BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 6MT Rev Matching Experiences

10-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #23
Mad One
Jersey
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Also worth noting is that in comfort and traction the rev matching is quite subtle. In sport and sport + it adds revs and is more aggressive even when driving sedately. For that reason I don't drive around town in Sport or Sport +. Otherwise I agree with the consensus here. Was worried about it but living with it I now quite enjoy it. Would be perfect if you could switch off via idrive or a button to practice yourself without having to deactivate DSC but is only a minor criticism.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I never knew it did that... So you never really give it gas while letting go of the clutch in 1st?
No gas, just let out the clutch and it auto revs, car starts to move. Pretty weird feeling at first to get used to but its very helpful in stop and go traffic, less foot work to do.
Had I freaking known that before DCT..... Oh wells
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Ya it's an awesome feature they don't advertise. I have a somewhat steep lip on my garage entrance and it's great to have the car auto-rev and do the work for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
Ya it's an awesome feature they don't advertise. I have a somewhat steep lip on my garage entrance and it's great to have the car auto-rev and do the work for me.
One of my main reasons choosing dct was traffic in and out of nyc everyday by the tunnel. I love the car but still, had I known this I might've just sucked it up.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #27
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad One View Post
Also worth noting is that in comfort and traction the rev matching is quite subtle. In sport and sport + it adds revs and is more aggressive even when driving sedately. For that reason I don't drive around town in Sport or Sport +.
I like the higher revs and only drive in Sport+, actually makes the car easier to drive for me and more fun
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #28
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
I like the higher revs and only drive in Sport+, actually makes the car easier to drive for me and more fun
I mostly do it in Sport for the same reason - the throttle response is better for shifting gears I find.

I only ever drive it in Comfort if it's 4am and I don't want to wake up more than 1/3 of the neighbourhood haha.
Appreciate 2
D CHOI581.00
Seagull287.50
      10-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #29
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but don't all cars do that anyway or is it something different to how manual M cars usually behave? The reason I ask is I remember being taught to do this to help with parking when I was learning to drive. I've used it in various Golfs (Mk1s and Mk5), an old Corolla and a 350z. Provided I eased off the clutch it worked flawlessly. Or have I completely lost the plot (which is not only possible, but probable!).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #30
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but don't all cars do that anyway or is it something different to how manual M cars usually behave? The reason I ask is I remember being taught to do this to help with parking when I was learning to drive. I've used it in various Golfs (Mk1s and Mk5), an old Corolla and a 350z. Provided I eased off the clutch it worked flawlessly. Or have I completely lost the plot (which is not only possible, but probable!).
They don't. While you should learn this skill and it's the best way to learn how to modulate the clutch and get a feel for it (my STi, I could shift into 2nd without any throttle on flat ground), the M2 actually revs up.

So, clutch in, neutral, engine at 750RPM. When you start letting off the clutch (no throttle), the car revs up to 1k or just past and the car starts moving. Most other manuals that don't have this will start dropping revs at this point which is why you have to be really careful and smooth on clutch release if you're trying to get going without throttle.

With this, you can almost side step the clutch from a stop with no throttle and it won't stall.
Appreciate 2
D CHOI581.00
      10-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #31
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
They don't. While you should learn this skill and it's the best way to learn how to modulate the clutch and get a feel for it (my STi, I could shift into 2nd without any throttle on flat ground), the M2 actually revs up.

So, clutch in, neutral, engine at 750RPM. When you start letting off the clutch (no throttle), the car revs up to 1k or just past and the car starts moving. Most other manuals that don't have this will start dropping revs at this point which is why you have to be really careful and smooth on clutch release if you're trying to get going without throttle.

With this, you can almost side step the clutch from a stop with no throttle and it won't stall.
Correct, i didn't have this on my 1999 Civic when i learned to drive manual but wish i did, would of made learning a lot easier than stalling all the time lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
I mostly do it in Sport for the same reason - the throttle response is better for shifting gears I find.

I only ever drive it in Comfort if it's 4am and I don't want to wake up more than 1/3 of the neighbourhood haha.
I leave for work by 6a daily...I have a DP and muffler delete. I still pull out of my garage in Sport+; luckily my house is close to our development's exit

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      10-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #33
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

I've now driven my car 1300 miles and I HATE THE AUTOMATIC REV MATCHING thing. I've been driving manual shift cars for 45 years and I will never let the damn computer do it for me. As a result, I drive mine in Sport Plus with the traction off all the time.

One of the posts above mentioned something about an M3/M4 thread that claims it can be coded out. Anyone have that specific link? I'm going to investigate that more because I would like to be able to leave the traction control on and not have the computer help me downshift.
      10-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #34
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

How did you guys turn yours off? I put the car into sport + and it was still auto-rev matching for me..
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #35
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
I leave for work by 6a daily...I have a DP and muffler delete. I still pull out of my garage in Sport+; luckily my house is close to our development's exit
And if you happen to encounter your "neighbor's best friend" in the wee hours, you know what to do.
Sebis186.50
      10-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #36
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
One of the posts above mentioned something about an M3/M4 thread that claims it can be coded out. Anyone have that specific link? .
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
One of the posts above mentioned something about an M3/M4 thread that claims it can be coded out. Anyone have that specific link? I'm going to investigate that more because I would like to be able to leave the traction control on and not have the computer help me downshift.
Maybe this thread ? http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1168116
      10-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #38
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
How did you guys turn yours off? I put the car into sport + and it was still auto-rev matching for me..
You have to turn off traction control. Hold DTC button for 5 seconds until car screens light up with warnings.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #39
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
I am in love with the feature. It makes the car super smooth to drive slow. I really enjoy it and was skeptical about it at first. Great feature.
I think it is fine as a feature, but you should be able to turn it off. I drive in efficient or sport around town stop/go, but when out on a twisty or doing some spirited driving in the F80 it is nice to toe/heel in sports+, it is more involving and changes the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I think it is fine as a feature, but you should be able to turn it off. I drive in efficient or sport around town stop/go, but when out on a twisty or doing some spirited driving in the F80 it is nice to toe/heel in sports+, it is more involving and changes the driving experience.
So you put the M2 in sport+ and do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #41
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
So you put the M2 in sport+ and do it yourself.
I think the issue is that you have to put it in DSC Off mode, so lose the safety nets. As to whether that might affect insurance if something happened....?

Anyway, thanks so much for all the replies above - they were all really helpful

Good to know that if I'm in the minority and find it intrusive, it can be coded out.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #42
nishmaster2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6Spd, '98 E36 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That is indeed the one. Those are the parameters that I used, and it worked just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #43
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post

Interesting feature! Further questions (just to make this even more clear for those who have to decide on 6MT or DCT):
A) When you are "in gear" (e.g. in second gear) without any throttle rolling against a traffic light. Will there be auto throttle to avoid engine falling below 1k or will it go down to 750RPM?
B) Is it possible to accelerate slowly through the gears 1-2-3-.. etc. with this auto throttle without ever pushing on the throttle yourself?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
Interesting feature! Further questions (just to make this even more clear for those who have to decide on 6MT or DCT):
A) When you are "in gear" (e.g. in second gear) without any throttle rolling against a traffic light. Will there be auto throttle to avoid engine falling below 1k or will it go down to 750RPM?
B) Is it possible to accelerate slowly through the gears 1-2-3-.. etc. with this auto throttle without ever pushing on the throttle yourself?
Good questions. I misread your first question so I didn't test rolling up to a light. I thought you had written leaving from a light.

A) leaving from a stop in 2nd, it won't rev up or down. You have to be smoother on the clutch release. That having been said it won't stall either. If you are in second and side step the clutch, the car will lurch, big down, and jerk and drop to 500ish rpm but it won't shut off. I haven't tried seeing the stall point in traffic but I'd imagine the car acts like any manual. When I let the RPMs drop too low, it bogged down, started lurching, and I didn't want to be the idiot who stalls their car

B) on flat ground, I was able to get the car into 5th with no throttle. The car speeds up with each gear to maintain what it needs to not stall so I was at 30MPH by the time I ran out of road. I'm sure I could have shifted into 6th but I ran out of road. However, the same behavior as A above was observed. It wouldn't rev up since the wheels were already in motion. But I could let out the clutch smoothly and relatively quickly and the shifts were smooth and easy without fear of stalling.

Hope this helps give you an idea. If you want a video to help see it better, I can go make one. I just didn't have anyone with me earlier to take the video.

Last edited by blackholescion; 10-29-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0