BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to use a GoPro (hero 5 session)?

04-21-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 CS (LRG)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Angry How to use a GoPro (hero 5 session)?

This is so incredibly frustrating it's unbelievable.
Anybody knows if there is a manual or official instructions how to use a GoPro with BMW?

I have a hero5 session, I'm looking for both :
1. using gopro with M Laptimer
2. using the iDrive to control camera settings

Information on the topic is ridiculously sparse and highly insufficient.
About M Laptimer: I believe I can correctly connect the camera since some messages clearly state that. But camera image is not showing anywhere. I don't understand how the app works: how am I supposed to review the tracked session with video like the sample sessions? How does the video is retrieved/associated/does it need to be on phone? obviously it is in the camera's SD.

Using iDrive: I found something online saying the camera sould be in "app mode" what it that? They also mention GoPro app, which I believe is now superseded by Capture. I start Capture on the phone, connect phone usb cable to car, nothing seems to happen or no particular options show up in menus.

Any help is _very_ appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by pmilani; 04-21-2017 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Short answer mate is it's fucked.

I have the same setup and it's very patchy.

First you need to connect to the camera from the phone via wifi. Once you can see images on the phone via the Capture app that's step 1

Then connect the phone to the car via USB and open the M Laptimer app and it should all work.

However, I have he GoPro connected via the front tow mount & the wifi is so week between the phone and camera that the picture keeps cutting out.

In the end I purchased a Video VBOX HD2 and have not looked back!!
Appreciate 1
pmilani43.50
      04-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
voinea
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 (MG) 6MT

same problem here. I cannot see gopro in menu of the M2.

I have connected camera to iphone. Iphone to car by cable (not just bluetooth). On the phone if I go into Capture App I can see live video. In the car I don't get in M Laptimer info about my Session 5
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
BMW update the iOS app yesterday with official support for hero 5 and session. It might be worth retesting it?
Appreciate 1
pmilani43.50
      04-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
voinea
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

lol... is like the know

will update now and test later
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
voinea
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Is working now. I am happy
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Jamesembry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Short answer mate is it's fucked.

I have the same setup and it's very patchy.

First you need to connect to the camera from the phone via wifi. Once you can see images on the phone via the Capture app that's step 1

Then connect the phone to the car via USB and open the M Laptimer app and it should all work.

However, I have he GoPro connected via the front tow mount & the wifi is so week between the phone and camera that the picture keeps cutting out.

In the end I purchased a Video VBOX HD2 and have not looked back!!

What is the best way to hook the go pro to the front tow hook?
1986 IROC Z Camaro
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesembry View Post
What is the best way to hook the go pro to the front tow hook?
BMW sells an accessory for this purpose: "BMW M Performance Track Fix for GoPro cameras"
This:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Yep all working here in the U.K. too following the update. Very happy. When you start the laptimer it automatically starts recording. The live view has quite a bad delay however, when I tested it out just it only shows a still every few seconds. Will try tomorrow properly on a run out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
So actually for 2 times already I've tried M Laptimer and no success. It shows info as if camera is connected, and even the command to shut it off works.
When I hit record the camera starts recording just as if I did it without the app: at the end there is no video associated in the M laptimer session itself.

For those saying it works, have you done the same test?

Also out of curiosity, how long does your camera go on battery? I had 80% charge and it shut down after about 20 minutes!? quite disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Not sure about the GoPro5, but I recently bought the Sony HDR-AS300 to replace my (frustrating) GoPro4 Silver. I can not tell you enough how much better the AS300 is. The optical stabilizer is amazing and the battery life's definitely better than the GoPro4. Just check the comparison on YouTube. I bought the "kit" so it comes with a mini LCD remote with a wristband or you can use it on a lanyard. The AS300's only 1080P. If you want 4k, then go with the AS3000. After having 2 GoPro's and trying the Sony, I'll never go back to GoPro's.

Following are some videos I took from my last autocross. The external videos are from the GoPro4. Noticed the poor audio quality. The interior/windshield videos are from the AS300. See how much smoother they are. If they ask for a password to view, use "bmw" - off course.

Appreciate 2
vugz1044.00
pmilani43.50
      05-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
Not sure about the GoPro5, but I recently bought the Sony HDR-AS300 to replace my (frustrating) GoPro4 Silver.
Thanks man, really appreciate you posting your videos and your experience.
Kinda makes me confused now. I actually think the image quality of the newer Hero5 is really good tbh, and it has optical IS. It's all the mess with making it work integrated to other software that is letting me down.
In your case I suppose you just hit record on the Sony and that's it. I can do as much on the gopro and it'd be fine. If it wasn't for the fact that I want to integrate the video with the M Laptimer app. Which didn't work for me even after the latest update.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
jason86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI (AW)

I am just wonder if the M lap timer apps only compatible to the Gopro camera? Other brand of sport camera which even also have the wifi function isn't going to work with this BMW apps?
Appreciate 0