BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The Strange Siren Call of the Left Lane.....

01-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #67
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I can't remember does DFW have the exit ramps after the on ramps? By me it's exit first then on ramp and that seems completely logical. Other parts of the country I've been to have on first then exit so you constantly have this horrible mess of people crossing over each other.
It's a mix here, depending on the age of the road and the prevailing wisdom regarding highway design when the road was built. Because we have a high number of relatively new roads combined with older ones due to population growth, the mix is pretty balanced. Basically the only type of interchange we lack is the roundabout.

That said, there are very few left-lane exits on North Texas highways -- they're around, but they are not numerous -- and the type of exchange you're talking about (we call them "Frontage Roads" here) mostly exist along older highways that were built from the 1950s through the mid-1970s.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #68
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

We have a large left lane exit (actually two lanes) from one highway to another here in Ottawa. Idiots will get into the left lane at the complete opposite end of the city to "prepare" for the exit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #69
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
I can't remember does DFW have the exit ramps after the on ramps? By me it's exit first then on ramp and that seems completely logical. Other parts of the country I've been to have on first then exit so you constantly have this horrible mess of people crossing over each other.
It does in places. They also seemed to place the on ramps before the exit ramps, but so close that the traffic trying to exit backs up into the people trying to get on.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #70
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Actually, a bike can stop quicker than a car when conditions are dry and clean and is operated by a skilled rider. But that's rare on high-traffic public roads ... so, yeah.
I'd say it definitely depends on the situation. The problem with stopping a bike....more to the point a sport bike....is the issue of the relatively small contact patch of the skinny front tire and physics with the back end wanting to come up (stoppie).

It definitely takes a skilled rider to get all of the braking performance out of a bike. There's a guy who corner works at VIR when I'm down for the Superbike School. The dude is stupid fast. He was telling us how he was braking hard going into turn 12 before dropping elevation into the roller coaster. He said he had the rear end up in the air and muscled the bike over into the right turn corner. Wish I could have seen it.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #71
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

There's this thing called momentum too. Stop your car too fast and you hit the steering wheel, in a motorcycle you hit the asphalt.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #72
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'd say it definitely depends on the situation. The problem with stopping a bike....more to the point a sport bike....is the issue of the relatively small contact patch of the skinny front tire and physics with the back end wanting to come up (stoppie).

It definitely takes a skilled rider to get all of the braking performance out of a bike. There's a guy who corner works at VIR when I'm down for the Superbike School. The dude is stupid fast. He was telling us how he was braking hard going into turn 12 before dropping elevation into the roller coaster. He said he had the rear end up in the air and muscled the bike over into the right turn corner. Wish I could have seen it.
So he was in the midst of a stoppie while leaning into a downhill turn? His contact for both braking AND digging into the corner (and with suspension partially unloaded, and no power to help correct) was in the front?

Jesus, that's superhuman. If I ever ride a track again, I want a set of the tires he was running!
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
VRG_135836.50
      01-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #73
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Actually, a bike can stop quicker than a car when conditions are dry and clean and is operated by a skilled rider. But that's rare on high-traffic public roads ... so, yeah.

JamesNoBrakes : Just answer the question ... unless you're afraid of being shamed, because your attitude regarding this issue is rapidly devolving toward hypocrisy.
People that drive like a-holes hate being called out on it. My work is done here.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #74
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
People that drive like a-holes hate being called out on it. My work is done here.
If I drove like an a-hole during the decade I rode, sir, I'd be D-E-A-D. And I pretty much drive now like I rode.

Yes: your work is done here. Hypocrite.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #75
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Quote:
It does in places. They also seemed to place the on ramps before the exit ramps, but so close that the traffic trying to exit backs up into the people trying to get on.
I'm sure some civic engineer or whoever does this stuff had some sound logic, and you have to contend with nature after all, but some things like that make literally no sense to me. Unfortunately it's not like highways can be redesigned ground up, some of the stuff is quite old so you're building new crap on top of old crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #76
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
So he was in the midst of a stoppie while leaning into a downhill turn? His contact for both braking AND digging into the corner (and with suspension partially unloaded, and no power to help correct) was in the front?

Jesus, that's superhuman. If I ever ride a track again, I want a set of the tires he was running!
Yes. Ass end up braking hard then steering his bike into the corner. Not sure how big of a lean he had as he didn't say. Normally, I would cry BS. But I've seen this guy ride over the years with us. The corner workers as part of the perk of helping the school get free track time. Some times they're running with us students in rotation or they get a full session on the track by themselves when we're down for lunch or for refueling. He's blown by me a few times and I'm at awe with what he can do on the track. It also helps the guy is a retired Marine so he has that I don't give a crap about self preservation thing going.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #77
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Lane discipline? What the heck is that? I'm in Utah, people drive in whatever lane they want at whatever speed they want.
Do all of us Texans a favor and don't ever drive here.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #78
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
That's native Utahians, I learned to drive in California, I know what lanes are meant for

I've also driven in Texas and I can say with assured confidence that some of the drivers here would get ran off the road within minutes around DFW. Houston is probably the same way I bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #79
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Sarcasm, man. Sarcasm!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #80
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Venting today......

Sooo the guy gets on the freeway (Southlake 114 north) doing 60 in a 65, and about 100 feet in front of me moves into the fast lane, no turn signal, same speed (30ish guy in a big, new Chevy pickup). What a jerk! What an ignorant SOB!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #81
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Venting today......

Sooo the guy gets on the freeway (Southlake 114 north) doing 60 in a 65, and about 100 feet in front of me moves into the fast lane, no turn signal, same speed (30ish guy in a big, new Chevy pickup). What a jerk! What an ignorant SOB!!!!
Well, IIRC (and to be fair), 114 from Grapevine to TMS has a ton of left-turn exits because of its design (divided, large median, semi-rural, etc.). Could be he was getting ready to make one of those left turns.

Just sayin' ...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #82
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, IIRC (and to be fair), 114 from Grapevine to TMS has a ton of left-turn exits because of its design (divided, large median, semi-rural, etc.). Could be he was getting ready to make one of those left turns.

Just sayin' ...
No, northbound in Grapevine and Southlake don't have any left exits......but idiots aplenty!

ps......114 was rebuilt 7 or 8 years ago, 6 lane freeway now.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #83
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Not in Irving. It's a trainwreck of construction and Irving cops making people drive even slower.

Funny story, they like to setup speed traps about two hundred feet before an exit. I've had them turn on the lights and merge in three different times now while I'm busy taking that exit.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #84
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

In DFW right now. It's an absolute mess as always. Highways that go down to one lane, left lanes that merge to the right, etc.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #85
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not in Irving. It's a trainwreck of construction and Irving cops making people drive even slower.

Funny story, they like to setup speed traps about two hundred feet before an exit. I've had them turn on the lights and merge in three different times now while I'm busy taking that exit.
635 or 183? Lewisville is also bad for speed traps on 121, especially south(west)bound. Kinda ruins my drive now.....Its usually one of the more open spots of my drive, but they hide on the overpasses and its really tough to spot them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #86
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:

635 or 183? Lewisville is also bad for speed traps on 121, especially south(west)bound. Kinda ruins my drive now.....Its usually one of the more open spots of my drive, but they hide on the overpasses and its really tough to spot them.
114, by Cistercian. Where there's about sixteen lanes worth of concrete, but they only have two painted. Used to be a big choke point, now it's just permanently slow. But some how any time it's clear and I'm going fast, there seems to be a cop on the left median. They never seem to consider the insta-exit strategy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #87
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
114, by Cistercian. Where there's about sixteen lanes worth of concrete, but they only have two painted. Used to be a big choke point, now it's just permanently slow. But some how any time it's clear and I'm going fast, there seems to be a cop on the left median. They never seem to consider the insta-exit strategy.
I hate "revenue generation". If they really wanted to have people slow down and drive carefully, they would be somewhere where they really stood out, and drivers could easily see them.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #88
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
I hate "revenue generation". If they really wanted to have people slow down and drive carefully, they would be somewhere where they really stood out, and drivers could easily see them.
In mainland China they have fake police cars, literally fake plastic police cars, parked on the side of highways for exactly this purpose. Although speeding is far from the biggest safety issue when you have a family of four and all their earthy possessions traveling on a soviet era scooter on the highway.
Appreciate 0