BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M Performance steering wheel with LED race display not working

08-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #1
F87M2Melb
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

M Performance steering wheel with LED race display not working

Hi all,

I’ve had an m performance steering LED race display wheel installed in my car for the last year and has been working fine until today as the display and led shift lights no longer switch on with the double button press. The rev lights and bmw m performance logo no longer flash on car start up as well.

Before bringing it down to the workshop, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if there’s anything I can do myself to get the display and rev counter working again? Really hoping that it’s not a known issue that the race display and/or wiring will eventually just wear out and no longer function!

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:38 AM   #2
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87M2Melb View Post
Hi all,

I’ve had an m performance steering LED race display wheel installed in my car for the last year and has been working fine until today as the display and led shift lights no longer switch on with the double button press. The rev lights and bmw m performance logo no longer flash on car start up as well.

Before bringing it down to the workshop, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if there’s anything I can do myself to get the display and rev counter working again? Really hoping that it’s not a known issue that the race display and/or wiring will eventually just wear out and no longer function!

TIA
I have the same wheel and also encountered the same problem a few times before. I do not have a concrete conclusion of the cause and solution, it is just based on my own memory and observation.

The best guess is the car inside is too hot. After A/C is on and drive for a while, totally shutdown your car and then restart the engine. The wheel usually comes up again.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:18 AM   #3
F87M2Melb
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Thanks for the reply. The wheel ended up working again the next time I went to drive it.. Didn’t do anything different. I’ve had the too hot issue before but it’s winter and pretty cold in my part of the world so it’s a bit perplexing. Will keep my eyes on it to see if it plays up again.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Mine does the same thing. For some reason for at least 1 session per track day it just wont turn on... if anyone figured out the solution let me know. Not sure how often it really happens since I dont really use the lights other than on track. Super frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #5
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87M2Melb View Post
Thanks for the reply. The wheel ended up working again the next time I went to drive it.. Didn’t do anything different. I’ve had the too hot issue before but it’s winter and pretty cold in my part of the world so it’s a bit perplexing. Will keep my eyes on it to see if it plays up again.
The heat issue though will blink red. So that's not what this issue is.
Appreciate 1