BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Comparison

05-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Comparison

1. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
  2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S = a little Sport Cup 2 + a little Super Sport
  3. Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Star)

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S star in development and testing for the new M5.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 05-21-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Michelin is not interesting for m cars these days.

It has no offer to compete in summer extreme category. PSS/4s is way too incapable of handling even stock power of m2/3/4/5/6.

In the streetable competition category, Michelin has cup2 which is no better than, or already outperformed by some competitions in extreme, a lower class. Cup 2 is 140 thread wear rated. Granted, unwise to compare TW across the manufactures.

PS4S is just a new name of pss, a max performance that isn't sticky enough for m cars.
      05-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

It has no offer to compete in summer extreme category. PSS/4s is way too incapable of handling even stock power of m2/3/4/5/6.

In the streetable competition category, Michelin has cup2 which is no better than, or already outperformed by some competitions in extreme, a lower class. Cup 2 is 140 thread wear rated. Granted, unwise to compare TW across the manufactures.

PS4S is just a new name of pss, a max performance that isn't sticky enough for m cars.
OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

What tire do you use then?
Appreciate 1
Supadice1017.50
      05-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Quote:

What tire do you use then?
RE71R
      06-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
Mint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
OK.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I only compared the fronts so that I could fit three tires in the comparison.

The way I read this and others may disagree which is fine...Is...

Performance Category is a Tire Rack category for filtering a search and may exclude some tires that may be of interest to the shopper and not a reliable indicator of tire performance.

Compared to the 4S the RE71R is a more expensive, older (proven), heavier, wider tread width, lower speed rated tire that customers feel is noisy with a fair treadwear. That said a lot of folks still like RE71R.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 06-16-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:

Performance Category is a Tire Rack category for filtering a search and may exclude some tires that may be of interest to the shopper and not a reliable indicator of tire performance.

Compared to the 4S the RE71R is a more expensive, older, heavier, wider tread width, lower speed rated tire that customers feel is noisy with a fair treadwear. That said a lot of folks still like RE71R.
I went with something less noisy with better wear vs the amazing cheater tire benchmark called the RE-71 lol. The RE-11. The tire is rather old but they hit a magic zone I have yet to see another tire touch. Real street use, low noise and amazing in the wet. It shocked me how much better these are vs the pss in the wet. Of course in the dry they are even better.

The only downside to the RE-11/ Bridgestone tires are weight. They are heavier by a few pounds. A tire in this category will be a little noisier, the re11 is the most mild I could find while being a true performer.

I think the only thing the 4s has over the pss is wet grip, the numbers look amazing but they aren't the cup 2/pss blend people keep referencing. The dry number deltas are within control error. Although I am a sidewall freak, the velvet 4s sidewall is sick.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 01:39 AM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Compared to the 4S the RE71R is a more expensive, older (proven), heavier, wider tread width, lower speed rated tire that customers feel is noisy with a fair treadwear. That said a lot of folks still like RE71R.
RE-71R is in another category compared to the Pilot Sport 4S and PSS as you mentioned. The dry grip, sidewall stiffness, and NVH are going to be significantly higher on the RE-71R and other tires in that category. The RE-71R may even be better than the Cup 2 in terms of outright grip, but there is not much data comparing the Extreme summer category tires to the Streetable track category.

I would be tempted to run RE-71R or Yokohama AD08R on the street but it does rain and the ability to evacuate standing water on those tires is a concern.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      06-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Quote:

Compared to the 4S the RE71R is a more expensive, older, heavier, wider tread width, lower speed rated tire that customers feel is noisy with a fair treadwear. That said a lot of folks still like RE71R.
I went with something less noisy with better wear vs the amazing cheater tire benchmark called the RE-71 lol. The RE-11. The tire is rather old but they hit a magic zone I have yet to see another tire touch. Real street use, low noise and amazing in the wet. It shocked me how much better these are vs the pss in the wet. Of course in the dry they are even better.

The only downside to the RE-11/ Bridgestone tires are weight. They are heavier by a few pounds. A tire in this category will be a little noisier, the re11 is the most mild I could find while being a true performer.

I think the only thing the 4s has over the pss is wet grip, the numbers look amazing but they aren't the cup 2/pss blend people keep referencing. The dry number deltas are within control error. Although I am a sidewall freak, the velvet 4s sidewall is sick.
Re11A was less extreme and more street friendly, but was discontinued and replaced by RE71R.
      06-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
RE-71R is in another category compared to the Pilot Sport 4S and PSS as you mentioned. The dry grip, sidewall stiffness, and NVH are going to be significantly higher on the RE-71R and other tires in that category. The RE-71R may even be better than the Cup 2 in terms of outright grip, but there is not much data comparing the Extreme summer category tires to the Streetable track category.

I would be tempted to run RE-71R or Yokohama AD08R on the street but it does rain and the ability to evacuate standing water on those tires is a concern.
Agree, I would never run the RE71R on the street. I have only heard good things about them but that was for track.

What I like about the 4S, just looking at the specs (still trying to burn up the stock Contis) is that I can drive to the track, not have to change tires and most importantly unlike the RE71R and Cups is not have to worry, as much, about rain...and assuming proper camber may last longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

I've had very good experience so far with Sport Cup 2s on my M2 (Three days at WGI thus far). They are worlds apart from the PSS and feel to have considerable more grip than Direzza Star Spec 2 I used to run on my 135i. With 180 treadwear I think they also offer more grip than the RE71 on the big tracks but I have not run these myself. The downside so far is the cost. Will see how long they last as a daily/track tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Quote:

Re11A was less extreme and more street friendly, but was discontinued and replaced by RE71R.
Exactly. If I went to a dedicated track tire it would be the NT01 or RE-71. I went with the RE-11 for a blend and I don't want to take my wheels off because I love them haha
Appreciate 0