08-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #45
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Even though I had the same smile in the GT350, I was not the host of the show. You may see me here and there in the background.
got it. Well I shared your video with at least 5 car enthusiast friends of mine, two of whom own GT350's.
When I finally get my week 38 M2, I am going to swap my M2 for my buddy's GT350 for a morning of driving ........maybe
Appreciate 2
3Si216.50
      08-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #46
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I think you both may be explaining the feeling of overboost...

After 5 seconds at WOT you get overboost... when accelerating the next time for not so long.. it feels like there is no power.

Agree on the F8x cars and the soft controls. Soft clutch.. mushy slick gearbox, steering feel artificial etc.
In that case, I feel like a p*ssy for admitting that I love the clutch on the M2-- at least during the 30 minutes that I finally got to drive the car.

Compared to my Camaro 2SS, it feels so much more linear and 'predictable' in terms of its bite point. I don't care for the clutch on my Camaro at all, and it's not that it's particularly heavy. I just don't like the initial bite ('spring') compared to some other clutches I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #47
trj3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Ive owned both. I much prefer the M2. Just sold the GT350.
Appreciate 5
3Si216.50
davem3fan185.50
Spa2k1193.00
      08-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #48
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
Not sure about the on track test. The GT350 is faster than an M4 and isn't an M4 faster around a track than an M2?

How does the M2 compare to an E92 M3? A stock base 2016 Mustang GT is faster than a E90 M3 DCT on the same tires:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ustang-GT.aspx
There are too many variables (track length, condition, layout, driver, driving style, tires, weather...) to really say which car is faster when their performance is so close. There's a video by Motor Trend that had the M2 beating an M4. That was also a short track.

For me, I would've been happy even if the results were reversed. My M2 is meant to be a DD, to be able to perform so well against a track focused car, I'm content.
Appreciate 2
akkando5860.00
      08-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #49
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj3 View Post
Ive owned both. I much prefer the M2. Just sold the GT350.
can you elaborate? were they both second cars for the track or did they serve different purposes?
did you prefer the m2 because it made the better multipurpose car or were there other reasons related purely to driving dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #50
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Im no M2 and at lime Rock managed to pass the Mustang too. Both me and driver were in intermediate class for HPDE....This is no surprise.
Sorry, but cars don't come into play too much until at least advanced run groups. Even then I was giving people fits in my E36 325. As we tapered into instructing and racing and our skills homes in the skidpad. It was harder to play the same games. Keep at it, you'll be amazed how much faster you get.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
Quote:
Even though I had the same smile in the GT350, I was not the host of the show. You may see me here and there in the background.
got it. Well I shared your video with at least 5 car enthusiast friends of mine, two of whom own GT350's.
When I finally get my week 38 M2, I am going to swap my M2 for my buddy's GT350 for a morning of driving ........maybe
Make sure you run it in first.

Maybe not.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #52
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Lots of cliche in that video. Seems like most "journalists" these days regurgitate the same crap over and over. GT350 sounds awesome, mustang interiors suck, etc... Hell, the interior plastics and leather in a 2015 Mustang is no worse than my mom's F80 328i.

Quote:
There are too many variables (track length, condition, layout, driver, driving style, tires, weather...) to really say which car is faster when their performance is so close. There's a video by Motor Trend that had the M2 beating an M4. That was also a short track.

For me, I would've been happy even if the results were reversed. My M2 is meant to be a DD, to be able to perform so well against a track focused car, I'm content.
Agreed. Mostly the driver being the variable. What's his background?

The MT test was at Streets Of Willow. A useless autocross of a "track" on the side of a hill. That track is a joke for a car comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #53
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Lots of cliche in that video. Seems like most "journalists" these days regurgitate the same crap over and over. GT350 sounds awesome, mustang interiors suck, etc... Hell, the interior plastics and leather in a 2015 Mustang is no worse than my mom's F80 328i.

The MT test was at Streets Of Willow. A useless autocross of a "track" on the side of a hill. That track is a joke for a car comparison.
To be fair, cliches the reviewer DIDN'T use that seem to be annoyingly prominent in all other videos:

- "you can hardly tell it's turbocharged, it almost feels naturally aspirated"
- "virtually no turbo lag"
- "something something little brother to the M4 something more drifty"
- "it doesn't have an M motor but it doesn't matter"
- "it's EPS but you can't even tell"

And actually, the Mustang interior materials and build quality really are that bad particularly considering the price.
Spa2k1193.00
      08-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #54
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

gt350 interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
To be fair, cliches the reviewer DIDN'T use that seem to be annoyingly prominent in all other videos:

And actually, the Mustang interior materials and build quality really are that bad particularly considering the price.

from having driven one, i must agree.
but once you hear that exhaust note, the cheap interior becomes an afterthought
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      08-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #55
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
Quote:

Honestly, quite surprised by the results.
Why on earth won't they do these comparisons as true apples to apples and have both cars equipped with a 6MT?
Drives me nuts when I see one car with a DCT and the other with a 6MT being compared on the track.
Why don't they do a true apples to apples comparison, you ask?

You think a stick shift somehow makes it more fair?

What is fair about a 5 litre V8 versus a 3 litre inline 6?

Jesus H. Christ, man!

That M2 was extremely impressive.
      08-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #56
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Y'all know that for the M2 you can shorten and stiffen the clutch throw, and tighten and shorten the stick throw, with aftermarket parts, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #57
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I actually own both these cars and I have to say the review is 100% spot on. They are both amazing cars in their own way. In the end if you want something you can live with everyday the M2 is the way to go. If you want something that has character and gives you a permanent grin everytime you floor it, get the gt350
      08-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #58
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure about the on track test. The GT350 is faster than an M4 and isn't an M4 faster around a track than an M2?

How does the M2 compare to an E92 M3? A stock base 2016 Mustang GT is faster than a E90 M3 DCT on the same tires:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ustang-GT.aspx

You know Billyj is a professional race car driver right? Lol
      08-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #59
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:

Lol

The funny thing is, I COULD FEEL ALL OF THAT SHIT.

Can't trust reviewers as you don't know their experience or perception.
      08-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #60
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Glad I wasn't going crazy and that it actually felt that way. The shifter placement I prob just need to get used to. It sticks up quite a bit more than mine so I would reach down and hit it with either my forearm first or below the top of the knob.

My only reasoning I can think of for the power delivery is bmw looking at mustang drivers and thinking we cannot let our cars crash into people at car meets
I think you both may be explaining the feeling of overboost...

After 5 seconds at WOT you get overboost... when accelerating the next time for not so long.. it feels like there is no power.

Agree on the F8x cars and the soft controls. Soft clutch.. mushy slick gearbox, steering feel artificial etc.
I'm not sure it was because it happened everywhere lol

But someone did mention torque management above.

Fucking shame!!
      08-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #61
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
I love both cars and what they stand for in today's offerings. A very cool and surprising result as the M2 did better around the track. I'd own either car but the GT350 that fit n finish thooooo. Door to fender looks real crisp Yikes!
That caught my eye as well, very poor fit and finish. For me, fit and finish is very important; it might win by a mile away, if I can't see quality I don't give two shits about it's capabilities.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      08-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #62
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Why don't they do a true apples to apples comparison, you ask?

You think a stick shift somehow makes it more fair?

What is fair about a 5 litre V8 versus a 3 litre inline 6?

Jesus H. Christ, man!

That M2 was extremely impressive.
Jesus man, calm yourself.

No one here --including me-- is disputing how impressive the M2 was in that video.
I'm simply asking for an apples to apples comparison so that we get a more accurate subjective review on both cars. Getting some feedback regarding differences in clutch engagement, shifting feel, etc would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #63
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Y'all know that for the M2 you can shorten and stiffen the clutch throw, and tighten and shorten the stick throw, with aftermarket parts, right?
The stock light clutch (with clutch stop) is great for me. I'm interested in the shift upgrade hardware which you've mentioned in the past. What product is it and how much $ including labor?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #64
///M3-=FiN=-
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
I love both cars and what they stand for in today's offerings. A very cool and surprising result as the M2 did better around the track. I'd own either car but the GT350 that fit n finish thooooo. Door to fender looks real crisp Yikes!
I was gonna say the same about the refinement of the Ford.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #65
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Funny that you mentioned the Type R, that's our next comparison. Type R vs Still vs Focus RS.
I'm really anticipating that one, since I own an RS now. I noticed the RS in this video. I'm subbed to you guys now so I won't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #66
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3-=FiN=- View Post
I was gonna say the same about the refinement of the Ford.

Yeah its just outright sad that it left the factory like that! I love the car I really do, and I've seen a few in person they're gorgeous and the angles are pretty but a 10 footer if you want the impression of quality

You get up close and you see that all over the place. I test drove a brand new mustang GT when the 15's came out and I fixed the door sill scuff plate for them I pointed out to he sales person that's unacceptable!
Appreciate 0