BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > HRE R101s in Brushed Dark Clear

07-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

HRE R101s in Brushed Dark Clear

Hey guys,

Finally got my wheels from WheelsBoutique! It was quite a long wait at nearly three months but, in the end, totally worth it. I had my wheels shipped to Sean Hutchisson, owner of Taurus Auto Detailing in Austin, TX. First task was to get them properly coated. Sean did a great job. Here's what he did:
  • Cleaned all wheels with Optimum No Rinse wash solution
  • Chemically and mechanically decontaminated surfaces with clay and Optimum Ferrex
  • Lightly polished surfaces with Opticoat Pro primer polish
  • Cleaned wheels with Optimum Paint Prep to remove any polish residue
  • Applied Opticoat Pro to all surfaces of wheel face and barrel
  • After coating had flashed, I leveled any excess and inspected for high spots
  • Let coating cure for one hour and applied Optimum Optiseal as an added layer of protection until Opticoat Pro has fully cured

If you're local, I would definitely recommend him. His shop is immaculate and so is his work. Thanks DetailersDomain for the recommendation.

And here are the wheels, post treatment:

I then took them over to Elite Racing Development where Ashton and Alex took great care of me. I only nabbed one pic while there but the shop is awesome and home to some amazing machinery. I could not have received better customer service while there. Ashton is amazing. I also highly recommend these guys if you're local to Austin.

And here are some shots of the wheels finally on the car!

Hope y'all enjoy the pics!

M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread

Last edited by confusion; 08-10-2016 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 4
metrickid3027.00
HRE_Wheels2117.00
      07-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

nice! i saw some pic on your flikr account. very nice car

Last edited by 1bmwaddict; 08-01-2016 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Looks great!
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

What's wrong with people?
This car is epic, give it some love guys!
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
What's wrong with people?
This car is epic, give it some love guys!
Ha, thanks. I'll repost some pics of the car. I think the wheels by themselves are apparently not that exciting.

metrickid Did you disable PMs or is your mailbox full? No worky...
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Ha, thanks. I'll repost some pics of the car. I think the wheels by themselves are apparently not that exciting.

metrickid Did you disable PMs or is your mailbox full? No worky...
People don't know whats best for them...

It's set to friends only, I just befriended you. Got so many questions I got tired of having it all open.
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Fantastic fitment. I was wondering if 295/30-19 would fit. Tires ordered.
Appreciate 2
metrickid3027.00
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Beautiful car man! Are your offsets a conspiracy theory or are you willing to share? Thanks!
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Love that finish on the LBB
      08-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
Beautiful car man! Are your offsets a conspiracy theory or are you willing to share? Thanks!
I honestly have no idea why it's such a big secret but, as you seem to be aware, they did ask that they not be disclosed.
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
I honestly have no idea why it's such a big secret but, as you seem to be aware, they did ask that they not be disclosed.
Do you think 305's would work in the rear?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't mind HRE doesn't want you to disclose them or WheelsBoutique? I find it terrible either way that they would tell you you can't share that kind of information with the community. I was deciding between HRE wheels or Brixton Forged wheels and considering they are about the same price, HRE just lost my business because I would never do business with them if they really don't want their offsets shared with others.

P.S: My gripe isn't with you, your car is awesome! Just hate that some companies resort to "secrets" about their products.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
If you don't mind HRE doesn't want you to disclose them or WheelsBoutique? I find it terrible either way that they would tell you you can't share that kind of information with the community. I was deciding between HRE wheels or Brixton Forged wheels and considering they are about the same price, HRE just lost my business because I would never do business with them if they really don't want their offsets shared with others.

P.S: My gripe isn't with you, your car is awesome! Just hate that some companies resort to "secrets" about their products.
Why would they take the time to perfect their fitment for you to just copy that at a competitor?

If you are buying HRE wheels they will tell you the offset no problem in the ordering process so your rant is a bit premature. They just don't want them EVERYWHERE, they are no secret to prospective buyers.
Appreciate 1
confusion601.00
      08-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Do you think 305's would work in the rear?
Yes, they originally offered to put 11.5" rear. I didn't want that huge of a stagger so opted for 295 on 11".

Quote:
If you don't mind HRE doesn't want you to disclose them or WheelsBoutique?

Here is a quote from WB when I was engaging about my purchase:

Quote:
HRE doesn’t divulge offset information until a customer places a deposit down but they are VERY similar to the M3/M4. Widths would be 19”x9.5” // 19”x11.5” OR 20”x9.5” // 20”x11.5”. The only fitment that is still be tested is a 19”x10” front. For those lowering their M2’s a 19” is recommended. Those staying on stock height will be able to run the 20’s comfortably.
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would they take the time to perfect their fitment for you to just copy that at a competitor?

If you are buying HRE wheels they will tell you the offset no problem in the ordering process so your rant is a bit premature. They just don't want them EVERYWHERE, they are no secret to prospective buyers.
Listen man from a business standpoint I understand they are the first ones at the table and they want to corner the market for now while they can but lets also be real how much longer are their offsets going to be exclusive? I always thought the goal of these boards was to help inform other members and to be a "family" atleast that's how I have always tried to be on here.. HRE wheels aren't for everyone yet they would rather watch fellow members order expensive wheels and get the wrong sizes or offsets and waste thousands of dollars rather than help others out. Shows where their priorities are, they only care about money and not the actual members of this board. If they were confident in their wheels they wouldn't need their offsets to be a secret because everyone would buy them anyway and not go to competitors.

I will end my rant there because I do not want to derail this thread and take away from the beauty of the OP's car! Sorry OP enjoy the new wheels and thanks for answering my questons!
      08-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

I hear you but it isn't like offsets are a big secret 2 months after the car is out. By now, every reputable wheel manufacturer has concluded offsets that work perfectly with the M2 and I would bet many have, by chance, the exact same offsets as HRE. The competitive advantage for something like this is short lived... it's also not rocket science where someone else won't figure it out a month later regardless of disclosure.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
WheelsBoutique
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I loved working with you D. Would love to use some of these photos with your permission so that we can post it on our website as well as HRE's.

Quote:
Listen man from a business standpoint I understand they are the first ones at the table and they want to corner the market for now while they can but lets also be real how much longer are their offsets going to be exclusive? I always thought the goal of these boards was to help inform other members and to be a "family" atleast that's how I have always tried to be on here.. HRE wheels aren't for everyone yet they would rather watch fellow members order expensive wheels and get the wrong sizes or offsets and waste thousands of dollars rather than help others out. Shows where their priorities are, they only care about money and not the actual members of this board. If they were confident in their wheels they wouldn't need their offsets to be a secret because everyone would buy them anyway and not go to competitors.

I will end my rant there because I do not want to derail this thread and take away from the beauty of the OP's car! Sorry OP enjoy the new wheels and thanks for answering my questons!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I hear you but it isn't like offsets are a big secret 2 months after the car is out. By now, every reputable wheel manufacturer has concluded offsets that work perfectly with the M2 and I would bet many have, by chance, the exact same offsets as HRE. The competitive advantage for something like this is short lived... it's also not rocket science where someone else won't figure it out a month later regardless of disclosure.
And to address the offset topic, here is the best way to answer as quoted from HRE:

"We get asked this question a lot so let me shed a bit of light on it. The most simplistic answer without going crazy into detail would be that we spend a significant amount of money in R&D to verify offsets, fitment, what tire sizes work, and so forth, for each individual vehicle. That proprietary information that we retain from posting on forums or anywhere else for that matter (aside from FlowForm where offsets are public information), is because we don't want to give away that information for free. We don't want to hide this information from the end consumer who ultimately buys wheels - which is why if you purchase a set of wheels, you'll know the offsets - it's primarily because we don't post that information for other companies and manufacturers to take for themselves.

Ultimately for those who are interested in purchasing a set, if you see a picture of a vehicle with the most perfect fitment, the easiest thing to do is save that picture, and we can ultimately verify what fitment was used, and build that exact diameter, width, offset whatever you'd like, for your set too."

Believe me, if any company cares for their customers AND potential customers it's HRE Wheels.
      08-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #18
ethirtyultra
Rep
Drives: E30

amazing, fitment looks great, love it!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #19
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:

you're upset a business is in business to make money? If you want proper size and offset you can order from them. if you are concerned about size and fitment from other vendors then avoid them. but its not fair to ask hre to help you have a good experience buying elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
metrickid3027.00
      08-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #20
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
you're upset a business is in business to make money? If you want proper size and offset you can order from them. if you are concerned about size and fitment from other vendors then avoid them. but its not fair to ask hre to help you have a good experience buying elsewhere.
Absolutely not.. But if you speak to some other companies on this forum they aren't snobby and can care less if you want to buy from another company.. I spoke with Apex Wheels about the Avant Garde wheels I was buying at the time for my 235 and they still spent over 20 minutes on the phone talking to me about fitment options and even said to me they understand that their wheels aren't for people looking for more of a flashy wheel. Some people are in it because of true love of the game so to speak and some strictly care only about money..

I understand business is business but actually telling your customers they can't tell other people what offset their wheels are is absude.. I can see if HRE directly doesn't want to tell people their offsets but telling your customers is a different ball game. So according to them I go to a car meet with their wheels on my car a bunch of people ask me what sizing and offsets they are and I am supposed to be a jerk and be like its a secret.. Yeah right

P.S. I didn't ask HRE, I asked the OP who was instructed by HRE to not disclose his offsets with anyone
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely not.. But if you speak to some other companies on this forum they aren't snobby and can care less if you want to buy from another company.. I spoke with Apex Wheels about the Avant Garde wheels I was buying at the time for my 235 and they still spent over 20 minutes on the phone talking to me about fitment options and even said to me they understand that their wheels aren't for people looking for more of a flashy wheel. Some people are in it because of true love of the game so to speak and some strictly care only about money..

I understand business is business but actually telling your customers they can't tell other people what offset their wheels are is absude.. I can see if HRE directly doesn't want to tell people their offsets but telling your customers is a different ball game. So according to them I go to a car meet with their wheels on my car a bunch of people ask me what sizing and offsets they are and I am supposed to be a jerk and be like its a secret.. Yeah right

P.S. I didn't ask HRE, I asked the OP who was instructed by HRE to not disclose his offsets with anyone
You are taking things way out of proportion. No one from HRE tells you to take the offsets to the grave. Before I got my wheels I talked to HRE about offsets and they asked me not to put them publicly on the forum (that is all), this is before they even knew I would get them and they had no problem discussing fitments.

When I finally got my wheels through a dealer no one has mentioned anything about keeping the offsets secret. They are printed on the back of the wheels etc. So no one is stopping you from telling someone on a car meet, they just don't want a HRE offset thread on the biggest forums in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsBoutique View Post
I loved working with you D. Would love to use some of these photos with your permission so that we can post it on our website as well as HRE's.
I still plan on getting a proper photo shoot done at some point but feel free to use any images that you want. Shoot me a link if you do.

Thanks!
Build Thread
Appreciate 0