BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Car & Driver Predicts S55 w/ 400HP for the M2

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #111
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
929
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
What won't happen:
weight stripping; that is just a ludicrous and overly optimistic expectation
SCOTT26 (the resident forum insider) has said on multiple occasions that the M2 will get weight saving components, much like the M3/4. Now, based on the actual weights of the M3/4, that might be more //Marketing than reality, but people aren't pulling that one out of a hat. BMW is actually touting the reduced weight thing as a core part of their design philosophy for M-cars now.

"The horsepower wars are over!"

"Lightness is where it's at!"

That's the message we're getting from M GmbH.
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #112
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
264
Rep
3,125
Posts

Drives: around town (Philadelphia)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: a black coupe

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
SCOTT26 (the resident forum insider) has said on multiple occasions that the M2 will get weight saving components, much like the M3/4. Now, based on the actual weights of the M3/4, that might be more //Marketing than reality, but people aren't pulling that one out of a hat. BMW is actually touting the reduced weight thing as a core part of their design philosophy for M-cars now.

"The horsepower wars are over!"

"Lightness is where it's at!"

That's the message we're getting from M GmbH.
If it's from making the suspension, engine, roof/hood and other compenents lighter then yes it absolutely will happen; but when I hear it worded as "weight stripping" what comes to mind is the removal of parts that would otherwise be there on the normal 2 series like sound insulation. I just don't think that will happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #113
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
929
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
If it's from making the suspension, engine, roof/hood and other compenents lighter then yes it absolutely will happen; but when I hear it worded as "weight stripping" what comes to mind is the removal of parts that would otherwise be there on the normal 2 series like sound insulation. I just don't think that will happen.
Yeah, agree 100%.
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #114
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
781
Rep
1,974
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
If it's from making the suspension, engine, roof/hood and other compenents lighter then yes it absolutely will happen; but when I hear it worded as "weight stripping" what comes to mind is the removal of parts that would otherwise be there on the normal 2 series like sound insulation. I just don't think that will happen.
I believe the 1M had some sound insulation removed but I am not sure how much and how much weight it really saved.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #115
chris719
Captain
215
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I would not expect much weight loss. This car will get some of the parts from the M3/M4 like suspension, but I don't think it's going to be significant. It will drive a lot better though.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #116
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
42
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaspar View Post
Had a 2008 135i, fun to drive, N54. Currently drive a 2013 e92 M3, great car, S65 v8 (great engine) and a 2003 C32 AMG, supercharged v6 (great engine). In addition would like to add a smaller performance car, sorry I sold the 135i.

Can't comment on speculation. 4 cylinder S engine or S55 I buy - N55 I pass. Not paying M price for tuned N55. If the M2 has a N55 will start looking at Mini and Golf R.
N55 is truly a nice engine, but I take your point, M2 with a tuned N55 would basically be the current Dinan Stage2.
__________________
135i Coupe N55 PPK+JB4
X3 30d LCI
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #117
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2669
Rep
10,654
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
If it's from making the suspension, engine, roof/hood and other compenents lighter then yes it absolutely will happen; but when I hear it worded as "weight stripping" what comes to mind is the removal of parts that would otherwise be there on the normal 2 series like sound insulation. I just don't think that will happen.
I'd be completely satisfied with that. I don't expect a 2-300 lbs weight loss, but I would love to see aluminum hood, CF roof and trunk. Add along all the M3/4 components in the driveline, and I would absolutely let the fact that it has an N55 rather than detuned S55 or a high performance 4 pot slide.

Oh as long as they can keep it under $55k base of course.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #118
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
781
Rep
1,974
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'd be completely satisfied with that. I don't expect a 2-300 lbs weight loss, but I would love to see aluminum hood, CF roof and trunk. Add along all the M3/4 components in the driveline, and I would absolutely let the fact that it has an N55 rather than detuned S55 or a high performance 4 pot slide.

Oh as long as they can keep it under $55k base of course.
The 1M base price was just under 48k so I think(hope) the M2 should start no more than 52k with addition of CF roof and trunk. I really hope we can get manual seats but am not holding my breath. Unfortunately, I will need navigation and an auto/DCT because this will be my wife's car...Im keeping the 1M. I am still working on her to learn how to drive a manual(not in my car though) so there is hope.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015 bmw m2, 2015 m2, 2016 bmw m2, 2016 m2, bmw f22 m2, bmw f87 m2, bmw f92, bmw m2, bmw m2 coupe, bmw m2 coupe news, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 f22, bmw m2 f87, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m2 n55, bmw m2 n55 engine, bmw m2 news, bmw m2 render, bmw m2 rendering, bmw m2 renders, bmw m2 rumors, bmw spy pic, bmw spy shot, bmw spyshot, f87, f87 m2, f92 m2, m2 coupe, m2 f87, m2 f92, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 n55, m2 news, m2 rumors, n55 bmw m2, n55 m2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST