BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Recommended Itinerary for Short ED Trip (Week 36)

06-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
mchoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB LCI M2

Recommended Itinerary for Short ED Trip (Week 36)

Just received the production number for my LCI (week 36) and can't wait to pick it up!

Looking for some help as this will be my first ED and wondering if you guys have any recommended itineraries for a short trip (4-5 days including travel from the US). I won't be able to take a long period of time off as I have to travel for two weddings in September but also want to capitalize on the ED experience as this is my first new BMW purchase. I'm planning to do an extended Europe trip in the future, which will make up any ground I will miss on this trip.

Assuming 2 days allocated for travel to Munich, this will leave me 2-3 days to explore. The below is a very high level itinerary and I'm not sure if it is reasonable over the time period. Not set on visiting the Nurburgring or any of the stops below but would like to have a balance of "must see" things and some good driving roads. Could potentially add a day to the trip but looking for your thoughts.

Day 1: Travel day, BMW Museum, explore Munich
Day 2: Welt for ED, factory tour then drive to Nurburgring (through Wurzburg and Frankfurt)
Day 3: Leave Nurburgring to drive to Munich (through Strasbourg), explore Munich
Day 4: Drop off car, travel day

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Are you traveling by yourself, friend or wife?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
mchoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Are you traveling by yourself, friend or wife?
Great question, I'm going solo but may have a buddy tag along with me. Still working out those details.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Looks good to me...I drove from The Ring to Munich (not ED) and it takes 5-6 hours with traffic - don't forget to vary the revs when you break it in!

Is the Ring open for Touristfarhtan? You should check...that may change your schedule...week days are only open in the afternoon. Weekends are open all day (mostly)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Do the museum and the Welt the same day. Use the other day to drive out to Neuschwanstein
      06-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Because you're going by yourself or just a buddy, you'd be on the move a lot but you should be okay. Not sure of the days you're going to be in Germany but keep a few days n mind. BMW Museum is closed on Mondays and no factory tour (weekends) or car pick up on Sundays. Drop off at Munich Airport, Saturday by appointment only and none on Sunday.

I appreciated driving the mountain/back roads of Germany and Switzerland much more then the autobahn (but you have to do it). It's fun getting up to speed and hitting triple digits but the winding/curving roads is my preference.

Because your trip is so short, decide what is most important to you. Then number them in sequence and definitely do #1. Numbers 2, 3 & 4 may be compromised due to distance of travel for your time frame. So if the Ring is a big priority, do it.

I posted my ED, 12 Time Zones to a European Delivery. I was with my wife and we were going to Paris France for 4 nights at the end of the trip, so my top 2 priorities were, #1 finding smaller, charming cities, plus driving through beautiful country sides and mountains to get there. #2, driving to Switzerland and doing at least one of their passes. This made planning my trip, route and stops easier.

Congrats on your allocation and have fun on your ED trip!

Last edited by Aloha Joe; 06-24-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #7
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoy View Post
Assuming 2 days allocated for travel to Munich, this will leave me 2-3 days to explore. The below is a very high level itinerary and I'm not sure if it is reasonable over the time period. Not set on visiting the Nurburgring or any of the stops below but would like to have a balance of "must see" things and some good driving roads. Could potentially add a day to the trip but looking for your thoughts.
Seems like you're making Nurburgring the focus of this plan. Given the short trip you have, there's little flexibility for you if the Ring is shut down for weather/accident/whatever or you get delayed in traffic, etc. so my advice would be to save it for a future trip. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed getting to the Ring and I think you don't need to be diehard petrolhead to get something out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Zugspitze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Too large of an area in a short period of time. Plenty to see and do in Bavaria. Lots of possibilities in the direction of Berchtesgaden along with Salzburg and Hallstatt.

Besides the Alpenstrasse, a couple more scenic drives:
http://www.rossfeldpanoramastrasse.de/en/

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/t...neroad/daytrip
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

I would advise against doing what you planned. The drive from Munich to Nurburg is at least 5-6 hours, more if there are traffic issues. If you're going to visit Europe in the future, plan on visiting the Nurburgring then. Especially with a plan to return to Munich, you'll be spending at least half of a day in Germany (12+ hours) just driving round trip between Munich and Nurburg.

Besides, with your new M2 not even broken in (less than 1200 miles) you're not advised to drive it aggressively, which is what you would be doing on the Nurburgring.

For such a short visit, visit sites in and around Munich. The BMW museum is a great place to visit.

As someone else mentioned, Neuschwanstein Castle is not far from Munich, and definitely worth the visit.

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

And Marienplatz is definitely worth visiting:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/munich/marienplatz.htm

Close to Marienplatz (within walking distance) is Hofbrau Haus:

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

And Stuttgart is just a little over two hours from Munich, so you can visit the Porsche museum:

http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/

I think that would keep you busy and entertained for the short visit you have planned. Also, if you want to purchase any BMW parts that are not normally available in the USA, be sure to visit the parts department at one of the BMW dealerships in Munich. When I was there I purchased wide angle outside mirror glass for my E36 M3 (really makes a difference with those small mirrors, and they don't say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"). There are likely many accessories designed for your M2 but only available in Germany/Europe.

Have a great trip!

-rb
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
lax01
Major
Rep

You can always rent a car at The Ring...I can't imagine getting ED and not going to the Ring

You can always go back to Germany and do all of the things above...you can never do the Ring you car again once its shipped back to the US (for the most part)

5500rpm is more than enough for the Ring (especially the first time)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
You can always rent a car at The Ring...I can't imagine getting ED and not going to the Ring

You can always go back to Germany and do all of the things above...you can never do the Ring you car again once its shipped back to the US (for the most part)

5500rpm is more than enough for the Ring (especially the first time)
I remember hearing the insurance bmw provides for ED covered the ring because it's a public road. Is that accurate?
      06-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #12
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I remember hearing the insurance bmw provides for ED covered the ring because it's a public road. Is that accurate?
It is a public road...but I have no idea what insurance BMW provides (read the documentation very closely with a new car - but honestly, you need to break in tires and swap pads for something like The Ring anyway). You can get a rental for around $500 USD that is track-prepped and insured (albeit high deductibles). If its the first time on the Ring, you shouldn't even be considering lap times. Go out there, stay to the right and don't do anything stupid. If you aren't over-driving, you'll be fine and its just like a canyon run. My first two laps were SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. My last four laps (first time there) were also SLOW, SLOW, AND SLOW but I was picking up pace in certain corners.

Its an incredible experience to be out on that track/road - I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it in the US. I was driving a FWD track-prepped car and I would have been even more cautious in a near 400hp RWD car. You aren't going to set a lap record out there...you just aren't. Drive within yourself, check your mirrors and stay to the right when faster cars (yes, the 120hp Miata is faster than you) come through. Don't even try to hang with the track-preped Porsches...great way to go off and end in a wall.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The insurance offered for ED does not cover the Nurburgring, I was told explicitly that it was not covered when I picked up my car. I suspect that it would be the same for US vs Canadian ED since the coverage is for Europe rather than US/Canada.

Having said that, I drove 9 laps of the ring anyway. I would advise against trying to fit the ring in if you're only going for a couple days. As others have mentioned, you'd be driving a fair distance and weather or unexpected track closures could very easily disrupt your plans. I specifically planned 4 nights at the ring, I drove in on a Sunday, watched a bit (didn't go out, Touristfahren on Sundays is probably not a good intro to the Ring, it's very busy). I went out when it was a bit quieter on weekday evenings (5:15pm - 7:30pm is usually open), the Monday wasn't quiet but Tuesday and Wednesday were quieter. I left on Thursday morning, it was a holiday so the track was open all day, I got one lap in early so it was quiet.

I had already had my break-in service done but I still didn't do very many laps each day to ensure the brake pads and tires weren't going to get destroyed (M2 stock pads are notoriously bad for track use).

I suspect the next time I go to the ring I'd be renting a car, then it will have the proper pads and fluid for harder use and the consumables are covered. There are tons of options, including lots of places that will rent you an M2. Also, the best way to do the ring would be to register for a trackday and rent a car, while I was in Nurburg there were a couple track days and from spectating, it looked like a better experience. Touristfahren will give you all kinds of different traffic, motorcycles, box vans, first-time ring drivers, prepped race cars with experienced drivers and very little oversight, everyone is basically let lose on the track.

I had a ton of fun at the ring, as others have said, you're going to be passed a lot. The ring takes a lot of practise to really learn, it is a lot different than Forza or Gran Turismo. The elevation changes and camber of the track doesn't come through in sims, it's such a thrill to drive it for real.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
The Autobahn's are a mess right now with summer construction, lots and lots of counter-flows and 100~80 kph restrictions. I drove from Prague to Brussels yesterday and I was probably stationary for about 2 hours throughout the trip!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #15
mchoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
Seems like you're making Nurburgring the focus of this plan. Given the short trip you have, there's little flexibility for you if the Ring is shut down for weather/accident/whatever or you get delayed in traffic, etc. so my advice would be to save it for a future trip. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed getting to the Ring and I think you don't need to be diehard petrolhead to get something out of it.
Valid points. The more I think about it I may scratch the Ring plan and try to stay closer to town and look for good driving roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugspitze View Post
Too large of an area in a short period of time. Plenty to see and do in Bavaria. Lots of possibilities in the direction of Berchtesgaden along with Salzburg and Hallstatt.

Besides the Alpenstrasse, a couple more scenic drives:
http://www.rossfeldpanoramastrasse.de/en/

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/t...neroad/daytrip
This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #16
mchoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
I would advise against doing what you planned. The drive from Munich to Nurburg is at least 5-6 hours, more if there are traffic issues. If you're going to visit Europe in the future, plan on visiting the Nurburgring then. Especially with a plan to return to Munich, you'll be spending at least half of a day in Germany (12+ hours) just driving round trip between Munich and Nurburg.

Besides, with your new M2 not even broken in (less than 1200 miles) you're not advised to drive it aggressively, which is what you would be doing on the Nurburgring.

For such a short visit, visit sites in and around Munich. The BMW museum is a great place to visit.

As someone else mentioned, Neuschwanstein Castle is not far from Munich, and definitely worth the visit.

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

And Marienplatz is definitely worth visiting:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/munich/marienplatz.htm

Close to Marienplatz (within walking distance) is Hofbrau Haus:

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

And Stuttgart is just a little over two hours from Munich, so you can visit the Porsche museum:

http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/

I think that would keep you busy and entertained for the short visit you have planned. Also, if you want to purchase any BMW parts that are not normally available in the USA, be sure to visit the parts department at one of the BMW dealerships in Munich. When I was there I purchased wide angle outside mirror glass for my E36 M3 (really makes a difference with those small mirrors, and they don't say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"). There are likely many accessories designed for your M2 but only available in Germany/Europe.

Have a great trip!

-rb
These are great as well and good call on the parts. Once I hear back from BMW on the accepted delivery date, I'll rework the plan for everyone's feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Go to Spa while you're at the ring, it's better than the ring and only about an hour or so away. If I had to pick one I'd skip the ring and do spa if there's a public track day on the schedule the day you go. If you do go to the ring get there right when they open, get your ticket and get your laps in before any wrecks and delays.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 07-18-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      07-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
It is a public road...but I have no idea what insurance BMW provides (read the documentation very closely with a new car - but honestly, you need to break in tires and swap pads for something like The Ring anyway). You can get a rental for around $500 USD that is track-prepped and insured (albeit high deductibles). If its the first time on the Ring, you shouldn't even be considering lap times. Go out there, stay to the right and don't do anything stupid. If you aren't over-driving, you'll be fine and its just like a canyon run. My first two laps were SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. My last four laps (first time there) were also SLOW, SLOW, AND SLOW but I was picking up pace in certain corners.

Its an incredible experience to be out on that track/road - I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it in the US. I was driving a FWD track-prepped car and I would have been even more cautious in a near 400hp RWD car. You aren't going to set a lap record out there...you just aren't. Drive within yourself, check your mirrors and stay to the right when faster cars (yes, the 120hp Miata is faster than you) come through. Don't even try to hang with the track-preped Porsches...great way to go off and end in a wall.
The stock pads and brake fluid are fine if you're not driving like you're qualifying. I took my ED M3 on the ring with about 800 miles on the clock and turned 3 laps without issue. The ED insurance covers the ring since it's a public tollway. I passed a decent number of cars as well and let the prepped race/track cars through.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #19
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I am in Austria now. Picked up the car Monday dropping off today. Highly recommend the villages outside of Salzburg. The driving around the lakes and mountains is unreal!!!!

I am staying right on Fuschlee lake. Drive to Hallstatt and just go from lake to lake.

Get out of Munich it is horrible with traffic.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
mchoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Official ED is 9/18! While I was excited to have one of my gearhead buddies join me, this will be my first solo trip (and to Europe) but what better way to celebrate a new big job as a single guy? I didn't realize this until late but I also got lucky with the Frankfurt Auto Show in town the same week!

Looking for help to identify what the best driving road route should look like over the course of a 1.5 day period. I've partially mapped this out below but would really appreciate your feedback! Ideally would prefer to have more time but as I mentioned in the OP, I have a lot of travel during this time of year and this is a check off my bucket list.

Saturday, 9/16: Arrive first thing in the morning, check into hotel and nap if I can contain my excitement. Due to the travel day, I plan to use this day to explore Munich. Based on my brief research I have the following on my list: Marienplatz, Frauenkirche, Dachau Concentration Camp, explore Viktualienmarkt, and check out a few beer halls (e.g., Hofbrauhaus).

Not sure how long these will take but I also have Sunday available for exploration time. Am I missing anything here and what would you consider as other must-see high priority things?

Sunday, 9/17: Carryover Munich exploration time in the morning with Frankfurt Auto Show in the afternoon, however, it appears the auto show will require a lot of time so will play it by ear.

Monday, 9/18: Check out the BMW museum in AM and head to the Welt in afternoon for my ED!

Based on your feedback, heading South to Austria looks great for driving roads, which is exactly what I am looking for. After my delivery at the Welt, mapping the drive (in order) to Alpenstraße, Rossfeld Panorama Strasse, and Grossglockner High Alpine Road will take ~4 hours and I plan to stay in town for the night. Does this seem achievable or should I take different routes/order?

Tuesday, 9/19: After staying the night in Grossglockner, I will head back to Munich.

Looking for your feedback here for more driving roads. Should I head towards Liechtenstein and back up north to Munich?

Wednesday, 9/20: Drop off car and fly out in AM; anxiously wait 3-4 weeks before my car arrives on the West Coast.

Last edited by mchoy; 08-20-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
lax01
Major
Rep

So you aren't doing The Ring? FAIL-boat
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoy View Post

Wednesday, 9/20: Drop off car and fly out in AM; anxiously wait 3-4 weeks before my car arrives on the West Coast.
Prepare to be disappointed. Usually has taken me about 7 weeks to get car back, East Coast 3-4 weeks, maybe.
Appreciate 0