BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best street and occasional track suspension

05-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #23
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
From a sale listing I found:

Ohlins Suspension For 2007-2013 BMW M3 (E9x) - BMS MI40

product detail information

Spring Rate: Front: 60 N/mm // 343 lbs/in. // 6.12 k/mm - Rear: 120 N/mm // 686lbs/in. // 12.23 k/mm

This on a car with a curb weight of 3,704 to 4,145 lbs.

Strange then that the spring rate for the M2 which has a curb weight of 3,450 lbs. should be so much higher.

I wonder if the dampers are so different from this vehicle to those for the M3 that lower rate springs are not recommended?
Spring rates without wheel rates isn't too useful. For that, you need to calculate the motion ratios.

All that being said though, none of the other streetable coilovers from reputable companies are supplied with rates as high as Ohlins.

I'm happy with the rates I picked, and the settings I use on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #24
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
Spring rates without wheel rates isn't too useful. For that, you need to calculate the motion ratios.

All that being said though, none of the other streetable coilovers from reputable companies are supplied with rates as high as Ohlins.

I'm happy with the rates I picked, and the settings I use on a daily basis.
Some people can certainly tolerate higher rates than others. There isn't one correct setup or spring rate, it's what works for you and feels the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
I think for $2,300 the M performance suspension is tough to beat.

I went to the track a couple weeks with the factory settings. I was able to do 2 sessions but I was already a second faster than the original suspension. Local track is short, just 2.4 km.

then Yesterday night, I changed the rebound and compression shock settings to full soft. And the ride is pretty comfortable. I am now under the impression that the cars ride is more compliant than what it was when stock.
Very good to know thanks! Actually, I've seen the set for $1900! All the aftermarket stuff can't touch that. Dealer will even install it (for $1000). I was wondering about the ride on full soft, perhaps you can report back if you still find it compliant. I have noticed that BMW tends to use shocks that are too stiff and springs that are too soft.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #26
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Very good to know thanks! Actually, I've seen the set for $1900! All the aftermarket stuff can't touch that. Dealer will even install it (for $1000). I was wondering about the ride on full soft, perhaps you can report back if you still find it compliant. I have noticed that BMW tends to use shocks that are too stiff and springs that are too soft.
I didnt drive much with the suspension settings at full soft. Did a track day last sunday. And changed back to the factory M perf. settings. But, Yes the suspension felt pretty compliant at the softest settings. The car sits lower than stock but you can DD with this coilover. What bothers me a bit is the noises that come from having adjustable endlinks and camber plates.