BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Pricing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #177
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2669
Rep
10,654
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I also think the M2 will do many things much better for many people but many people place a high priority on screen size, soft suspension, self parking, parking sensors, rear view camera, bluetooth integration, digital HP meters, automatic transmission, active suspension etc. For those that put a high value on that, the M2 will crush the 1M. It will also post faster numbers on the track too and it will probably have a digitally optimized sound track to go with it. But for some, all of this takes away from focus on driving and dilutes it with infotainment. I also don't care if a car is 1 second faster on the ring....I'm not going over there to race.

The things that I would like to see improved on the M2 over the 1M is throttle response and throttle linearity. The 1M throttle was hard to modulate. It had such a surge that it was difficult to manage. I would like more of the infotainment research dollars to make a more linear and more responsive turbo power plant. That is what I think could be improved over the 1M. The 1M would blow intake pipes on the track. That should be improved in the next model. The base traction control on the 1M was never fully developed and it was a pain driving it with full TC on. You had to switch to M dynamic mode for almost everything. That should be improved on the M2.

The rest of the stuff, I don't know what they can improve. I thought the fixed firm suspension and real exhaust were perfect as was the clean no-nav dash but if they address my list of core issues, I'll just have to ignore the fluff and be happy with some NA like throttle response and linear power band.
Honestly, I have no idea what kind of numbers the M2 will put up, but that's not really my main priority. I also can't comment on N54 vs N55 as I don't have that much seat time behind them.

However, I'm able to compare my E92 M3 vs M3/4, which will be similar to comparing the 1M vs the M2.
Brakes: Like I said, BMW finally stepped up in the brakes department. The new M brakes are Porsche good, seriously. And I'm talking about the standard ones, not the carbon ceramics. You think the brakes on the E9x M3 and 1M are pretty good (in terms of pedal feel) until you drive a Porsche or M3/4.
Suspension: Again, they've made an improvement. A lot of it has to do with how stiff the M3/4 is, but it remains to be seen if the M2 will be as well. I don't see why the won't bolt it to the chassis like the M3/4, which is for sure an improvement over my E92 (which will also mean improvement over the 1M). The car just feels so taut during acceleration. Also, there's absolutely nothing soft about the M3/4 suspension, so we don't even have to worry about that.
Transmission: I plan on getting the 6MT, but the 8AT (should they go with that) is an awesome transmission. The 6MT of course would be same unit from the 1M I assume, which is really damn good.

Those 3 items are pretty huge deals for me, and enhance the driving experience tremendously. The big question IMO will be the weight. I don't think we have a chance in hell with matching the 1M.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of driving the 1M, but I'm just going by the E9x M3 vs M3/4, which the 1M and M2 share parts with.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #178
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
656
Rep
3,294
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

I agree. Weight is the big elephant. The 1M brakes were actually terrific even though they were the same as e90 M3 the 1M was much lighter so the brakes worked better and faded less albeit not sure if Porsche good. I hope the M2 is
Much lighter than 235i but that is based on how it's optioned. For example you can only order power seats in US and only active suspension and all sorts of weight inducing options. I hope they keep the cost down let you order it stripped. Finally on motors, the perfect motor would have the torque of n54 with throttle response and sound of v8 m3 motor. If BMW made a motor like that, I would sing it praises from the rooftop. That's what I wish for
M2!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #179
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2669
Rep
10,654
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I agree. Weight is the big elephant. The 1M brakes were actually terrific even though they were the same as e90 M3 the 1M was much lighter so the brakes worked better and faded less albeit not sure if Porsche good. I hope the M2 is
Much lighter than 235i but that is based on how it's optioned. For example you can only order power seats in US and only active suspension and all sorts of weight inducing options. I hope they keep the cost down let you order it stripped. Finally on motors, the perfect motor would have the torque of n54 with throttle response and sound of v8 m3 motor. If BMW made a motor like that, I would sing it praises from the rooftop. That's what I wish for
M2!
You are right, very good point on the 1M being lighter than the E92, forgot to consider that. Still though, the new M's have 4 pistons up front I believe. I'm also talking more about bite. The new ones are so much more immediate.

I think weight is what all of us are very concerned about. Personally, I didn't think the M235i was that terrible, but I wasn't pushing it on the track. The M235i was right in the middle point between my E92 and my E36. Not great, but not horrific either.

I also plan to go low options, they better give us that choice, or it could end up being a deal breaker for me. Not only do I want to keep the cost down, I also want to make the car decently light. The only options I would want to pay for are LED headlights, metallic paint and HK sound system. I'm very hopeful we can get manual cloth seats and CF roof standard. That would be a dream for me!
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #180
Xach
Private
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los angeles Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Also no offense from here either! The M235i is a fantastic package, great value and in my opinion the best all-around BMW out today but if you come from 1M or some other M cars, it's too soft for our tastes. It has a comfort button. The 1M did not. The suspension is soft and I'm not a fan of digitally enhanced sound and no temp gauge, etc. I was ready to buy M235i after all the hype about it being faster than 1M at the Ring but it's just a bit too much for everyone and very heavy for its size. By the time you add a LSD and a proper suspension, rip off the LCD display, disconnect the digital sound and put an exhaust system, it will cost as much as the M2 which should be lighter and maybe have a real exhaust a la 1M.

With that said, I am using the M235i as a baseline to compare the M2. If the M2 comes with the same comfort buttons, no temp gauge, digital sound and ho-hum exhaust and the same steering and soft suspension and weighs 3500-3600 lbs then there is no point buying one because as you said, you can get an M235i for a lot less and 90% of the fun.
Yea ofcourse man i came from a stock E90 335i and this is on a whole other dimension compared to it. but coming from a 1M is totally different. If i had the money i was going to buy a E92 M3 or a E30 M3 and boost it loll. but if the M2 has the same little bad things like the M235i and is going to be over 60k starting AND is going to be over 400hp AND its going to have that ugly front end(bias opinion) then i dont think its worth it. lol. itll beat the M3/M4 if it comes with over 400HP and torque
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #181
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2669
Rep
10,654
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM235iXDrive View Post
Yea ofcourse man i came from a stock E90 335i and this is on a whole other dimension compared to it. but coming from a 1M is totally different. If i had the money i was going to buy a E92 M3 or a E30 M3 and boost it loll. but if the M2 has the same little bad things like the M235i and is going to be over 60k starting AND is going to be over 400hp AND its going to have that ugly front end(bias opinion) then i dont think its worth it. lol. itll beat the M3/M4 if it comes with over 400HP and torque
Let's get one thing straight though. I call BS on it starting over 60k

People are throwing out all these random numbers. First of all, the car is not going to be only $2000 less than a base M3. Not going to happen. Second of all, it's not going to be priced a whopping $12k more than an CLA45 AMG, one of its main competitors.

And I already commented what it'll do better than the M235i. I think the M235i is a bloody good platform to start from, but I think that's why people are so excited about the M2. Haven't seen this kind of buzz about an M car for a while IMO.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #182
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
656
Rep
3,294
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM235iXDrive View Post
Yea ofcourse man i came from a stock E90 335i and this is on a whole other dimension compared to it. but coming from a 1M is totally different. If i had the money i was going to buy a E92 M3 or a E30 M3 and boost it loll. but if the M2 has the same little bad things like the M235i and is going to be over 60k starting AND is going to be over 400hp AND its going to have that ugly front end(bias opinion) then i dont think its worth it. lol. itll beat the M3/M4 if it comes with over 400HP and torque
Yeah the M235 is relevant for because it sets the watermark that the m2 should surpass and it's pretty high especially for the price. If I could've ordered an m235i with no idrive, no power seats no folding mirrors no idrive and no active suspension, I would've purchased it already. I hope they let us choose options on the m2 not force them on you like the 235i. Even the interior got lamed by BMW USA.

Check out the Base M235i interior in Europe. It's a stunning performance oriented Alcantara cloth interior. The US got
Black vinyl that looks like leather.
I hope they offer some sort of Alcantara or leather cloth too.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by nachob; 12-26-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #183
Xach
Private
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los angeles Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yeah the M235 is relevant for because it sets the watermark that the m2 should surpass and it's pretty high especially for the price. If I could've ordered an m235i with no idrive, no power seats no folding mirrors no idrive and no active suspension, I would've purchased it already. I hope they let us choose options on the m2 not force them on you like the 235i. Even the interior got lamed by BMW USA.

Check out the Base M235i interior in Europe. It's a stunning performance oriented Alcantara cloth interior. The US got
Black vinyl that looks like leather.

I hope they offer some sort of Alcantara or leather cloth too.
lets go to germany hahaa that looks badass man especially for someone who doesnt want all those packages.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #184
Xach
Private
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los angeles Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Let's get one thing straight though. I call BS on it starting over 60k

People are throwing out all these random numbers. First of all, the car is not going to be only $2000 less than a base M3. Not going to happen. Second of all, it's not going to be priced a whopping $12k more than an CLA45 AMG, one of its main competitors.

And I already commented what it'll do better than the M235i. I think the M235i is a bloody good platform to start from, but I think that's why people are so excited about the M2. Haven't seen this kind of buzz about an M car for a while IMO.
well thats what the employee told me loll so im going off what i heard. and the M235i is supposed to be compared to the CLA45amg but its BS the way they do the comparison on youtube.lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #185
Mwm1166
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 435i on order
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Studio City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
So, after a little guessing, math, and logic, I convinced myself that the M2 will start for a base model right around 51k-52k.

I was curious if anyone here has any more solid leads on how it will be priced, and why/why not?
This was my post almost a year out! Looks like I nailed the pricing! Any praise??

EDIT: My bad I made this post 1.5 years before the pricing was released...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #186
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
3394
Rep
12,605
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
So, after a little guessing, math, and logic, I convinced myself that the M2 will start for a base model right around 51k-52k.

I was curious if anyone here has any more solid leads on how it will be priced, and why/why not?
This was my post almost a year out! Looks like I nailed the pricing! Any praise??

EDIT: My bad I made this post 1.5 years before the pricing was released...
Fair play. Some of the replies circa $60k hehe.
__________________
M2 - Long Beach Blue - DCT
Mini JCW / X5M50d / 335d / Mini Cooper / M4 / M235i / 520D / X5 / X1 / 520D / 330D / 330i
Petrol 6 - Diesel 7
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015 bmw m2, 2015 m2, 2016 bmw m2, 2016 m2, bmw f22 m2, bmw f87 m2, bmw m2, bmw m2 coupe, bmw m2 coupe news, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 f22, bmw m2 f87, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m2 n55, bmw m2 n55 engine, bmw m2 news, bmw m2 render, bmw m2 rendering, bmw m2 renders, bmw m2 rumors, bmw spy pic, bmw spy shot, bmw spyshot, f87, f87 m2, m2 coupe, m2 f87, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 n55, m2 news, m2 rumors, n55 bmw m2, n55 m2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST