Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
BMW Marketing Competing Against Itself

Is this an attempt to get OG owners to move on to a newer model or just make them feel bad about their previous purchase? Either way not cool. Don't ever remember seeing an ad like this before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
DanG10845.00
Fuji550i391.50
2+3=5285.00
      07-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Interesting angle. I guess they are trying to say that the M240ix is an acceptable upgrade to the OG M2. But I am not buying it.
Appreciate 4
omasou2093.00
ried793.00
///M TOWN22104.50
M2RAW121.00
      07-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Interesting angle. I guess they are trying to say that the M240ix is an acceptable upgrade to the OG M2. But I am not buying it.
Just what the word was with the M340i vs. F80...it is about the same 0-60....and that is where the story ends...
Totally different cars, different feel...
Once you go an M, non-M feels so...ordinary
Appreciate 2
omasou2093.00
///M TOWN22104.50
      07-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

It's just to make M240 buyers feel better about their purchase…that they now have a car "better" than an M without having to buy an M.

I know what I have in my OG, and that doesn't change regardless of what the M240 is capable of.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN22104.50
M2RAW121.00
      07-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
It's just to make M240 buyers feel better about their purchase…that they now have a car "better" than an M without having to buy an M.

I know what I have in my OG, and that doesn't change regardless of what the M240 is capable of.
If it is anything like the M340i, then I'm sorry to say, it is objectively faster and more powerful than the (N55) M2 and it has the crown jewel of the M cars; same identical rear Active Limited Slip diff as the M2.

The M340i doesn't look like much of a screamer from the outside but once you start putting your foot down to the pedal, it shoots off into an oblivion and pushes you back into your seat, like one of those tuned N54s, with full bolt-ons.

I know, you think I'm nuts. But humor me and drive one first and then come back and tell me that BMW is full of it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If it is anything like the M340i, then I'm sorry to say, it is objectively faster and more powerful than the (N55) M2 and it has the crown jewel of the M cars; same identical rear Active Limited Slip diff as the M2.

The M340i doesn't look like much of a screamer from the outside but once you start putting your foot down to the pedal, it shoots off into an oblivion and pushes you back into your seat, like one of those tuned N54s, with full bolt-ons.

I know, you think I'm nuts. But humor me and drive one first and then come back and tell me that BMW is full of it.

What most people seem not to understand is that HP/TRQ do not make an M car.

In Spartanburg, when the plant first opened BMW CCA held a M Day event.

During our factory tour they showed us a "normal" rear bushing and M bushing. It was a night and day difference in size. There is sooo much more to an M car than the engine.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:

During our factory tour they showed us a "normal" rear bushing and M bushing. It was a night and day difference in size. There is sooo much more to an M car than the engine.
So some slight differences in bushings make or breaks an "M" car? Is that the standard now..

As someone who masterbates to BMW official technical training manuals, I can assure you that other than a few pieces here, maybe an "S" engine and a more boisterous exhaust, nowadays, BMWs are built very modular, thus, there is very little difference between the M model offerings and standard BMWs, especially today's M Performance variants.

Please, I'm not trying to go against your perspective, just adding my own.. #Namaste
Appreciate 1
JustChris17605.50
      07-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
HP/TRQ figures do not make any car, not just an M car. There is a lot more to it, even in one dimensional cars like a Hellcat. You still have the size and weight of the car, the weight distribution, suspension.. and on and on. This silly metric (when taken by itself) is about as meaningful as discussing different driving roads based on their length and speed limit only. Without discussion of their locale, elevation changes, scenery, traffic considerations, biker/pedestrian presence, number of lanes, typical in seasons daytime weather.. and on and on.
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
So some slight differences in bushings make or breaks an "M" car? Is that the standard now..

As someone who masterbates to BMW official technical training manuals, I can assure you that other than a few pieces here, maybe an "S" engine and a more boisterous exhaust, nowadays, BMWs are built very modular, thus, there is very little difference between the M model offerings and standard BMWs, especially today's M Performance variants.

Please, I'm not trying to go against your perspective, just adding my own.. #Namaste
I guess I am going to disagree. Real M BMWs have an upgraded suspension and engines compared to M Performance models of the same generation. Even the OG M2 had engine upgrades compared to the M235i. It also had M3/M4 suspension components.
Appreciate 3
omasou2093.00
///M TOWN22104.50
      07-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess I am going to disagree. Real M BMWs have an upgraded suspension and engines compared to M Performance models of the same generation. Even the OG M2 had engine upgrades compared to the M235i. It also had M3/M4 suspension components.
What's so upgraded about them? It's the same tech BMW been using for 20 years; a shock is a shock and a sensor is a sensor.

You know what's the difference between the Adaptive Suspension setup in an M car VS a standard models? The shock body is of the M cars are made of aluminum and is has accelerometer sensors at each wheel.

The Adaptive Suspension in a standard BMW shock body is made out of steel and has two accelerometer sensors; one in the front and one in the back of each wheel.

That's what you get with your bespoke M suspension, a few ounces of weight saved and an more effective sensor(s). That's it, the underlying engineering is all the same.

Now, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, if anyone wants to prove to me that the M cars are that far above the pay grade of a moden M Performance vehicle, then I'm all ears.

I'm always willing to humble myself and accept new information but I know I'm objectively right..

Edit: All my fury aside, I'm still getting a next gen M2, as I need the manual transmission in my life ..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Is this an attempt to get OG owners to move on to a newer model or just make them feel bad about their previous purchase? Either way not cool. Don't ever remember seeing an ad like this before.
BMW really dunked on OG M2 owners.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17605.50
omasou2093.00
      07-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Lol are OG M2 owners really that upset? It's called engineering and progress. This has been going on with BMW since the N54 335i was faster than the E46 M3…
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I don’t buy my cars for 0-60 times. Apparently a lot of people do nowadays. Sad.
Appreciate 2
omasou2093.00
M2RAW121.00
      07-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #14
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I don't buy my cars for 0-60 times. Apparently a lot of people do nowadays. Sad.
Yea man, you right; everyone knows that a standard model MP BMW handles like a boat and could never hold a candle next to a fully-marketed, - ah, - I meant, anointed M car!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]BMW's motto: [/COLOR]THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE - but only if you spring for the M version..

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Of all the ridiculous marketing advertising BMW has recently performed, this ad doesn't even show up on the radar. 382 hp is more powerful than 365. They're simply stating a fact. Another fact is high horsepower figures plays huge factor in driving sales. Unfortunately, the overly hyped 0-60 metric isn't going anywhere, too.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17605.50
      07-10-2021, 07:46 PM   #16
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

It's the natural progression of things as technologies trickle down from generation to generation. Although I can't quite put my finger on what it is about that marketing angle that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe the timing of it is just "too soon?"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Doesnt the Z4 M40i ring faster then the OG M2 also? I don't think that snipped was a BMW marketer stat though.
      07-11-2021, 05:20 AM   #18
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

While…

WE NEED YOUR VEHICLE!

If your needs have changed, we may have the solution for you, WE NEED YOUR VEHICLE!

Every month two dealerships where I had my car serviced compete to offer a higher price range for my LCI
Appreciate 1
ried793.00
      07-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

recall m235i vs 1M debacle and the nonsensical marketing that went behind it
      07-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #20
Lokguru
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M50i, M2C MT | '18 M3

Garage List
Well, it's all what you prefer. What person A might call awesome driving experience to what person B might call could be different. Respect that.... To me, just my personal take - When I test drove M340i Xdrive, it was putting down the torque and zipping through smoothly than my 2018 F80 MT. But it was not giving me the feel and pleasure that I get with my F80 MT. On a red light race, M340i Xdrive will zip past mine easily...but I always wanted to keep driving the F80, and that never ending desire is what I look for when I buy a personal sports car within my budget. It's just a feel for me, again just my personal craziness.

For me, again just my preference, I have decided to keep trading in to only get an pure M car RWD MT, even if the Xdrive Mxxxi could be more efficient in putting power on road and far better value/engineering. When BMW stops producing manual RWD Ms, I will hold on to my last M MT till it becomes expensive to maintain - at that point I will switch to electric I4M50 or whatever comes at that time..

With the above crazy preference, I traded in my F80 and now waiting for F87M2C MT to be delivered. Was thinking on getting G80 MT, but somehow liked the F87MT better and wanted to save some $$(~$16K) as I over spend on a 2021 X5M50i family hauler. Few years down the road, in 2027 or so, will trade F87 for G87 MT....

So, test drive and get the one that gives you the feel that you love and will find excuses to drive every time you get a chance...
Appreciate 1
omasou2093.00
      07-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #21
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

<snip video>

Seems I should have explained better.

You can read technical specifications all day long. They will never tell you the entire story. For example, with computers everyone compares RAM, HD, etc. but "usually" never talk about mother board speed. Hope you get the point of the comparison. Anyway, my point is that there are a LOT of little changes as small as bushings that "together" comprise a M car.

Since joining the forums again after purchasing my OG M2 and later M2C, I find it very amusing how folks talk about straight line speed, HP, TRQ and what I consider silly comparisons between brands based on which is faster. I sort of get it, if someone wants to try another brand, I've done that, so I don't judge others but myself, I have finally settled on BMWs.

The M or is it MC or is it MCS or is it GTS…well anyway the M moniker is supposed to be the BEST example of a particular BMW series. It's not the speed, the seats, the mirrors or the quality of leather…it's the entire package and the best street car that can be tracked. Do some track rats gut their cars and stiffen them beyond what should make sense? Yes, b/c they want a track car that is streetable. Hope we don't need to fork the thread about this point.

Are there other cars in a series that are fantastic? Of course there are…they are BMWs. What other brand can I get a 5 series wagon loaner, throw 4 sets of tires in the back and takes the twisties like I can in my M? Not many that I know of.

Lastly, my X4 M40i may have the same engine as the OG M2 and forgetting the ride height, weight, etc. it still isn't a M car. It's very nice and I love it but it's just not on the same level as even my OG M2.

Lastly, lastly, the next model year ALWAYS has a "normal" series car that is faster than the previous series M car doesn't make it a M just faster.

Once you go M you don't want to go back.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's so upgraded about them? It's the same tech BMW been using for 20 years; a shock is a shock and a sensor is a sensor.

You know what's the difference between the Adaptive Suspension setup in an M car VS a standard models? The shock body is of the M cars are made of aluminum and is has accelerometer sensors at each wheel.

The Adaptive Suspension in a standard BMW shock body is made out of steel and has two accelerometer sensors; one in the front and one in the back of each wheel.

That's what you get with your bespoke M suspension, a few ounces of weight saved and an more effective sensor(s). That's it, the underlying engineering is all the same.

Now, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, if anyone wants to prove to me that the M cars are that far above the pay grade of a moden M Performance vehicle, then I'm all ears.

I'm always willing to humble myself and accept new information but I know I'm objectively right..

Edit: All my fury aside, I'm still getting a next gen M2, as I need the manual transmission in my life ..
Not sure if you're into bicycles but based on your statements, I would be happy w/Deore and never buy XTR again but we know that will never happen

You can of course over simplify the facts to support your point of view. For example, your shock comment we all know the reason they used aluminum in shock body to reduced un-sprung weight.

It's the totality of the little things that make an M car and why you cannot upgrade a standard series car to a M car through the parts counter.
Appreciate 0