe. Are you OK with 1 less car for a few weeks?

Although this dealer a few hours away from you agreed to do ED, you still need an allocation to make a reservation for the delivery date in Munich. I don't know when you'll get the allocation but all the dates can't really be fixed until you get that. Once you have an allocation (or production number) you'll be able to request a delivery date. And once that is set, then you can get your airline and hotel reservations going. Fortunately, air fares are still very reasonable in April and finding lodging should not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
True Story
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
You may need to do a bit of juggling here. If you're planning to pick up the M2 in Munich in April, the car most likely won't be redelivered to you in California until about 8 weeks after you drop off the car in Europe. Are you OK with 1 less car for a few weeks?

Although this dealer a few hours away from you agreed to do ED, you still need an allocation to make a reservation for the delivery date in Munich. I don't know when you'll get the allocation but all the dates can't really be fixed until you get that. Once you have an allocation (or production number) you'll be able to request a delivery date. And once that is set, then you can get your airline and hotel reservations going. Fortunately, air fares are still very reasonable in April and finding lodging should not be a problem.
Thanks so much for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
From a dealer a few hours away

"Good afternoon Mark,

Thank you for sending your build. I just confirmed with my GSM that we are giving you the ED discount of 5% on the M2. I will keep you up to date with our allocations and let you know as soon as one becomes available so we can then go ahead and finalize everything. In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day."

Im going to try and negotiate some free black grills and some other goodies, what else should i ask for included in the deal?
Congrats on finding a dealer willing to work with you on ED. That is great. I wouldn't get my hopes up on any free goodies, doesn't hurt to ask but getting an ED discount on an M2 is likely as good as you can do right now. Keep an eye on the dealership because from my experience a fair number of sales advisors will tell you that you are next in line, waiting on an allocation etc only to string you along. Until you have an actual allocation all you have is a promise. For that reason I would probably make a few more phone calls and see if you can find a dealer with an allocation locked in. My personal experience is I had three dealerships that took deposits for spots in line only to never deliver.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #15
DBL-R
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 & 2011 X5d

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hello,
I place my order for ED in July, picked up on 9/25 in Munich, dropped off in Vienna on 10/2 and received notification that it will be on the boat departing 11/3 arriving in Los Angeles on 12/2 then through customs and then trucked to Denver. So, you might want to take that into consideration.
Appreciate 0