BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinatronics Sport Performance Tuner or Dinatronics X or don't waste my money??

02-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Dinatronics Sport Performance Tuner or Dinatronics X or don't waste my money??

2018 OG M2. Currently fully stock from an engine/performance standpoint... ...well will be putting on an aluminum charge pipe soon...

So at the risk of being told multiple times just do BM3 or etc. I'm in CA and like the idea of simply having a piggyback module that I can either turn off or simply remove to return the car back to stock. The car will NEVER be tracked (sad I know) and it's really just to get a few more "around town" HP. I had a co-worker that had the Sport Performance Tuner and really liked it. And yes I know the gas (octane) situation sucks here.

A few questions (I've searched but have not found all these answers):

1) What are the risks/downsides of these piggy back units? I would assume one would be getting CELs for putting it in "race mode" and not having the proper octane - so a knock CEL? Are there additional risks from not upping the IC, etc for just around town use?

2) Can any one speak about how they like or disliked the Sport Performance Tuner? Does anyone actually have the Dinatronics X unit and can vouch for it? FYI it appears to simply be the newer unit with additional modes and a pending CARB certification.

3) For the gas situation could I just add Octane boost per a "recipe" to get 93+ or is this an art more than a science?

4) Anything else I'm leaving out?

Thanks so much!

Dinatronics Sport Performance Tuner for OG M2:
https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0010

Dinatronics X for OG M2:
https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0130

Hope it's ok if I post the links...

Last edited by BLOJOE; 02-23-2022 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Depends on what your definition of "back to stock" is. Any tune, be it a piggyback or flash tune (like BM3) will leave evidence even after removal if a dealer really wants to look in the computer.

BM3 is capable of flashing back to stock and re-locking the DME, if that was your concern. It can also do things like adjust burble length/loudness, cold start delete, etc. which IMO is a huge functionality advantage.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Depends on what your definition of "back to stock" is. Any tune, be it a piggyback or flash tune (like BM3) will leave evidence even after removal if a dealer really wants to look in the computer.

BM3 is capable of flashing back to stock and re-locking the DME, if that was your concern. It can also do things like adjust burble length/loudness, cold start delete, etc. which IMO is a huge functionality advantage.
Yeah my warranty is expired anyway so I guess the "evidence" part doesn't really matter since any repair most likely would be out of pocket.

So I know it's unfounded but my fear of a BM3 type tune is the fact that I'm doing it myself with a computer. Seems like 1/10 updates I do on computers crash LOL and to me just installing a "box" that does something seems safer. If the "box" doesn't work just uninstall the box... I might be over simplifying...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Sport tuner sucks. Makes shifting less smooth and gives limp mode on track.

I’d def go BM3, if not just for the added logging and diagnostic capabilities vs the Dinan X. Plus flash tunes provide more power and are smoother than the piggybacks.

However, I don’t know how in depth CA is scanning under their new “can’t modify software” inspection law, and if BM3 flashed and locked back to stock would be detected. I’m guessing you’d be fine.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      02-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Sport tuner sucks. Makes shifting less smooth and gives limp mode on track.

I’d def go BM3, if not just for the added logging and diagnostic capabilities vs the Dinan X. Plus flash tunes provide more power and are smoother than the piggybacks.

However, I don’t know how in depth CA is scanning under their new “can’t modify software” inspection law, and if BM3 flashed and locked back to stock would be detected. I’m guessing you’d be fine.
I have a manual so I don't know if that helps with the shifting situation and I would never track. Yeah that smog issue is a concern - I don't know either and I'd have to do some homework to try and understand it. The Dinan X has been put in for a CARB exemption per the website so ideally by the time I would need to get the car smogged (in 4 years) I'd hope the exemption passes and I just smog it with it installed (or just physically remove it).

"Testing with the California Air Resources Board, in order to achieve 50-state compliance, is pending with CARB. Once testing is complete with California, and an E.O. number is issued, this product will be updated to 50-state legal status."
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I think a better question is what are you going to do for fuel? CA gas is so bad that there’s a specific BM3 ACN 91 map to use.

I’d be really hesitant about just adding a psi here and there with the Dinan solutions if you’re stuck with CA ACN 91.

At least the BM3 maps are pretty well tested, and flash tunes are quicker to respond to any knock events, vs piggybacks.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      02-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #7
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Yeah I would go with BM3, its honestly better for your car than a plug in sport tuner and has a map specifically for CA gas.
As for the computer aspect, I suck at this stuff too and I find BM3 to be easy to use and fast, especially if you flash with a laptop which I do. Flashing over a phone Bluetooth is sketch for me.
And yes, you need to flash back to stock and let your car go through a full drive cycle before you would take it in to have it smog tested in the future. I hear about a month in advance should be good, or you can look up what a full drive cycle on the M2 entails and do it manually yourself ( something I haven't researched enough yet ) and you should be fine. At least I hope bc a lot of us will be in the same boat. If car is flashed back to stock I can't imagine CA can do anything about it.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      02-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

1) What are the risks/downsides of these piggy back units? I would assume one would be getting CELs for putting it in "race mode" and not having the proper octane - so a knock CEL? Are there additional risks from not upping the IC, etc for just around town use?

No risk, these are well-proven tunes. No CEL either, as long as you run the recommended maps for your mods and fueling.

You can run it on the stock intercooler, but it'll run a lot more consistent with the upgraded intercooler

3) For the gas situation could I just add Octane boost per a "recipe" to get 93+ or is this an art more than a science?

no need to add octane; keep it with 91 and run the 91 map

I recommend you get all your mods at the same time, we offer combo deals that will save you money when you bundle parts, and you will also save money on labor when getting the charge pipe and intercooler done at the same time.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      02-24-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

No risk, these are well-proven tunes. No CEL either, as long as you run the recommended maps for your mods and fueling.

You can run it on the stock intercooler, but it'll run a lot more consistent with the upgraded intercooler

no need to add octane; keep it with 91 and run the 91 map

I recommend you get all your mods at the same time, we offer combo deals that will save you money when you bundle parts, and you will also save money on labor when getting the charge pipe and intercooler done at the same time.
Thanks Mike for the reply! It's appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOJOE View Post
Thanks Mike for the reply! It's appreciated!
My pleasure, please let me know if you have any other questions

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #11
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Dinantronics vs BM3

I initially ran the Dinantronics Stg 1 with a Dinan Intercooler and a fabspeed 200 cel sportcat.....it was a great setup, lots of power. For better or for worse I then added the "Big Turbo" (which is only a wee bit bigger, and mainly opened up power from 4-6,500 rpm). When I added the turbo I pulled the Dinantronics piggyback and switched over to the BM3 tune and a 300 cell Fabspeed cat (quieter upon my wife's request). So the transition makes it hard to compare but I suspect the Dinantronics and the BM3 would achieve very similar results.
...AND..
Living in California it is good to have either a tune which you can remove yourself (ie BM3....so easy!!!) instead of a Dinan tune that needs to be removed by a technician...or the piggyback which could be turned off and would be very unlikely to be noticed by the smog check tech.
All good fun....most power/$ would be the BM3 tune, sport cat and a larger intercooler.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50