BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Tire Management - Suggestions

07-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Did one day at Watkins Glen International, one day at Lime Rock Park and a weekend (partial days due to rain and tire issues) at Palmer.
Was shooting for 36 hot all around but I'm not as cognizant with the pressures as I should be. The tires showed lots of sidewall wear from the very first session, so I paid more attention as time wore on.
Rears look fine, normal track wear.
Balance was mostly neutral, but there was understeer in some turns when pushed. I normally try to manage with throttle and balance the car into apex.
Traction Control always fully off
No worries, I'm not an expert racer, just a guy that knows how to carry a decently respectable pace in a safe manner and can communicate that to others. I have probably done somewhere around 25 days in a car but came from motorcycles, previously.

It's probably hard to help coach without sitting in the car with me but I appreciate the attempt. Ultimately, I think a proper track setup with some plates will solve most of the issues while a little more attention and experience to slip angle management will solve the rest.
Thanks for your answers, based on that I'd have to agree with the others about entering turns too hot and essentially scrubbing off speed with the front tires. That much wear on the front, compared to the rear indicates pretty significant under-steer. Plus, once those front tires over-heat, that likely exacerbated the issue and let to even more understeer.

Again, not to be insulting, but 25 days isn't really a lot of track time, I would respectfully suggest having another instructor ride along with you to get some other real-time thoughts. An in-car video would help too. You also mentioned rain at Palmer (I used to live about 30 minutes from where the Palmer track is now, before it opened though). How was the car in the wet? Everything is exaggerated in the wet and I tell folks all the time to never never pass up a wet session on a track (swap tires if needed). Nothing forces you to drive smoother than a wet track.
Understeer is massively frustrating and often leads to over-driving corner entries. I know that first hand too. A change in technique can help to deal with handling issues in a car. A good first hand example is trail braking to get the front of an old 911 to bite into a turn before transitioning to gas to keep the rear slip angle/ rotation manageable.

I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and the results you see. None of us are F-1 racers, so much to learn by all.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0