BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A few early '18 LCIs delivered with Adaptive LED Headlights at no cost

09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #265
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I disagree. The only differences for the 2018 Executive Package are the addition of the Adaptive LED Headlights and the deletion of the Rear-View Camera, which is now standard on all 2018 BMWs and included in the MSRP. The price hike for the 2018 Executive Package is only $150 (From $1,400 to $1,550).

So, for 2018 if you take out the $100-150 for the Rear-View Camera (industry estimate) and add the Executive Package $150 difference from 2017 to 2018, that's going to get you to $300. Even if it were a total of $400 or $500 to add the Adaptive LED Headlights over and above the Self-Leveling, Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights that were standard in 2017, that's still only a third of the cost of the 2018 Executive Package.

Last edited by Spa2k; 09-25-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #266
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Wow, this is a lot of angst over parts that can't total anywhere near 1 percent of the value of the whole car.

All manufacturers reserve the right to change, revise and/or upgrade specifications as necessary. Minor production variations happen all the time. Practically speaking, the fact that Adaptive LED Headlights have appeared both inside and outside the Executive Package is hardly a reason to demand compensation, especially if BMW's reason for including them on "base" cars is a problem with a supplier, a parts shortage or even a correctable mistake in the parts specification process for the manufacturing plant. Would you rather that BMW had not started production of the LCIs (or at least the base models) until later this year? That could have been a financially disastrous decision - and think how the buyers of those cars would feel about having their cars delayed for months. RS3, anyone?

Also, I wasn't kidding higher in this thread when I said that it's possible that Adaptive LED Headlights may, in fact, be standard on all U.S. LCIs - and we just don't know it yet, because a marketing and/or manufacturing decision was made after the promotional materials were produced months ago. Or maybe BMW is just trying to keep the line moving because it didn't have nonadaptive LEDs available. It's just too soon to tell, and maybe we'll never know.

At this point, the sampling of affected vehicles in this situation is tiny. Only a small percentage of owners of the LCIs participate in this forum or have taken delivery (or both). Other than one car delivered to Chicago - for which we don't have all the facts - have there been any base LCIs actually delivered into the hands of owners that don't have the 552s? I haven't seen any. (That doesn't mean they dont exist - I just haven't seen them.) But we do know that half a dozen base models have been delivered with the 552s - and two future owners of late-year builds have said the 552s are in their paperwork.

I only started this thread because I haven't paid much attention to new BMWs for many years - but the whole 552 thing was an anomaly that bugged me, and my car was one of the first handful to hit the U.S. However, I've said all along that I couldn't care less about having LEDs whose only extra feature was that they bend a little around corners - I just wanted LEDs, which with the sunroof, were the primary reasons I turned down the dealer's last '17 allocation and grabbed his first '18 allocation.

So, if you really feel wounded by an auto manufacturer that's just working in a normal vehicle production environment and conducting business as they all do, go ahead and write BMW a letter saying how ripped off you feel. And if you get anything of value in response, send me a copy. Then I can talk with BMW about getting Contis instead of Pirellis.
I feel wounded, I feel wounded

JK...LOL

Oh and it is Conti's instead of Michelin's
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      09-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #267
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Michelins - Duh. (But I really wanted Pirellis...or maybe Coopers. Has Firestone got anything in a whitewall?)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #268
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Michelins - Duh. (But I really wanted Pirellis...or maybe Coopers. Has Firestone got anything in a whitewall?)
Firestone. or Hancook
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1193.00
doug_9992538.50
      09-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #269
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
: Coopers all the way
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      09-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #270
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I disagree. The only differences for the 2018 Executive Package are the addition of the Adaptive LED Headlights and the deletion of the Rear-View Camera, which is now standard on all 2018 BMWs and included in the MSRP. The price hike for the 2018 Executive Package is only $150 (From $1,400 to $1,550).

So, for 2018 if you take out the $100-150 for the Rear-View Camera (industry estimate) and add the Executive Package $150 difference from 2017 to 2018, that's going to get you to $300. Even if it were a total of $400 or $500 to add the Adaptive LED Headlights over and above the Self-Leveling, Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights that were standard in 2017, that's still only a third of the cost of the 2018 Executive Package.
No point discussing it since we cant see how the pricing is broken down, but even at a third of the cost of the entire package (I think its more) that is a significant amount percentage wise.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #271
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

The heated steering wheel is worth all of the money for the package!

Edit:
PS - seriously, I know headlights have to be approved for the US - is there a chance they don't have approval for the standard ones yet and have to put the other ones in for now?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #272
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Can't believe no one has asked how much is it going to cost to retrofit them into a 2017!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #273
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

For BMW, it's probably just a few hundred dollars over and above what's already in the car. But for a retrofit, I predict it would be the one of the highest-dollar, lowest return upgrades in the history of the M2 - and perhaps BMW.

The pricing isn't available yet, but here are the part nos., so someone can let us know.
Left: 63117469787
Right: 63117469788

Don't forget the double-button turn signal stalk and all the hidden bits and pieces too...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #274
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
PS - seriously, I know headlights have to be approved for the US - is there a chance they don't have approval for the standard ones yet and have to put the other ones in for now?

A good thought and entirely possible, in light (pun intended) of everything else surrounding this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:50 AM   #275
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
For BMW, it's probably just a few hundred dollars over and above what's already in the car. But for a retrofit, I predict it would be the one of the highest-dollar, lowest return upgrades in the history of the M2 - and perhaps BMW.

The pricing isn't available yet, but here are the part nos., so someone can let us know.
Left: 63117469787
Right: 63117469788

Don't forget the double-button turn signal stalk and all the hidden bits and pieces too...
The double button stalk should only be necessary if you wanted the auto highbeams.

People who have "mistakenly" received the adaptive (turning) LEDs, to my knowledge, have not received the necessary hardware for auto highbeams (requires the camera behind the mirror that is part of Exec package).

There are probably also additional sensors required for the L/R swiveling, or additional wiring or coding (probably uses the built-in steering angle sensors but then has to calculate how much "turn" to give the lights based on that).

I still haven't seen good enough close-up pictures of the lights to know if the swiveling is mechanical or electrical, either...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #276
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
The double button stalk should only be necessary if you wanted the auto highbeams.

People who have "mistakenly" received the adaptive (turning) LEDs, to my knowledge, have not received the necessary hardware for auto highbeams (requires the camera behind the mirror that is part of Exec package).

There are probably also additional sensors required for the L/R swiveling, or additional wiring or coding (probably uses the built-in steering angle sensors but then has to calculate how much "turn" to give the lights based on that).

I still haven't seen good enough close-up pictures of the lights to know if the swiveling is mechanical or electrical, either...
I can post a close up later today, what exactly do you want to see?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #277
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
As close as you can (in focus, multiple angles) around the main beam area is a good start. Usually it's pretty obvious if there is a portion that can move in there, as it will be separated from the rest of the housing somehow.

TBH it's also possible that it is both mechanical and electrical/multi-chip-based; I'd only be able to know for sure by tearing into the whole assembly which is not likely to happen unless someone damages one and sends it to me. :P

Here's the thing about the F80/F82 LED setup (click through on the PDF so you can actually zoom and read it) - from there it appears to be a combo of mechanical movement and separate LED segments. Seems probable the 2er lights would be similar...

IMO the non-mechanical / fully electronic stuff is "the way of the future," no moving parts means less to break... but probably costs more. Pretty sure most of the Mercedes stuff is using 100% segmented / LED pixels and no motors anymore.

One major benefit I see to LEDs, regardless of the specific technology used - no more idiots putting Xenon bulbs into housings that weren't meant for them, and the stupid overly blue/purple light trend will slowly die out.

Now if only we could get people to stop turning on their fog lights when it isn't foggy... (No, it doesn't help you see better at night, unless you're trying to see through fog...)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 09-26-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #278
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Update: Car arrived at dealer today, so after 2 days on transport. My non exec did come with the 552s that showed up on the order sheet and vin. On a sour note, there is a small scratch (but quite deep) above the front wheel well between the front driver tire and reflector so will have to wait a couple weeks for it to be fixed before taking delivery. Looks like it was from the truck driver being careless with the straps.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #279
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
Update: Car arrived at dealer today, so after 2 days on transport. My non exec did come with the 552s that showed up on the order sheet and vin. On a sour note, there is a small scratch (but quite deep) above the front wheel well between the front driver tire and reflector so will have to wait a couple weeks for it to be fixed before taking delivery. Looks like it was from the truck driver being careless with the straps.
I took delivery of mine a week ago Monday at which time I noticed a tiny nick in the paint on the driver door handle that somebody either at the port or the dealership tried to touch up, but it was very evident to me. I brought it back to the dealer yesterday for an appt to 1) get PPF applied to key areas and 2) to get that nick fixed. They sent it to the body shop 4 miles away where its supposed to be fixed.

Really annoys me when they deliver a new car of this ilk with a 'damage' in it. The nick on mine sounds way smaller than yours, but nevertheless, hopefully, the body shop will be able to match the LBB perfectly, and not get overspray on any adjacent panels. Oh, the things that can go wrong keep me up at night!
Attached Images

09-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #280
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

The scratch on mine is fairly small, about 1cm i would estimate. The issue is that it is deep past the clear coat. BMW Genius said the body shop would most likely have to wet sand it. Hoping it turns out okay, but at least I haven't signed anything and don't have to take delivery if i'm not satisfied. Just stings after waiting nearly 2 years since placing my deposit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #281
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't notice mine till after I paid and was getting ready to drive it home. Otherwise I would have had them fix it first to my satisfaction and demanded a loaner since I had just sold my 135i to make room for M2. Your think they'd have had these things inspected and fixed before we ever were asked to take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #282
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

I'd rather have a dealer not fix minor body damage before I see the car; then I know the full extent of the damage and can make sure it's repaired properly. If I discover a repaired area later, I'd always wonder how bad the damage really was and if the area was prepped properly before the repair - for example, not replacing a front turn signal that was smashed in transit by mounting the new one with rubber drywall anchors, which were totally invisible until I had to take the turn signal apart to replace a bulb!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #283
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You've got a point there. Now I worry about paint mismatch, overspray, and incidental damage. To do this door handle, is the correct way to remove the handle and take it to the spray booth, or to cover the car in plastic and tape leaving just the handle exposed and spray that way? Sometimes I think I'd have been better off just Dr. Colorchipping it myself, being such a small nick (quarter inch). But because there is really no divot or indent at all to catch and hold paint it's really not an ideal candidate for that. Maybe just laying the tip of a toothpick dipped in a little paint would have done it. So now it's being professionally done which in the best of all worlds is the approach I prefer, I should find out today or tomorrow if it was the right one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #284
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

The inconsistency continues - here's another confirmation of a non-exec that did NOT get adaptives:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...58&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #285
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

So now we can say conclusively that the only consistency is inconsistency.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #286
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
The inconsistency continues - here's another confirmation of a non-exec that did NOT get adaptives:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...58&postcount=1
Pictures for confirmation should be required to prevent mis identification
Appreciate 0