BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best Intake?

05-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #45
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The oil is the filter for the small stuff. The gauze is just for the big stuff
I hear what you're saying.
I know some guys who have run window screening, zip tied over their turbo inlet for thousands of miles and had zero issues. At least I have some kind of filter, LOL!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #46
TuningTech FS
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes, & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
None to be fair

BMS & Eventuri have CEL reports from some users. Heat soak as a result of their design is also an issue.

Dinan being a CAI, would be an option but it requires cutting of the strut brace, so not really worth it

AFE like DINAN offers a decent CAI but it looks like something you'd find in a grass cutters engine

Add that oil in most filters apparently does harm to the MAF sensors & that in terms of performance you're really looking at nothing... It's hard to recommend anything

If you really feel the need to do it, best bang for the buck is a drop-in filter with the oil cleansed out
You read my mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #47
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

For anyone who cares...

I removed my atock intake with K&N "cleansed" drop in filter last week and replaced it with a Dinan CAI. I drove the car twice since the Dinan CAI was installed, and I really don't notice much difference. There does not seem to be any performance gain. If anything, I can "hear" the turbo, compressed air, and diverter valve a little more than with the K&N, but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #48
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
For anyone who cares...

I removed my atock intake with K&N "cleansed" drop in filter last week and replaced it with a Dinan CAI. I drove the car twice since the Dinan CAI was installed, and I really don't notice much difference. There does not seem to be any performance gain. If anything, I can "hear" the turbo, compressed air, and diverter valve a little more than with the K&N, but that's it.
Intake will nor provide noticeable performance gains.

Get closed intakes for the looks, open intakes for the sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
///cbrash
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Injen intake users! Any one getting CEL?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///cbrash View Post
Injen intake users! Any one getting CEL?

thanks
Injen is one of the better ones when it comes to CEL.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #51
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Cts turbo. No cel. 3k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #52
///cbrash
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Cts turbo. No cel. 3k miles
Good intake sound?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #53
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Pretty pronounced whistle. Good sound
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #54
GreyF87
HawaiiM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 05 G35

CTS...Good Price ....MSR...loooks greatthough, but really pricey.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #55
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

the OEM Airbox is quite efficient.

Best bang for buck, probs go with a BMC Drop in Air Filter.
Possibly some better sound/throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #56
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuiet View Post

Agree with the stock box being one of the better ones. I have intakes on a lot of my cars, they look cool as hell but the performance enhancement is negligible, with the possibility of degrading performance if the design is sucking hot air from the engine bay. As far as the JB4 taking car of the CEL, that's true, but from what I have read, the HPFP runs out of steam at upper RPM's causing the M2 to fall flat on it's face. I had installed a JB4 on my 08 135i (N54) and was blown away by the difference it made. I bought one to install on my M2, but never installed it, ended up selling it. Even BMS states the since the N55 M2 comes from BMW in a fairly high state of tune, the JB4 offers little improvement in reliable power due to fueling issues at high RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #57
genesyslv
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
None!! Save your money and just get a downpipe and drop-in filter .
^ This. None of the aftermarket intakes will give you any real performance increase. A DRY high quality air filter will give you a little more intake noise and save you a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #58
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesyslv View Post
^ This. None of the aftermarket intakes will give you any real performance increase. A DRY high quality air filter will give you a little more intake noise and save you a ton of money.
Which air filter did you get or planning to get?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #59
genesyslv
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Which air filter did you get or planning to get?
I'll probably end up buying an aFe Pro Dry and using an air compressor to blow it out once a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #60
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Just did a oil chge @7500 miles and add a BMC air filter.
Quote:

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:12 AM   #61
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Agree. I had the Eventuri Intake, sounded great but doesn't actually do anything else. I have the BMC drop in filter!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #62
jcrb
Not-So-New Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 M3, 16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Agree. I had the Eventuri Intake, sounded great but doesn't actually do anything else. I have the BMC drop in filter!
How do you compare the sound of Eventuri and BMC drop in?

Core of WrongFitmentCocks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #63
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrb View Post
How do you compare the sound of Eventuri and BMC drop in?
The Eventuri has a very noticeable sound when driving but after going catless it wasn't as loud but you could still hear it. Sounded great. I can't tell you what the BMC filter is like because I'm catless and now have a catback, so honestly I don't hear the whooshing sounds anymore since the exhaust is loud, I just hear the turbo spool out of the exhaust. I'm not sure if the BMC filter would add much sound, but if you're definitely looking to get the classic Intake sound then an intake like the Eventuri will do that. But if you're after performance then the stock airbox with a drop in filter is fine/imo safer/cost effective.
Appreciate 1
Z378710.50
      10-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #64
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

As mentioned, already, no intake will "gain power" in a boosted application. NA more noticeable but boosted not so much.

Also intakes these days are really to make sound not power. Modern intake with a high flow filter are equal or better than the aftermarket ones. Just see air flow bench tests for proof stock is that good now

Random thought, on the Eventuri , has anyone tried to make a enclosing shroud? Design give you bling but also heat soak. Would be better if closed. Just a thought.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #65
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesyslv View Post
I'll probably end up buying an aFe Pro Dry and using an air compressor to blow it out once a month or so.
I have the AFe. Great whooshing sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #66
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
BMS reviews

Arif L. (5 stars)
Mike was awesome to deal with, I had encountered a weird issue with the install and he and his team were right on it! I'm very happy with my intake and definitely looking forward to my future purchases.

Grant E. (4 stars)
I have one major issue with this intake. They have a bracket that slides into the factory intake housing. this bracket uses some ungodly small bolt size to screw into the intake. I have a full automotive tool set and I still don't have the size needed to secure it tightly. You can't use a socket due to how the bracket is built, you'll need an open end box wrench to do it. My guess is 4-6mm which is very uncommon. Why they didn't try an allen head bolt is strange. I would think it would allow enough room to tighten it up. Other than that it works as intended, increase noise and maybe more power.

Injen

nick m. (5 stars)
Easy install, nice intake sound

Eldaes (5 stars)
This is the first of a many step process for my F30 335i. Install was easy, but since I am a klutz, i kept dropping the nuts. You can definitely hear more of whats going on under the hood. Rode around for a day with it on, and I'm already breaking necks. Definitely worth the money.

colby b. (5 stars)
This thing rocks. Pretty quick and easy to install (was literally grilling food while I did it). Fired up the car this morning (read: cold start), and wow... you can hear a lot more of what's really going on under the hood. I also found that the sound of the exhaust is cleaner. I've only had it on for a day so I'm still getting used to it, but so far, I'm really happy with it.

Hunter P. (5 stars)
The fit and finish is great for the intake. I chose this intake due to the aluminum piping as opposed to others that are plastic. The wrinkle black finish looks great. Feel a little more power, but is more noticeable with a tune. Sound is incredible. This paired with MPE or other exhaust sounds amazing! Highly recommend but is quite a bit louder than stock

Billy P. (3 stars)
This intake produces some nice sounds and is very audible outside or inside the cabin. I got the wrinkled black finish and the quality is pretty good for the price. Great product if you're looking for some extra sound.

However, I was one of the unlucky few that got a CEL because the MAF sensor didn't like the increased air flow. You'd probably need a tune to calibrate the sensor and then everything should clear up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
BMS reviews

Arif L. (5 stars)
Mike was awesome to deal with, I had encountered a weird issue with the install and he and his team were right on it! I'm very happy with my intake and definitely looking forward to my future purchases.

Grant E. (4 stars)
I have one major issue with this intake. They have a bracket that slides into the factory intake housing. this bracket uses some ungodly small bolt size to screw into the intake. I have a full automotive tool set and I still don't have the size needed to secure it tightly. You can't use a socket due to how the bracket is built, you'll need an open end box wrench to do it. My guess is 4-6mm which is very uncommon. Why they didn't try an allen head bolt is strange. I would think it would allow enough room to tighten it up. Other than that it works as intended, increase noise and maybe more power.

Injen

nick m. (5 stars)
Easy install, nice intake sound

Eldaes (5 stars)
This is the first of a many step process for my F30 335i. Install was easy, but since I am a klutz, i kept dropping the nuts. You can definitely hear more of whats going on under the hood. Rode around for a day with it on, and I'm already breaking necks. Definitely worth the money.

colby b. (5 stars)
This thing rocks. Pretty quick and easy to install (was literally grilling food while I did it). Fired up the car this morning (read: cold start), and wow... you can hear a lot more of what's really going on under the hood. I also found that the sound of the exhaust is cleaner. I've only had it on for a day so I'm still getting used to it, but so far, I'm really happy with it.

Hunter P. (5 stars)
The fit and finish is great for the intake. I chose this intake due to the aluminum piping as opposed to others that are plastic. The wrinkle black finish looks great. Feel a little more power, but is more noticeable with a tune. Sound is incredible. This paired with MPE or other exhaust sounds amazing! Highly recommend but is quite a bit louder than stock

Billy P. (3 stars)
This intake produces some nice sounds and is very audible outside or inside the cabin. I got the wrinkled black finish and the quality is pretty good for the price. Great product if you're looking for some extra sound.

However, I was one of the unlucky few that got a CEL because the MAF sensor didn't like the increased air flow. You'd probably need a tune to calibrate the sensor and then everything should clear up
I loved the sound of the BMS intake!! But, I have tested the BMS intake in three different M2 and all got a CEL.
Appreciate 0