BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Leaving iPhone/iPod charging in the armrest USB

05-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

Leaving iPhone/iPod charging in the armrest USB

As many of you have probably noticed yourself is that CarPlay and Bluetooth audio is so slow to load. I found the best solution was using an old iPhone as my USB music interface. It's easy to update my music library over wifi in my garage and is much more responsive than the other 2 methods of connecting. I know you can transfer via USB to the cars he'd but that's a hassle every time you download a new song. My question is this: does leaving an iPhone plugged into the armrest USB drain the battery? Does the iPhone stop charging automatically after awhile? Locking the doors doesn't stop it from charging. I realize I could just unplug and plug it in every time I get in and out of the car but that is not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
CarPlay does not play over BT, see post #5, http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1346531

I have noticed recently the car choosing BMW BT instead of CarPlay w/my phone but I think that is b/c I have gotten into a funky loop w/my work phone and it connecting to CarPlay first. When I switch from BMW BT to CarPlay the music sounds 100% better. Well not sure about better b/c I have not done an definitive comparison testing but the sound level increases and seems to sound better. So you might want to check that the phone is actually connected via CarPlay.

I find that CarPlay and the computer in the car in general is much faster, at least compared to my older X5, as I would expect, but I certainly would not call it slow.

Try this. Put the phone awake on the seat and lock the car and look to see if the iPhone battery/charge symbol is still on. This might not give you a definitive answer b/c I was surprised to noticed that when I lock the car the radar detector plugged into the car lighter near the cupholders was still on. I keep forgetting to look in to see if it's asleep when I come back after x minutes and even then bringing the key near the car may wake it up?

All this said, I use to leave an iPod nano in the X5 console w/o issue but I knew that outlet turned off w/the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
CarPlay does not play over BT, see post #5, http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1346531

I have noticed recently the car choosing BMW BT instead of CarPlay w/my phone but I think that is b/c I have gotten into a funky loop w/my work phone and it connecting to CarPlay first. When I switch from BMW BT to CarPlay the music sounds 100% better. Well not sure about better b/c I have not done an definitive comparison testing but the sound level increases and seems to sound better. So you might want to check that the phone is actually connected via CarPlay.

I find that CarPlay and the computer in the car in general is much faster, at least compared to my older X5, as I would expect, but I certainly would not call it slow.

Try this. Put the phone awake on the seat and lock the car and look to see if the iPhone battery/charge symbol is still on. This might not give you a definitive answer b/c I was surprised to noticed that when I lock the car the radar detector plugged into the car lighter near the cupholders was still on. I keep forgetting to look in to see if it's asleep when I come back after x minutes and even then bringing the key near the car may wake it up?

All this said, I use to leave an iPod nano in the X5 console w/o issue but I knew that outlet turned off w/the car.
Thanks for the response. I tried leaving the phone plugged into the armrest USB,left it out on the seat, then locked the doors to see if the charging would stop. It did not. The USB interface works really well though. It's fast and loads up as soon as the car starts up. With Bluetooth and CarPlay, it definitely stutters and struggles to connect sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
OP this is exactly what I did on my old Car and still do in the MINI. I have an old 30pin iPhone and snap in adapter and leave it in the car all the time. I have never had an issues with the car battery going flat.

I would still be doing it in the M2 if it was not for the fact my car has wireless charging in place of the snap in adapter Instead I purchased a 256GB USB stick and transferred my entire music collection to that. The 13GB in the car head unit was just too small!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
OP this is exactly what I did on my old Car and still do in the MINI. I have an old 30pin iPhone and snap in adapter and leave it in the car all the time. I have never had an issues with the car battery going flat.

I would still be doing it in the M2 if it was not for the fact my car has wireless charging in place of the snap in adapter Instead I purchased a 256GB USB stick and transferred my entire music collection to that. The 13GB in the car head unit was just too small!
I guess this is my best option until CarPlay improves in the future. Not a bad work around.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoominrex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Thanks for the response. I tried leaving the phone plugged into the armrest USB,left it out on the seat, then locked the doors to see if the charging would stop. It did not. The USB interface works really well though. It's fast and loads up as soon as the car starts up. With Bluetooth and CarPlay, it definitely stutters and struggles to connect sometimes.
The problem you're describing does not sound like a CarPlay problem. It sounds like a connection to BMW connect then switching to CarPlay.

Delete the device, re add it, select CarPlay. Don't plug it in to the USB while setting it up.

Then try using it for a while and not plugging it in until connected to see how it performs.
Appreciate 0