BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Aussie deliveries?

11-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #771
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpak View Post
While i'm here, to the Melbourne crew - any recommendations for PPF installers?

I've called around and it seems several of the high quality detailers all refer to House of Tint, who use Xpel Ultimate.

Spoken with a few guys around the traps but largely one man mobile shows that i don't think I would trust to apply to my M2.

Also came across Invisible Car Bras that appear reputable? Apparently do all the AMG race day cars etc. They use Premiumshield Elite PPF which has no major negative comments on forums etc but not quite the religious following of "XPEL"?

Thanks, LP
Let us know if you find anyone. I'm booked in for Opticoat, but frankly I'd prefer film. My M135i is covered in scratches and paint chips at the front. :/
      11-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #772
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Also following the Melb PPF recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #773
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
Also following the Melb PPF recommendations.
Bon vivant
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #774
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

For those of you whose car is yet to arrive, you're in for a treat. I've had my car for just over a week now and I have to say that jumping in the car to drive to or from work is something I look forward to. And when I get to work, I'm disappointed I have to get out of it.

Then when I've taken it on long drives, it just blows my mind. Flooring it around a long sweeping interchange, it is incredibly stable and the torque is prodigious. This is one serious bit of kit.

The sound of the exhaust overrun is just fabulous too. My partner made jokes about the fact that I would play "exhaust videos" each night through the sound system before the car arrived, but no youtube clip has done this car justice. It reminds me of watching an RSR as a bystander driving down the street. Now it's coming of the four tailpipes sitting right behind me.
      11-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #775
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Bugger! Think I'd better unsubscribe from this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #776
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
For those of you whose car is yet to arrive, you're in for a treat. I've had my car for just over a week now and I have to say that jumping in the car to drive to or from work is something I look forward to. And when I get to work, I'm disappointed I have to get out of it.

Then when I've taken it on long drives, it just blows my mind. Flooring it around a long sweeping interchange, it is incredibly stable and the torque is prodigious. This is one serious bit of kit.

The sound of the exhaust overrun is just fabulous too. My partner made jokes about the fact that I would play "exhaust videos" each night through the sound system before the car arrived, but no youtube clip has done this car justice. It reminds me of watching an RSR as a bystander driving down the street. Now it's coming of the four tailpipes sitting right behind me.

Firstly, impeccable word choice, sir - referring to prodigious obviously.

Secondly, I'm glad I'm not alone being mocked by my wife for watching "exhaust videos".
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #777
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

How many of you boys have read that thread about the M2 CS? What are your thoughts? I'm curious to see what it will be priced at. My guess is 130k+.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #778
NVP
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
How many of you boys have read that thread about the M2 CS? What are your thoughts? I'm curious to see what it will be priced at. My guess is 130k+.
Personally if it sounds like the current m3/m4 I wouldn't even consider it. If people want outrihht straight line speed then go buy the rs3. For the bends, the current m2 is already so much fun so to me 130k+ for a car that is as small doesn't make sense. Better cars to be had for that kind of money I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #779
Dave-A
Serial Car Buyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 1 Series M and E90 M3

Quote:
It would depend on the spec and where they position it. Is it a CS (i.e. Unlimited volume variant a la F8x or e9x) or something more limited (a la e46)?

If it's an unlimited volume variant, it should only be $10k more as a "CS" to be consistent with the M3/4 pricing (so $120k OTR).

But realistically, if it's more than just an engine (and so between a CS and a GTS) then the price will be adjusted accordingly- maybe $140k OTR. It would have to be pretty special to be more expensive than a M3/4 CS.

If it were special and a departure from the factory car (by way of different suspension, interior, roof and panels) then it might be even more. It could be pitched as a 718 GT4 competitor, in which case a price of $190k OTR plus could be feasible.

The crushing reality is that BMW is likely to sell it as DCT only (at least here).

Past: '16 F87 M2, '09 987 Cayman, '08 B7 RS4 Avant, '08 E92 M3, '01 B5 RS4 Avant, '05 987 Boxster S, '03 E46 M3, '04 Evo 8MR, and '01 8L S3.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #780
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. I mean the details are really vague. Is it track focused ala M4 GTS? Or more comp pack? And though it's supposedly getting 400BHP, it's a "special edition" slated for late 2018 when competitors are offering their "base" cars with that sort of power in 2017, all the while offering an arguably superior engine in a lesser model in the same line. It's all very strange.

I agree that circa $130k is probably where it will be pitched; any more and people (especially Aussies) will simply get an M3/M4 because it's bigger, more powerful and better equipped. But then if it's supposed to replace the base M2, they lose their "entry level M". But then who will want a relatively slow, poorly equipped, "entry level M" at a premium level price anyway?

If it's track focused, I don't care, I have no desire for a track focused car. If they positioned it as more a comp pack, I'm still not sure I would pay $130k for it especially considering M3 comp pack is what...$5k over base? If they offered it with more options - individual exterior and interior, HUD, driver mode customisation with M buttons, bespoke interior, proper M dial cluster, carbon fibre roof and more performance then maaaaaaaaybe. Even then I think I would struggle to justify that over say an RS3 or CLA45/C43 + $20-30k in my pocket or just going all the way and getting an M3CP, C63...or a 90D.

Really odd plays by BMW here, keen to see how it pans out.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #781
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
I'll hold my judgement until we get a bit more info but I'm very interested to hear the full specs and changes over our M2's. I'm secretly hoping pricing is 130k+ so it doesn't effect resale too much on the standard M2 but i doubt I'd considering buying it, I'd definitely be looking at an M3 instead at that price.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #782
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Firstly, impeccable word choice, sir - referring to prodigious obviously.

Secondly, I'm glad I'm not alone being mocked by my wife for watching "exhaust videos".
Talking of exhaust's are you considering going aftermarket when your car arrives?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:57 AM   #783
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Talking of exhaust's are you considering going aftermarket when your car arrives?
Nah, not at all. I think the standard exhaust sounds exquisite. I don't want it to sound like a V8 or a race car. I want it to sound like the silky smooth straight-6 that is it. That howl as it closes in on redline is sublime imo.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #784
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

M2 PURE w/ SunTek PPF + Opticoat Pro

I can only echo mdt post...the wait is worth it!!

Delivery Timeline
Ordered 27 July (twice actually, one dealer cancelled my order after 1 day and then had to scramble for another slot). Ship finally arrived 23-Nov then picked up from dealer Dec 5. That was grueling.

PPF / Coating
I had been trying to get PPF sorted for several weeks prior. From reading the forums (mostly US), I took two points regarding PPF (1) it's all about the installer, not the film and (2) you want to get it done ASAP to "lock in" the perfect surface.

From what I could find, not many companies in Melbourne are doing this so I suspect I spoke with most of them. You really have to dig to workout if you are even speaking to the right person. For example, Bon Vivant do not do PPF, they outsource that to The House Of Tint, who are also the owners of Tint-A-Car. But that team are meant to be the best and do all of Zagame's work (eg lambo's etc).

I was getting quoted between $2-3.5k from various places depending on the film type and number of panels to be covered. But none of them did surface preparation on site so it was going to be another $5-800 for that with a third party. at that point it was getting to be too much $$ for what is largely, a temporary addition to your car. I then found one guy, Dan "The Ultimate Detailer" who was very honest on the phone about what to expect, which was refreshing. He was not as big as the rest but could do it all in one spot. He's in a partnership with a Sydney company and uses them for all the PPF computer cutting. Obviously this was not ideal but, the cost was right and I liked Dan from the get go so I went with it.

He instructed me to tell BMW not to machine polish the car prior to delivery. He then did a full 3 stage wash, color correction, etc. Then applied SunTek PPF on the entire bonnet, front guards, mirrors, headlights, bumper, rockers, A-pillars, front of roof and bumper sill. Basically total track protection. Following that, he coated the entire car (ie filmed and unfilmed panels) in Opticoat Pro.

He loved the car as soon as I drove in and just went that extra mile, which was just such a great experience. He did a full leather treatment on the interior without even asking (or charging) and the attention to detail was great. Really, I can't say I got much love from my dealer but this experience was A+ so I would highly recommend him.

Total time there, 4 days.

Run In

Nearly 1000km's in one weekend on my favorite roads hopefully says it all and I still don't want to be writing this email or going to work tomorrow! I just want to drive!

Other than the constant rev cycling from the dealer to the shop, I finally got to drive properly and started out on some flattish twisties out the back of the Dandenongs to get a good feel, while allowing the engine to cycle the allowable range over several of the lower gears. Tyres were still quite loose and the clutch "chunky" but the signs were there. So across to Warburton with the car rapidly feeling tighter every km now. I head for Mt Donna Buang and her first hill climb at a good canter. Wow, drank a quarter of a tank in perhaps 10 minutes to the top. Very tight indeed but "mostly" a careful run.

Down and across to Healsville and the Black Spur. Slow as usual but always a great drive and you can appreciate how good the view is from the cockpit, the M2 is so practical that way + plenty of fun here. Keep driving towards Lake Mountain. Unbeknownst to me it had been setup that day for The Australian Tarmac rally to run the next morning, with no one in sight at around 7pm when I came along. There were km markers, breaking points and even start/finish banners arcing over the road...well...it was a sign right? With over 600km on the dial at this point and the car feeling great, I wound the windows down and gave it some. The 5500rpm limit was a huge tease and perhaps breached a few times (oops) but the power and sound of the overboost screaming up the hill was momentous with the downshifts making me feel and sound like a far better driver than I am. Stability is just there, constantly. Even the girlfriend is loving this, as she said "I thought we were literally flying at some points!" and it all just feels so planted, so in control and just...safe. Really, I know that sounds like a funny thing to say at XXkm/hr into a 45km/hr corner.

Probably that's why some reviewers prefer the 1M but for me, coming from an AWD, if i had lost the back end hard even once, it would of scared the s@#t out of me on those roads right next to trees. Never even went into Sport+, just played in sport with all nannies on and it just played right back with me, little slides here, a little wobble there under power and gurgles of exhaust all the way. It was awesome! And I'm sure there's a lot more waiting for me once the training wheels properly come off!

As a note, the car defiantly gets better/faster/smoother as you work through the run in. Will be interesting to see how she feels after the first service but I suspect given typical engineering safety standards, my run in is probably complete with 1000km now on the dial.

Happy Snaps

Last edited by lpak; 12-11-2016 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 3
Prodigy.698.50
Aust350z243.00
      12-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #785
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Great write up mate, sounds like you had a lot of fun in those hills.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #786
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Fantastic writeup! Oddly, it seems we'll be sharing similar experiences; I'm coming from AWD and awaiting on an AW 6MT.

Car looks stunning!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #787
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I love it! It's such a wolf in sheeps clothing. At least in AW, it does not really turn heads, keep it in 5th around the streets and it looks and sounds really like any other bimmer to most people (and cops i noticed which is a +). But, drop it down into 2nd or 3rd and give it a little nudge, and heads turn all the way up the street ahead of you - now you're a proper wanker in a bimmer !!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #788
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Great write up mate, sounds like you had a lot of fun in those hills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Fantastic writeup! Oddly, it seems we'll be sharing similar experiences; I'm coming from AWD and awaiting on an AW 6MT.

Car looks stunning!
Thanks guys! Too much fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #789
BuzzLightyear
Rep
Drives: M2

Hey everyone. Just noticed that my passenger side-mirror looks down when I put the car in reverse to show the wheel and ground. I've have mine for a few months and only just noticed. But it only happens when the adjuster switch is on that side (I have probably had it on the other side which is why I hadn't noticed until now). Is this a common thing for BMW to do? Does this even your cars? As thanks, here is another picture of my car after a wash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #790
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyear View Post
Hey everyone. Just noticed that my passenger side-mirror looks down when I put the car in reverse to show the wheel and ground. I've have mine for a few months and only just noticed. But it only happens when the adjuster switch is on that side (I have probably had it on the other side which is why I hadn't noticed until now). Is this a common thing for BMW to do? Does this even your cars? As thanks, here is another picture of my car after a wash.
Yes this is common !!! Everything is in the book.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #791
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyear View Post
Yes it is normal and is a pretty common feature nowadays, even my wife's Honda HRV does it. I find it very handy.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #792
BuzzLightyear
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Yes it is normal and is a pretty common feature nowadays, even my wife's Honda HRV does it. I find it very handy.
I agree, very handy, especially with reverse parallel parking.
Appreciate 0