BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 LCI to wait or not to wait?

03-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #287
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiater View Post
I've been waiting almost a year and was contacted in Feb to say I finally had a build slot. I decided, after the initial shock of finally hearing from the dealer, to cancel and join the queue for an MY18 LCI. What can I say, I'm British... and everyone knows how much we love queuing!
I went to visit my dealer yesterday. Surprise, surprise.... there was a brand new LBB sitting inside the main window with a SOLD sticker on it. It looked utterly fabulous. A salesman sauntered up and haughtily inquired if he could help. I replied that I was just wondering if this was MY car, ordered 11 months ago (this is a fairly small French town). We went into the accounts department to check (not that I REALLY believed it was mine !) and it transpired that this one belonged to someone who had ordered it a couple of months before I ordered mine. The accounts ladies told me "Oh you 'ave also ordered ze LBB, eet eez very beautifool ze long bitch blue ! You 'ave certainly med ze right choise !" They told me that my car would be built in june so it should arrive end june / early july... just in time to miss the LCI of course. I asked about pushing delivery back to august / september but they told me the only way to do that was to cancel and re-order (and have to wait all over again). Oh well..... I asked if they had a production number or something which I could track but apparently there's nothing so far. So another 90 nights of going to sleep dreaming of my M2....
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 4
S1monQc223.50
STK215.50
M2 CSL446.50
      03-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #288
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Ze Long bitch blue
Appreciate 1
F1346.50
      03-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #289
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
"Oh you 'ave also ordered ze LBB, eet eez very beautifool ze long bitch blue ! You 'ave certainly med ze right choise !"
You have to make a collection video!
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      03-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #290
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I went to visit my dealer yesterday. Surprise, surprise.... there was a brand new LBB sitting inside the main window with a SOLD sticker on it. It looked utterly fabulous. A salesman sauntered up and haughtily inquired if he could help. I replied that I was just wondering if this was MY car, ordered 11 months ago (this is a fairly small French town). We went into the accounts department to check (not that I REALLY believed it was mine !) and it transpired that this one belonged to someone who had ordered it a couple of months before I ordered mine. The accounts ladies told me "Oh you 'ave also ordered ze LBB, eet eez very beautifool ze long bitch blue ! You 'ave certainly med ze right choise !" They told me that my car would be built in june so it should arrive end june / early july... just in time to miss the LCI of course. I asked about pushing delivery back to august / september but they told me the only way to do that was to cancel and re-order (and have to wait all over again). Oh well..... I asked if they had a production number or something which I could track but apparently there's nothing so far. So another 90 nights of going to sleep dreaming of my M2....
Skip and re-order !

Order-to-delivery times have been significantly reduced. At my dealer it now only takes approximatey three to four months. No more bottle-necks as in 2016. Demand isn't as strong anymore, according to my dealer.

Save yourself the frustration of getting the very last MY2017. You will very likely still get your MY2018 this year if you re-order now. No thanks needed for this piece or advice. If they tell you that you may wait for another year, feel free to reply that you'll prove them wrong. MY 2018 (M2 LCI) production starts this July. Better resale value too. What a difference a month makes...
Moris3.00
      03-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #291
Stv.
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Skip and re-order !

Order-to-delivery times have been significantly reduced. At my dealer it now only takes approximatey three to four months. No more bottle-necks as in 2016. Demand isn't as strong anymore, according to my dealer.

Save yourself the frustration of getting the very last MY2017. You will very likely still get your MY2018 this year if you re-order now. No thanks needed for this piece or advice. If they tell you that you may wait for another year, feel free to reply that you'll prove them wrong. MY 2018 (M2 LCI) production starts this July. Better resale value too. What a difference a month makes...
Hi Artemis,

did you already place an order for the LCI in Belgium?
According to my dealer this wasn't possible yet so I went for the current model expecting production June.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #292
jcompleto
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stv. View Post
Hi Artemis,

did you already place an order for the LCI in Belgium?
According to my dealer this wasn't possible yet so I went for the current model expecting production June.

Cheers
Just as information, I talked with my SA on Friday and he told me I will get the LCI model. I don't have a delivery date yet, but should have one in the next four weeks... that's what I was told. Also, no change in price was agreed.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #293
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stv. View Post
  • Some dealers now: "Ah, the Internet: rumors and gossip. People post whatever. But please sign these documents right now and the M2 will be sitting on your driveway this June."
  • Some dealers this July: "What did you say ? That you feel a little grumpy because you were very close on getting the facelifted M2 ? C'mon, cars evolve, you know ? Hey, also the old M2 is a great car."
  • Some dealers in the future: "That's the old model, the one before the facelift, right ? Of course I could have offered you a bit more as trade-in if it were the facelifted M2."
Feel free to order what you want. If it were my money to be spent, I would ensure that my car would be built after the 'cut-off date' (when BMW switches from pre-facelift to facelift production this July). You'll see: BMW will officially confirm the M2 LCI this Spring.

If you mean that your dealer cannot give you yet a production date after, say, July 2017: that's possible.
      03-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #294
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiater View Post
I've been waiting almost a year and was contacted in Feb to say I finally had a build slot. I decided, after the initial shock of finally hearing from the dealer, to cancel and join the queue for an MY18 LCI. What can I say, I'm British... and everyone knows how much we love queuing!
Listen, There will always be something bigger and better that will come out down the road. If we spend all of our time waiting for the next iteration of something we would never buy anything. Why not just wait for the next version of the M2?

I just took delivery of my 2017 LBB M2, decked out in performance exhaust and other carbon fiber bits. It's absolutely amazing!! Just get the car, drive it, enjoy it. At the end of the day it will make absolutely no difference to you on a day to day basis.
      03-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #295
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Wink

Quote:
Well, you'll miss the extra 30 HP; the PS4Ss; the new colors; and a pony... Enjoy the new M2!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #296
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I decided to go with the ZCP M3 instead.
Attached Images

03-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #297
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

If you are one of those who get really sad and depressed because you didn't get the new up to date product, then it's better to skip this generation and wait for 2022.

I don't mind waiting​ till July-august when a possible new production starts, by that time we will get better information about the Minor upgrades. Here i can decide to buy NOW or wait till November (if i were lucky on 1st order list) .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #298
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I decided to go with the ZCP M3 instead.
Woah, what did I miss? You got rid of the Cayman?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #299
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Woah, what did I miss? You got rid of the Cayman?
I did.

Love the car - seriously love it...it's the nicest thing I have ever owned. The sound and handling are 11s on a 10 point scale.

But it was also my DD...so not very comfortable for long periods of simple highway driving or commuting (fixed suspension, no PASM). I haven't ever tracked it either, which is something that would have made having it as my DD more "worth it" if that makes sense.

I also finally did what you told me NOT to do...drove the F80 ZCP for an extended period of time and then got back in the 981...the car simply needs more power. It is a lot of fun for sure, the F6 is a screaming animal...and I don't regret having it, but the F80 cures all the ills I didn't like about the 235, and some of the more gradual gripes I associated with the 981. I think it's perfect for me, at least for now.

It's also expensive, and the F80 is saving me significantly on a monthly payment basis - there's no doubt that cost and maintenance in the Porsche world are a different kind of animal. I think the 20K mile service was quoted around a grand, so you get the point...

I needed something that was just a tad more usable in everyday situations, and the F80 gives me all of that. I love all the adjust-ability on the throttle, suspension, steering, and viciousness of the shifts - you can really dial it in to the needs of any particular moment. The tech is also much, much better, which I didn't realize I cared about until I got to use it.

All in all, I am really happy. Love this car and always wanted an M3.
      03-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #300
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Better resale value too. What a difference a month makes...
Do you really think the better resale value will be more than the MY price bump? Pretty much a wash, I think.

IMHO if you want to wait several months just because of cosmetic changes, you are buying the wrong car. You don't buy the M2 for the blush and the lipstick.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #301
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Do you really think the better resale value will be more than the MY price bump? Pretty much a wash, I think.

IMHO if you want to wait several months just because of cosmetic changes, you are buying the wrong car. You don't buy the M2 for the blush and the lipstick.
I see your point, but the message I try to get across is timing related: if you're in the waiting line sitting so close to a change (July 2017), I'd prefer to get the facelift. Would be different if the facelift happened, say, Summer 2018 instead of Summer 2017. But as I commented before, that's a personal choice.
      03-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #302
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Any official news on the LCI out?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #303
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
I did.

Love the car - seriously love it...it's the nicest thing I have ever owned. The sound and handling are 11s on a 10 point scale.

But it was also my DD...so not very comfortable for long periods of simple highway driving or commuting (fixed suspension, no PASM). I haven't ever tracked it either, which is something that would have made having it as my DD more "worth it" if that makes sense.

I also finally did what you told me NOT to do...drove the F80 ZCP for an extended period of time and then got back in the 981...the car simply needs more power. It is a lot of fun for sure, the F6 is a screaming animal...and I don't regret having it, but the F80 cures all the ills I didn't like about the 235, and some of the more gradual gripes I associated with the 981. I think it's perfect for me, at least for now.

It's also expensive, and the F80 is saving me significantly on a monthly payment basis - there's no doubt that cost and maintenance in the Porsche world are a different kind of animal. I think the 20K mile service was quoted around a grand, so you get the point...

I needed something that was just a tad more usable in everyday situations, and the F80 gives me all of that. I love all the adjust-ability on the throttle, suspension, steering, and viciousness of the shifts - you can really dial it in to the needs of any particular moment. The tech is also much, much better, which I didn't realize I cared about until I got to use it.

All in all, I am really happy. Love this car and always wanted an M3.
Congrats! I went the opposite way but I may come back for an M4 ZCP LCI. I agree with everything you stated in your comparison
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #304
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
But it was also my DD...so not very comfortable for long periods of simple highway driving or commuting (fixed suspension, no PASM). [...] It's also expensive, and the F80 is saving me significantly on a monthly payment basis - there's no doubt that cost and maintenance in the Porsche world are a different kind of animal. I think the 20K mile service was quoted around a grand, so you get the point... [...]
Sorry to hear that your parted ways with your Cayman. I understood that you enjoyed driving it.

I guess that you understand better than us why some P-owners take the - at first glance irrational - decision to sell their Cayman GT4, or no longer use it as daily driver ("a little too Spartan").
      03-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #305
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry to hear that your parted ways with your Cayman. I understood that you enjoyed driving it.

I guess that you understand better than us why some P-owners take the - at first glance irrational - decision to sell their Cayman GT4, or no longer use it as daily driver ("a little too Spartan").
I hope to have something similar in the future again someday, and hopefully additional garage space that I can dedicate to something meant to be driven just for fun, not utility - I do think I got more utility out of it than most who have a 981 (moved my girlfriend's entire closet in it once ), but it was becoming a harder justification exercise as time went along. It's expensive to have a P-car...and I am not yet at the place in life where I can write a check for one...But like I said, my Cayman S was the best car I've ever had, it oozed enormous amounts of character and experience each time you were really able to drive it...and the sound, you just can't get sick of that. Ever.

Just needed something with additional "range", if that makes sense - more of an all-rounder. And a little more comfort - while keeping the experience as sporty as possible. The M3 is perfect for that - and with the adjust-ability available, the range is very broad - you can have a pretty stiff and sporty experience, or one that is pretty smooth and comfortable. It's also wicked fast, which is definitely fun.

Last edited by dmboone25; 03-28-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Artemis29255.50
      03-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #306
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Sorry for the dumb question guys, but am I right in thinking that MY2018 builds start in July?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:25 AM   #307
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Sorry for the dumb question guys, but am I right in thinking that MY2018 builds start in July?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #308
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

My biggest issue with the M2 has always been the interior. Given you spend most of your time in there, you'd hope it would be decent in a $75K (CAD) car. It's pretty bad in the M2 with rental-car level seats. So IMO the interior needs all the help it can get. The LCI will bring some nice tweaks here and improved materials. So I'm waiting.