BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Akrapovic Hidden exhaust mode

05-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
M2 Akrapovic Hidden exhaust mode

I have recently seen a lot of threads showing the hidden exhaust mode on the stock exhaust and MPE. My question is dose this mode work on Akrapovic exhaust ? Dose it sound and crackles the same as MPE?
Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Yes, the Akrapovic retains the stock valve movement if you don't upgrade to their sound kit.
You get one additional OEM exhaust valve to mount on the other side when you buy the exhaust and just piggy pack the stock electronics to mimic it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Yes, the Akrapovic retains the stock valve movement if you don't upgrade to their sound kit.
You get one additional OEM exhaust valve to mount on the other side when you buy the exhaust and just piggy pack the stock electronics to mimic it.
Ok this is a good place to throw in this question which has been nagging at me. I have the MPE which is obviously a valve exhaust. Does the MPE eliminate the stock exhaust valves or are the MPE valves in addition to the stock? If so where are the stock valves located? Are the stock valves still controlled by the driving mode button i.e. Comfort, Sport, Sport + ? I know the MPE valves are controlled separately by its own controller.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Ok this is a good place to throw in this question which has been nagging at me. I have the MPE which is obviously a valve exhaust. Does the MPE eliminate the stock exhaust valves or are the MPE valves in addition to the stock? If so where are the stock valves located? Are the stock valves still controlled by the driving mode button i.e. Comfort, Sport, Sport + ? I know the MPE valves are controlled separately by its own controller.
The valve on the stock exhaust are moved over to the Akrapovic. I don't know if BMW supplies an extra valve to the MPE or if it comes with two new but either way it replaces the stock valve as it is installed on the muffler which is removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
The MPE has it's own valves. The valves are located near the muffler.
With the MPE, the driving mode button no longer controls the valves.

The hidden exhaust mode, is actually nothing to do with the valves and instead an ecu setting to make glorious sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Quote:
The MPE has it's own valves. The valves are located near the muffler.
With the MPE, the driving mode button no longer controls the valves.

The hidden exhaust mode, is actually nothing to do with the valves and instead an ecu setting to make glorious sounds.
So what you're saying is if you have MPE the driving mode button has no effect on the exhaust but instead alters sound via the ECU depending on the mode?

So to me this is interesting. On a stock exhaust for example if you select Sport or
Sport + the valves open in addition to ECU changes making the car louder. In a car with MPE no valves open in this scenario unless you choose to open the valves yourself with the MPE controller. So does this mean if you choose not to open those valves and go to track mode a car with stock exhaust and open valves in the the Sport modes will sound louder than the MPE car? :
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So what you're saying is if you have MPE the driving mode button has no effect on the exhaust but instead alters sound via the ECU depending on the mode?
Correct

Quote:

So to me this is interesting. On a stock exhaust for example if you select Sport or
Sport + the valves open in addition to ECU changes making the car louder. In a car with MPE no valves open in this scenario unless you choose to open the valves yourself with the MPE controller.
Correct

Quote:

So does this mean if you choose not to open those valves and go to track mode a car with stock exhaust and open valves in the the Sport modes will sound louder than the MPE car? :
Who's on first?? I had to read this bit a few times to understand the question, I may still not.
To make it simple, an MPE will always sound louder than a standard car. An MPE in it's quiet mode is still louder than a standard car with valves open.
Then the MPE in 'track' mode (i.e. exhaust valves open) is the loudest.

Having the car in 'traction' mode (hidden exhaust mode), i.e. pressing the traction button once, gives you the snap, crackle & pop burbles regardless of the exhaust. The MPE car will sound louder in that mode than the standard car. It's the way I drive the car most of the times, changing gears manually (DCT).

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
DOMs335D220.50
      05-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

does this mean that this hidden mode applies for the MPE and the 3rd party exhausts as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct

Quote:

Sport + the valves open in addition to ECU changes making the car louder. In a car with MPE no valves open in this scenario unless you choose to open the valves yourself with the MPE controller.
Correct

Quote:

So does this mean if you choose not to open those valves and go to track mode a car with stock exhaust and open valves in the the Sport modes will sound louder than the MPE car? :
Who's on first?? I had to read this bit a few times to understand the question, I may still not.
To make it simple, an MPE will always sound louder than a standard car. An MPE in it's quiet mode is still louder than a standard car with valves open.
Then the MPE in 'track' mode (i.e. exhaust valves open) is the loudest.

Having the car in 'traction' mode (hidden exhaust mode), i.e. pressing the traction button once, gives you the snap, crackle & pop burbles regardless of the exhaust. The MPE car will sound louder in that mode than the standard car. It's the way I drive the car most of the times, changing gears manually (DCT).

Hope that makes sense.
Hahaha sorry for the confusion I tried to word it as precisely as I could. That's the best answer to this I've heard in fact the only answer that addresses it exactly. That's what I wanted to know if MPE is louder than stock even when stock valves are open and MPE valves are closed. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
does this mean that this hidden mode applies for the MPE and the 3rd party exhausts as well?
Yes to MPE and most likely yes to any other Exhaust. The hidden mode is more a programmed overrun to create those burbles in the exhaust. How those gases are then expelled out and the tone/volume/intensity it produces, is then a function of the exhaust design. But you'd still hear them.
Appreciate 1
bimmercar181.50
      05-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
Yes to MPE and most likely yes to any other Exhaust. The hidden mode is more a programmed overrun to create those burbles in the exhaust. How those gases are then expelled out and the tone/volume/intensity it produces, is then a function of the exhaust design. But you'd still hear them.
Dose Akrapovic with stock downpipes cracle the same like MPE/Stock ?
Appreciate 0