BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Horn Issue

04-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Horn Issue

Help! My M2 sounds like a toy car!

I've only done 2100miles and the low pitch horn on my M2 has gone pop! This is the second BMW I've had this happen to, it's sooooo annoying!!!

I've tried to book the car in the dealer and it's 3 weeks. Does anyone know the exact location of the horns? Can they be accessed through the wheel arch or is it a bumper-off job Alternatively is there a fuse/relay?

I wouldn't mind just taking a quick look myself (I'm an engineer) as it's most likely just a loose connection or something. I have recently fitted my black grilles - not sure if this is related when moving the top of the bumper around - it would depend on where they are I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure the location but looking at Realoem.com they show that there are two horns, a low pitch and a high pitch. Sounds like one of yours is not working. I wouldn't worry about it and let the dealer fix it personally but perhaps you Brits are like New Yorkers and don't use turn signals because your too busy laying on the horn :-). It is also interesting to see they have several horn configurations based on country and even have a hot climate version. Nothing like governments regulating everything to make life more complicated.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Actually, the horn stuff is often due to "regional preferences" from what I've read. In the US at least, I don't know that there is much in the way of horn regulation other than probably a maximum decibel rating and probably a suggested range of tones...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 02:27 AM   #4
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Thanks guys, I managed to get a slot yesterday morning and they replaced it for me, 1/2hr job.

I must say, annoying as it was on a new car - it was damn hilarious!!

And yes, us brits (especially BMW drivers!) spend a lot of time on the horn - there's a lot of bad driving over here, elderly people and people who generally shouldn't be allowed on the road... it's making me angry as I type! ?
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post
Thanks guys, I managed to get a slot yesterday morning and they replaced it for me, 1/2hr job.

And yes, us brits (especially BMW drivers!) spend a lot of time on the horn - there's a lot of bad driving over here, elderly people and people who generally shouldn't be allowed on the road... it's making me angry as I type! ?
Probably European driving license ppl and haven't adapted to driving on the left yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Maybe consider getting a tug boat horn, that will fix all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post

Appreciate 1
      05-16-2017, 02:11 AM   #7
reenu
Rep
Drives: Mercedes benz

Very useful thread for horn stuff!!
Appreciate 0