BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First Initial Impression with the BMW M2 at the Brussel Auto Salon 2016

01-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #111
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Posting the M2 instrument cluster picture you're referring to:

I've always wanted the guage where you can see the redline change when it is cold to when it is hot. When I was a kid (19) i thought this was so cool and that having it would complete my life. Too bad, it won't be there. But I still like this alot.

I was 19....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #112
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
From the view on the cluster there seems to be no indents for the lights that is standard on the M3/4
Take a look at the photo. I don't know they may be there but it doesn't look like it.
Posting the M2 instrument cluster picture you're referring to:

That's the one, it's a DCT display car so it should have DCT shift lights on the tach no?
      01-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #113
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
I don't know I'm asking. Hence the ?

From the view on the cluster there seems to be no indents for the lights that is standard on the M3/4
Take a look at the photo. I don't know they may be there but it doesn't look like it.
Off topic, but that is a scary photo...is that really showing redlining a cold engine with all the yellow warning tach lights on?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #114
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Quote:
I don't know I'm asking. Hence the ?

Off topic, but that is a scary photo...is that really showing redlining a cold engine with all the yellow warning tach lights on?
No the yellow lights are DCT shift indicators, the yellow is warning you get ready red is coming up. If it were cold it wouldn't let you shift that high.

But I know what you're referring to however, the cold indicator starting on the E46 M3 wouldn't let you past 5500rpm gradually until at full temp.
      01-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #115
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
That's the one, it's a DCT display car so it should have DCT shift lights on the tach no?
So i found info in the Australian specs stating the manual transmission has the shift lights, well i assume that's what 'shift point display' means.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #116
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
No the yellow lights are DCT shift indicators, the yellow is warning you get ready red is coming up. If it were cold it wouldn't let you shift that high.

But I know what you're referring to however, the cold indicator starting on the E46 M3 wouldn't let you past 5500rpm gradually until at full temp.
Got it, thanks! In both my M5 and Z4M coupe, the yellow lights are indications of the safe point to rev while the engine warms up. Obviously with a manual you can certainly rev the engine past these recommendations if you want. DCT doesn't let you (not that anyone would want to, just curious)?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #117
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72
Quote:
So i found info in the Australian specs stating the manual transmission has the shift lights, well i assume that's what 'shift point display' means.
I guess its safe to assume it a manual has it the DCT has it.
      01-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #118
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@MR. Thanks for posting/pics etc!

I have reservation order for an LBB DCT this may.

I just don't get the '2 or 3 way' dampening of the chassis?? Can you explain more? There is no 'options' of that available afaik. I just completed 'my' car with my dealership yesterday. No chassis afjustments whatsovever. What am I missing?

You showed some pics of that but they won't show up at my computer...

Nogmaals dank!

Met vriendelijke groet/Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #119
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
@MR. Thanks for posting/pics etc!

I have reservation order for an LBB DCT this may.

I just don't get the '2 or 3 way' dampening of the chassis?? Can you explain more? There is no 'options' of that available afaik. I just completed 'my' car with my dealership yesterday. No chassis afjustments whatsovever. What am I missing?

You showed some pics of that but they won't show up at my computer...

Nogmaals dank!

Met vriendelijke groet/Cheers
Robin
Hi Robin,

Some say that the suspension stays the same and the steering changes when you opt for the CHASSIS option in the sport mode settings in iDrive. Although I have a feeling it might be a set up in which you have a harder and softer damping (only damping!).

I have seen this before with suspension kits from Bilstein, where you have a hard and a comfort setting controlled by a button. Not sure if it is the same, but feels like it. All in all, it is not sure at this moment. We only know now there is a setting in the iDrive system, and until we have driven it we cannot really say what it does.

This is the photo
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1452615762

MR
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #120
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Talk with BMW M spokesperson:
During my talk with the BMW M spokesperson, we discussed the technical highlights of the car. He told me the following things: [...]
- There is no oil or water temperature gauge in the whole car. Information will only presented on the M Performance steering wheel or via an aftermarket system (e.g. P3Cars.com).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
In the dashboard there is no oil temperature or water temperature gauge. Some people asked me this before and I got confirmed it is not there.
Did he really say that ?

Allow me to zoom in on an M2 instrument cluster picture.

Attachment 1346298
Attachment 1346299
Perfect. I knew it was in the menu no doubt.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #121
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

So I don't understand how the dampers work because we know this is a "parts bin" sort of car.

I would have guessed BMW would bring either the F8x passive dampers or the active dampers, not something different from either. Is this the active option but with more limited settings then? Seems that way but why did the interviews with the M engineers say it was passive?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:27 AM   #122
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
So I don't understand how the dampers work because we know this is a "parts bin" sort of car.

The greatest affordable stock BMWs of the last decade have been so called 'parts bin' cars

Cheers
Robin (ex E46 M3/ ex E90 M3 both MT)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #123
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I'm not using it as a derogatory term, just saying that it's unlikely BMW created a whole new part for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:19 AM   #124
hsb
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
This is just the normal eco driving tips when it's most economical to shift up or down.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #125
scargizmo
Rep
Drives: 135ic 2010 manual

Quote:

It's a dumb system that tells your to shift from 2nd gear to 6th for better fuel economy. Have it in manual 135i. It's pointless)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #126
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So I found info in the Australian specs stating the manual transmission has the shift lights, well I assume that's what 'shift point display' means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb View Post
This is just the normal eco driving tips when it's most economical to shift up or down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scargizmo View Post
It's a dumb system that tells your to shift from 2nd gear to 6th for better fuel economy. Have it in manual 135i. It's pointless.
Forum fellows hsb and scargizmo are correct: "Shift point display" aka "gear shift indicator", is the small triangular arrow pointing upwards or downwards + gear shift number, on the Onboard Computer display. It serves to indicate to the driver when to shift in order to use fuel more efficiently and minimize emissions.
Gear shift indicator.
Well-timed gearshifts mean lower fuel consumption: the BMW gear shift indicator shows the ideal timing for each gear change on your vehicle's Info Display. By shifting gear at the recommended moment, you ensure your fuel is used more efficiently and emissions are minimised.
The digital engine management system monitors the driving situation and engine speed, and calculates which gear offers the most efficient performance. If for example a higher gear and lower engine speed would be more efficient, an arrow symbol and the recommended gear number appear on the Info Display between the tachometer and the speedometer.
The gear shift indicator adapts its recommendations to suit your current driving situation. When you're accelerating strongly, it allows the engine to reach a higher engine speed before recommending a gearshift. By helping you change gears at the right moment, the gear shift indicator leads to a significant reduction in fuel consumption and ensures complete and smooth power development.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...hift_indicator
      01-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #127
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I visited the Brussels motor show on its opening day today. I went there primarily to see the BMW M2 for the first time. As expected it was in the launch colour, Long Beach Blue, and the colour in which I have my order (due in July). The show was surprisingly quiet and I had the run of the BMW stand it seemed. Also, I fully expected the star of the show to be the M2, but from what I could tell it wasn’t really catching the attention of the visitors. The biggest crowds were to be found around the more mundane vehicles on the BMW stand, and also on the Renault and Volvo stands. I guess most people were interested in looking at cars they’re thinking of buying rather than eye candy which has no relevance to them.

So, my thoughts. The M2 doesn’t look quite as aggressive in real life as it does in the official press photos from BMW. The arches don’t seem as pronounced. However, it can hardly be described as tame looking. It’s still a very focused looking machine with the bodywork seemingly pulled tight over the chassis like a tight miniskirt.

The plastic inserts behind the front wheels on the sides of the car look very cheap indeed. Also, the interior is clearly a notch below the M3/M4 in quality. I know it’s on a lower rung of the M ladder, but it still doesn’t feel like it’s a special model. Different seats would have helped but we all know why it didn’t get them.

It was parked next to an M4 Coupe and there really is very little difference in size. It puts the 1,570kg weight into perspective. It actually looks like quite a large car.

The lack of signature M parts such as mirrors and the CFRP roof don’t detract from the car at all. It looks superb.

The car on display (and my order) had the M DCT gearbox. Looking at the instrument panel it doesn’t seem to have the shift lights.

Overall I am very impressed by the M2 Coupe, and I’d say the likelihood of me taking up my order in July have increased from 50% to 80%.

A couple of the interior.

Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #128
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Color M4 - M2
I don't know for sure, but I think the color of the M4 was an individual one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
M4 looked TanzBlue when I first saw it, still does to me? Also the M4 is cheating with MPerf kit fitted
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I think the M4 is Azurite Black.. Tanz would appear a more intense blue in that kind of light.

I visited the show today and I checked the colour of the M4.

It's Carbon Black.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #129
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Thanks again for the pics and info

Since I traded in my 1M and ETA may '16 for my M2 , I just thought: Why don't enjoy a trip to Brussels in 1M? Last time was spring last year to drink beer and more beer

So we're heading for Brussels this sunday. More petrol, less beer.

Still 180miles from where I live.

Weather should be reasonable...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:07 AM   #130
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
This could be interpreted as just the little gear number and up/down arrow that cars have? Not quite the same as the LED's but good spot.
      01-15-2016, 03:31 AM   #131
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

So I cant get past ZERO mention of adjustable dampers in the manual or the press releases/brochure...and surely they would just lift the passive dampers from the M3.

As such, could this chassis setting be heavier steering only (which is mentioned as adjustable in the press releases/ manual)

01-15-2016, 04:20 AM   #132
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

TMP, that's what have been discussed in other threads. If you want a bit more certainty, ask those with a 1/2 series without adaptive dampers. Do this screen still look the same for them?
Appreciate 0