Drives: 530i

E60M5 and M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all -

Been following here and reading up on the M2. I have two cars currently:

2007 Manual E60M5 with all the bolt on mods

2008 528i daily driver

I am thinking of getting an M2 to daily drive and get rid of the 528i. A few facts to consider and then I have a few questions, as you all seem very helpful on this forum:

Facts:

I don't drive far or need the back seats for work. I have a 3 mile commute and will put 10k miles a year on both cars combined. I don't have kids. My wife also has a four seat luxury car that we can use for couple dates, etc.

Questions:

Will I enjoy daily driving the M2? I think I will! Roads are good in Fort Lauderdale and I don't sit in traffic. I would only get the manual transmission.

Will I get annoyed keeping the car outside at night? At work, the car will be in a garage. At home, the M5 is the garage queen and I only have a single bay.

Will I find the car is more of a replacement for the M5 and not the 528i and that I really don't need both. In my mind they are really different. My M5 sounds like an Indy Car with the exhaust and is an absolute raw beast. I am planning to leave the M2 bone stock and just enjoy it. Seems far more usable as a daily driver than the M5. Also, I cannot imagine selling the M5 regardless. I have already replaced the rod bearings and connecting bolts. The car runs perfect and only has 58k miles.

Thanks so much for all the information on this board, seems like a great community.

If anyone is in South Florida perhaps I can check out your M2 sometime, I have not seen one in person.

Shea
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Once you get the M2 i think u'll start parking it in the garage.

that V10 though...
      08-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaz View Post
Hi all -

Been following here and reading up on the M2. I have two cars currently:

2007 Manual E60M5 with all the bolt on mods

2008 528i daily driver

I am thinking of getting an M2 to daily drive and get rid of the 528i. A few facts to consider and then I have a few questions, as you all seem very helpful on this forum:

Facts:

I don't drive far or need the back seats for work. I have a 3 mile commute and will put 10k miles a year on both cars combined. I don't have kids. My wife also has a four seat luxury car that we can use for couple dates, etc.

Questions:

Will I enjoy daily driving the M2? I think I will! Roads are good in Fort Lauderdale and I don't sit in traffic. I would only get the manual transmission.

Will I get annoyed keeping the car outside at night? At work, the car will be in a garage. At home, the M5 is the garage queen and I only have a single bay.

Will I find the car is more of a replacement for the M5 and not the 528i and that I really don't need both. In my mind they are really different. My M5 sounds like an Indy Car with the exhaust and is an absolute raw beast. I am planning to leave the M2 bone stock and just enjoy it. Seems far more usable as a daily driver than the M5. Also, I cannot imagine selling the M5 regardless. I have already replaced the rod bearings and connecting bolts. The car runs perfect and only has 58k miles.

Thanks so much for all the information on this board, seems like a great community.

If anyone is in South Florida perhaps I can check out your M2 sometime, I have not seen one in person.

Shea
If you like the M5 in S FL, you'll probably love the M2. Gobs of torque, which'll let you get around the Avalon-driving blue hairs, and out in front of the redneck "natives" in their pickups. It's a little flashy, which is pretty much a requirement down there. And the brakes will let you stop in plenty of time when I95 grinds to a sudden, unexplained halt (of course, that means you'll get rear-ended by grandpa or Cletus, but the safety rating on the 2-series is very good).

That said, both cars are, IMHO, total overkill for S FL. The primary thing I enjoy about he M2 is handling, and when 99.5% of all turns are 90 degree corners, you can't really play with that all that much (unless you do occasional days at PBI).

Heresy as this may be, last time I was down there, I wound up with a Camaro SS as a rental, and it was about perfect. Yeah, the interior materials were cheezy, and outward visibility sucked, but it was quick enough to get out of its own way, and if I owned one and it got smacked, I could console myself with the knowledge that I could easily replace it.

Why yes, I lived there for 12 years (Boca), why do you ask?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

I am not sure how rough a neighborhood Ft. Lauderdale can be but I read a short story about a single man's trouble with the State. Still not sure if it is the chicken or the egg as the source. This could be my last enjoyable day so bear with me and my lengthy write-up.

We have some bad neighborhoods in Canada as well. I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast last week where I had no business being. The reason being the operator was not competent to handle the job. I was ok with it until he started cussing about stuff that would get you fired at work or even worse.

The first night, I heard a bunch of young men yelling his name then thrashing all the cars in the driveway. I noticed my car on the street was ok, the next morning. I was the one who had to give advice to the poor tourists and there 2015 Mitsubishi. A few days later, I noticed some deep scratches requiring paint on the passenger door of my car.

I would recommend that you build a 2 car garage?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
sheaz
Rep

Thanks guys. To clarify, I live in a very nice area. I am not concerned with vandalism. Only concern would be leaving the car in the elements over night. As I mentioned the car will be in a garage siding the week days at the office.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with the E60 M5. Looking to make sure the cars are not too much the same.

I find time to drive my M5 on wide open roads so not worried about traffic, etc.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

I had an 06 e60 M5 SMG that I put a Dinan suspension on and got their software. The suspension really helped.

The M2 will be almost as quick to 60, will handle way better, will be more controllable and fun at the limit, and will be left in the dust on Alligator Alley when you're in the triple digits.

I sold the M5, what I thought would be my dream car after a few years, primarily because of it's weight and the effect on handling/driving fun. But, I will never own a better sounding motor than that V10.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaz View Post
Thanks guys. To clarify, I live in a very nice area. I am not concerned with vandalism. Only concern would be leaving the car in the elements over night. As I mentioned the car will be in a garage siding the week days at the office.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with the E60 M5. Looking to make sure the cars are not too much the same.

I find time to drive my M5 on wide open roads so not worried about traffic, etc.

Thanks
E60 M5 is has a great engine and is an awesome highway blast! Besides the engine and the more interiour space I see zero reasons to keep a E60 M5 if you have a M2. Your wife also has a 4-door car and you have no kids. What is the actual purpose of that M5 and when do you use it? As a weekend drive? IMO a manual M2 is a more engaging and more fun car to drive then the heavier E60 M5 (besides that awesome V10 ofcourse). IMO a M2 and M5 are great daily car's and not special, unique enough to be only weekend cars. Those cars are meant to have fun with everyday 😎

If I would life in your area and have a M5 + M2; I would sell the M5 and get and extra two seater sportcar like a Z4M roadster....ooo wait that is exactly what my garage is going to be 😉
      08-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #8
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
I'm sure it'll be a fantastic daily, but a 3 mile commute is barely enough time to get an engine warm(15-20 minutes). So consider the beating the engine will be getting.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
sheaz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Once you get the M2 i think u'll start parking it in the garage.

that V10 though...
Yes, that is my thought, which is why I just may sell the M5 and keep the 528 for daily. Only having one garage bay does not lend itself to keeping multiple cars you really care about.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
sheaz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
If you like the M5 in S FL, you'll probably love the M2. Gobs of torque, which'll let you get around the Avalon-driving blue hairs, and out in front of the redneck "natives" in their pickups. It's a little flashy, which is pretty much a requirement down there. And the brakes will let you stop in plenty of time when I95 grinds to a sudden, unexplained halt (of course, that means you'll get rear-ended by grandpa or Cletus, but the safety rating on the 2-series is very good).

That said, both cars are, IMHO, total overkill for S FL. The primary thing I enjoy about he M2 is handling, and when 99.5% of all turns are 90 degree corners, you can't really play with that all that much (unless you do occasional days at PBI).

Heresy as this may be, last time I was down there, I wound up with a Camaro SS as a rental, and it was about perfect. Yeah, the interior materials were cheezy, and outward visibility sucked, but it was quick enough to get out of its own way, and if I owned one and it got smacked, I could console myself with the knowledge that I could easily replace it.

Why yes, I lived there for 12 years (Boca), why do you ask?

Interesting / jaded / and hilarious view of South Florida. I find lots of time to go out late and find great roads to drive on. I play poker until very late quite often so that gives me some great drive time. There are lots of great sections of roads, exchanges, 180 degree exits, etc. to hit and have tons of fun in M Cars. Believe me I am not the type to be cruising A1A in my car for attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
sheaz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
I had an 06 e60 M5 SMG that I put a Dinan suspension on and got their software. The suspension really helped.

The M2 will be almost as quick to 60, will handle way better, will be more controllable and fun at the limit, and will be left in the dust on Alligator Alley when you're in the triple digits.

I sold the M5, what I thought would be my dream car after a few years, primarily because of it's weight and the effect on handling/driving fun. But, I will never own a better sounding motor than that V10.
Thank you, this is helpful. Yes, the car does sound awesome. I have the RPI GTS exhaust, which helps with that. The manual and short shifter kit make it more engaging. Ultimately, I think it will be duplicative with the M2 tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
sheaz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood74 View Post
I'm sure it'll be a fantastic daily, but a 3 mile commute is barely enough time to get an engine warm(15-20 minutes). So consider the beating the engine will be getting.
Yes, I find this issue with the M5. I thought that the M2 being newer would perhaps have a quicker warm up cycle than the M5? Also, I would never hammer the car before the oil was warm.

Just for a change of pace alone though, I like driving the fully auto 528 and then jumping into the manual M car when I feel like it. I think that is the direction I will end up going. If I had more garage space I would keep both.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

What an interesting thread. It sounds like you have a wonderful wife and home and you are sports car (and garage) deficient. !

-DINK (dual income no kids )
-Wife has the sedan
- 3 mile commute with a daily driver 528
- sports sedan in the garage ---- wait what ??

It's a Sport Sedan in the garage .... Why not a sports car ! It sounds like you need either a bigger garage, so you can keep the beloved M5 or you need to drive a small car again to remember what a sports car is like !

You have three sedans ! Pick one to sell and begin true sports car worship with an M2.
Appreciate 0