BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Oct/Nov/Dec Allocations - post here

10-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #67
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
While I don't see anything wrong with it, it does seem odd that your CA wants you to apply for credit on something that doesn't exist yet.

The CA should be able to give you a production number if you really have an allocation. They go hand in hand. Sounds like the CA has yet to secure your allocation.

Now a VIN won't be available until there is actually a car scheduled to be built.
I think perhaps they want to make sure I can afford the car? But still seems a bit strange since I already told them I got a lower rate with my bank and they did not offer anything lower.

So they should have a production number even if they don't know the build week yet? Is that even possible, secured allocation but don't know when the car will be build?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #68
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate
Quote:
While I don't see anything wrong with it, it does seem odd that your CA wants you to apply for credit on something that doesn't exist yet.

The CA should be able to give you a production number if you really have an allocation. They go hand in hand. Sounds like the CA has yet to secure your allocation.

Now a VIN won't be available until there is actually a car scheduled to be built.
I think perhaps they want to make sure I can afford the car? But still seems a bit strange since I already told them I got a lower rate with my bank and they did not offer anything lower.

So they should have a production number even if they don't know the build week yet? Is that even possible, secured allocation but don't know when the car will be build?
Same problem here with my CA. Got a call last month about allocation, tells me I'm looking at possible December delivery. I forget to ask about production number, I email and call but no response yet as of today.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #69
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

I could be wrong, it quite possibly has happened before, but I thought the production number is the allocation. So, it is possible to get the 7-digit production number, representing that an allocation has been secured for you, and not get the build week just yet.

My CA told me that the build week could lag behind by a day or so.

I don't think they can actually submit an order without the production number, meaning that an allocation for a car has been obtained.

I got my production number & build week when the order was submitted.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #70
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR18 View Post
Same problem here with my CA. Got a call last month about allocation, tells me I'm looking at possible December delivery. I forget to ask about production number, I email and call but no response yet as of today.
Last month? He should be able to give you a production number & build week by now... if he actually got the allocation.
Have you provided the order details?
Sunday starts week 41. Unless your CA is getting a pre-existing allocation (someone backed out) it would be difficult to get 2017 delivery with a build week beyond week 46. Maybe beyond that if you're on east coast.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #71
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR18 View Post
Last month? He should be able to give you a production number & build week by now... if he actually got the allocation.
Have you provided the order details?
Sunday starts week 41. Unless your CA is getting a pre-existing allocation (someone backed out) it would be difficult to get 2017 delivery with a build week beyond week 46. Maybe beyond that if you're on east coast.
Ya I provided order details over the phone and he emailed me the preliminary buyer's order the next day. No production number anywhere on it. He did mention he was going to provide the vin number, but only when the car goes into production. Going to give him one more week to figure what the heck going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #72
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post

I was given an order number about an hour after I agreed to place an order with my CA. As others have said, you don't get your VIN until after production starts, which is about 2 weeks before the production completes, the week number of which you should also be given by your CA.

I believe, though I'm not sure about this, that the CA doesn't have a production number for you until the order is assigned to you on the BMW system. Like I said, it took about an hour to get this over email, and once I did, I could see that my name was also assigned to the order.

I think it's possible that each dealer is given a certain number of allocations, which at that point don't have production numbers. Once the order is placed, a production number is generated, and a production week is estimated. You can change the build until production starts, so maybe some dealers spec them themselves initially and then have order numbers to hand, and if they wait to place the order until they have a customer this doesn't happen. This seems logical, but I don't know if that's exactly what happens or not.

Every dealer is different, but I didn't even have to hand over any money to place my order. I filled in a form with my credit card details, but was never actually charged. My CA told me that it's not legal to have a non-refundable deposit, so it's sort of meaningless, running the charge has a small fee associated with it, and that particular dealership just doesn't do it. I also didn't need to run a credit check.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #73
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I was given an order number about an hour after I agreed to place an order with my CA. As others have said, you don't get your VIN until after production starts, which is about 2 weeks before the production completes, the week number of which you should also be given by your CA.

I believe, though I'm not sure about this, that the CA doesn't have a production number for you until the order is assigned to you on the BMW system. Like I said, it took about an hour to get this over email, and once I did, I could see that my name was also assigned to the order.

I think it's possible that each dealer is given a certain number of allocations, which at that point don't have production numbers. Once the order is placed, a production number is generated, and a production week is estimated. You can change the build until production starts, so maybe some dealers spec them themselves initially and then have order numbers to hand, and if they wait to place the order until they have a customer this doesn't happen. This seems logical, but I don't know if that's exactly what happens or not.

Every dealer is different, but I didn't even have to hand over any money to place my order. I filled in a form with my credit card details, but was never actually charged. My CA told me that it's not legal to have a non-refundable deposit, so it's sort of meaningless, running the charge has a small fee associated with it, and that particular dealership just doesn't do it. I also didn't need to run a credit check.

Thanks for the details. Were you given a build week at the same time when you got the production number or that came later?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #74
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the details. Were you given a build week at the same time when you got the production number or that came later?
Yes, build week and production number. The two go hand in hand. It's possible that your CA only shared one with you, but if one exists, the other does also.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #75
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, build week and production number. The two go hand in hand. It's possible that your CA only shared one with you, but if one exists, the other does also.
Hmm, my CA is telling me that we'll get a production number when the car goes into production. Something doesn't sound right?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #76
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, my CA is telling me that we'll get a production number when the car goes into production. Something doesn't sound right?
Doesn't sound right to me...

OK, so your CA should be able to give you an actual status. The important ones for you at this point are:

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production

A production order is in status 87 until it's an order. It moves to 97 when your CA sends the order to BMW in Germany, and moves to 111 when BMW Germany accepts it. I believe that it's at this point that it gets a production number.

You can see on my timeline in my signature that mine moved from 97 to 111 in the space of a day. I was traveling at the time in Europe, so it may have been shorter than 24 hours, but that's the time I checked.

It sounds to me that your CA doesn't have an available allocation, and is stringing you along until he/she does.

Last edited by Nezil; 10-06-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #77
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't sound right to me...

OK, so your CA should be able to give you an actual status. The important ones for you at this point are:

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production

A production order is in status 87 until it's an order. It moves to 97 when your CA sends the order to BMW in Germany, and moves to 111 when BMW Germany accepts it. I believe that it's at this point that it gets a production number.

You can see on my timeline in my signature that mine moved from 97 to 111 in the space of a day. I was traveling at the time in Europe, so it may have been shorter than 24 hours, but that's the time I checked.

It sounds to me that your CA doesn't have an available allocation, and is stringing you along until he/she does.
To clarify, how come in status 87 production week is assigned before 97 where order is sent to AG. So it seems my CA is lying, or what else could explain the status given to me
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #78
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

First thing the dealer should give you if he has an allocation is a production number, the week may vary depending on plant production. VIN is assigned after it goes into production.

If you get a production number, call BMW Genius (1-844-443-6487). They can give you same info as CA can and go over options you picked but you need either a production or last 7 digits of the VIN number. As somone else said you can go to bmwusa.com, click on "my bmw", "add a vehicle", put in last 7 digits of the VIN or production number. You can pick any last digits from a VIN on cars.com to see how it works and delete. Will need to create an account if you dont have one but that no big deal.

Maybe he knows he is getting an allocation in December but if that is true he wont have a production number or VIN. He could be even trying to make a trade with another dealer for a car like you want it spec'ed

Last edited by damills; 10-09-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #79
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
First thing the dealer should give you if he has an allocation is a production number, the week may vary depending on plant production. VIN is assigned after it goes into production.

If you get a production number, call BMW Genius (1-844-443-6487). They can give you same info as CA can and go over options you picked but you need either a production or last 7 digits of the VIN number. As somone else said you can go to bmwusa.com, click on "my bmw", "add a vehicle", put in last 7 digits of the VIN or production number. You can pick any last digits from a VIN on cars.com to see how it works and delete. Will need to create an account if you dont have one but that no big deal.

Maybe he knows he is getting an allocation in December but if that is true he wont have a production number of VIN. He could be even trying to make a trade with another dealer for a car like you want it spec'ed
Thanks for the info. I'm now told it's at status 112 right now and will go to status 111 as the next step when BMW tells us. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #80
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm now told it's at status 112 right now and will go to status 111 as the next step when BMW tells us. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yes, it only changes to 112 a few weeks before production starts. Look at my signature for an example timeline.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #81
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your CA doesn't have a clue. Is he new?
Status 111 is when the submitted order is accepted. This should happen within a day of submitting the order.
At this point you should have a build week.
Then status 112...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #82
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your CA doesn't have a clue. Is he new?
Status 111 is when the submitted order is accepted. This should happen within a day of submitting the order.
At this point you should have a build week.
Then status 112...
Not new, I'm thinking it's more like he doesn't really have a allocation yet until Dec maybe. Because I keep getting that we got the allocation, but it'll take a few months probably before they start building. But I'm not given a production number.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #83
jazzyinco
Registered
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Just called the Genius today and my car is scheduled into production starting today, Week 42 completion. LBB.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #84
jazzyinco
Registered
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

VIN VD362XX, Prod 0777XXX
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #85
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep