BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #111
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
This "whole" M2 buying experience has been a disaster...
Why do you say that?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #112
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Why do you say that?
Putting a deposit 4 months before start of production
Waiting for an allocation that took months
Waiting for a production build slot
Potential differential issues on the car

Do you need more?

All that to say, BMW Canada could have done a better job for their communications (tracking system not available for Canadian market)

I really hope the car will meet the expectations, because it will be my first and last BMW.
      08-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #113
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Yes, making the decision to buy the M2 is one of my biggest regrets.

Making payments, can't drive it, no date set now for the repairs.

If I could have backed out of the deal after making the purchase I would have.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #114
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

Why can't you? Technically, the car was never in your possession...
      08-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #115
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta

This has always confused me. Did BMW make you pay at order time? I paid when the car was delivered. Or, did you just close the loan before you found out the car wasn't being delivered, so you're paying on a loan while the money sits in your bank, waiting for you to be able to give it to BMW for the car?
      08-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #116
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
This has always confused me. Did BMW make you pay at order time? I paid when the car was delivered. Or, did you just close the loan before you found out the car wasn't being delivered, so you're paying on a loan while the money sits in your bank, waiting for you to be able to give it to BMW for the car?
What happened was this:

Car was on a truck on the way to the dealer with a set a date for delivery. I had to be away for work during that week and our sales tax was going up in the meantime, so I discussed with the dealer a few options, and since everything was ok at that time, I closed the deal on the car (via BMW FS by the way).

And here we are. Keep in mind I closed the deal on a Saturday, the car was due to dealer Wednesday with pick-up Friday, so it's not like I did this a month or two in advance haha.

And Benzima , since payments were already made, it is "technically" in my possession. Don't get me wrong, I do want the M2 as a car, but given how things have panned out, I doubt I'll still own it come next summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #117
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
What happened was this:

Car was on a truck on the way to the dealer with a set a date for delivery. I had to be away for work during that week and our sales tax was going up in the meantime, so I discussed with the dealer a few options, and since everything was ok at that time, I closed the deal on the car (via BMW FS by the way).

And here we are. Keep in mind I closed the deal on a Saturday, the car was due to dealer Wednesday with pick-up Friday, so it's not like I did this a month or two in advance haha.

And Benzima , since payments were already made, it is "technically" in my possession. Don't get me wrong, I do want the M2 as a car, but given how things have panned out, I doubt I'll still own it come next summer.
Man... Bummer. I figured there was some unusual arrangement. Sorry that happened to you. You'll love the car. Hopefully they'll get it resolved soon.
      08-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #118
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What happened was this:

Can't you consider those payments as a bigger "deposit"?

Just trying to help you out here
      08-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #119
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
What happened was this:

what does still having it by next summer have anything to do with the inconveniences faced now?
They seem to be mutually exclusive in that if you love it, you don't think you will keep it for the next year or so?
Or are you concerned about build quality of the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #120
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
what does still having it by next summer have anything to do with the inconveniences faced now?
They seem to be mutually exclusive in that if you love it, you don't think you will keep it for the next year or so?
Or are you concerned about build quality of the car?
Neither really. If I decide I want to sell the car, I'm going to store it for the winter instead of DD'ing it like I originally planned to.

I'm not making a decision until I drive it for a week or two and see how I feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #121
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i, 6MT, Black

I'm thinking about switching to a M2, but what really bothers me is the electronic driving options - Econ, Comfort, Sport. Why would you need that? Anyway, just curious as to how everyone drives the M2 with these annoying options. As if we don't already have enough life decisions to make, BMW just has to add another.

Cheers All.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #122
jaykoolzboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSHL View Post
I'm thinking about switching to a M2, but what really bothers me is the electronic driving options - Econ, Comfort, Sport. Why would you need that? Anyway, just curious as to how everyone drives the M2 with these annoying options. As if we don't already have enough life decisions to make, BMW just has to add another.

Cheers All.
There is no Econ mode on M2.

It's Comfort, Sports and Sports +
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #123
lx93
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 MT M2

I regret my purchase decision immensely. Too heavy and not engaging enough to be a dedicated sports car, too loud/uncomfortable/firm to be a good daily driver and highway cruiser. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #124
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93 View Post
I regret my purchase decision immensely. Too heavy and not engaging enough to be a dedicated sports car, too loud/uncomfortable/firm to be a good daily driver and highway cruiser. Jack of all trades, master of none.
wow-- interesting.

when you say it's too heavy as a sports car, what are you comparing it to? And not engaging enough?? That's the first review I've heard someone say that.

And as a DD, is it too rough/loud for highway driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #125
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
wow-- interesting.

when you say it's too heavy as a sports car, what are you comparing it to? And not engaging enough?? That's the first review I've heard someone say that.

And as a DD, is it too rough/loud for highway driving?
compare to what I consider real sports cars, such as Porsche 911/Boxster/Cayman, Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora, Subaru BRZ, Mazda Miata. for reference, the M2 weighs the same as a CRV. the car has a really high limit and the chassis doesn't move around at any legal speed. if you want the car to slide/under steer a bit you have to be at reckless driving speed. thus the not engaging comment.

although it's subjective, and it's definitely too loud/too rough for me as a DD. yes you could do it, but it's not as enjoyable as a luxury car such as A4 or C300 which I personally own one
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #126
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93 View Post
compare to what I consider real sports cars, such as Porsche 911/Boxster/Cayman, Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora, Subaru BRZ, Mazda Miata. for reference, the M2 weighs the same as a CRV. the car has a really high limit and the chassis doesn't move around at any legal speed. if you want the car to slide/under steer a bit you have to be at reckless driving speed. thus the not engaging comment.

although it's subjective, and it's definitely too loud/too rough for me as a DD. yes you could do it, but it's not as enjoyable as a luxury car such as A4 or C300 which I personally own one
Most of those comparisons are apples and oranges. Sounds like you accidentally bought a four seater when you meant to buy a two seater.
Appreciate 3
ried791.50
      08-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #127
Shindo
Private
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Most of those comparisons are apples and oranges. Sounds like you accidentally bought a four seater when you meant to buy a two seater.
+1 . The m2 is an amazing car if you need four seats, but if you don't a Cayman is the way to go in every aspect of performance. No comparison. However I personally wouldn't buy a 718, I would get a preowned six cylinder.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
flyaway140.50
      08-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #128
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSHL View Post

Cheers All.
Any car now (including Ferraris, Porsche, Maserati, ...) have these modes now. WHat the problem with it??

Three different modes you can choose only by pressing a botton!

I think sometimes we are too picky!
      08-10-2016, 02:57 AM   #129
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Attached Images

Robin_NL8717.00
RotorOver295.50
      08-10-2016, 03:45 AM   #130
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Lol comparing a M2 to an Elise. This coming from a former Elise owner. What's next buy a Radical SR3 and complain it gets crappy mpg and too loud?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #131
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Some comparisons are just plain dumb. Same goes for the "M2 has too many driving modes" post.
Anyway, this is a thread for "M2 owners to post their regrets" so...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #132
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Lol comparing a M2 to an Elise. This coming from a former Elise owner. What's next buy a Radical SR3 and complain it gets crappy mpg and too loud?
It's easy to hate on BMW these days. Let's be honest, BMW has not made a good car since 2010. They are cheaping out on the interior, losing roots to screaming NA engines, getting more bloat and weight, numbing the driving experience, and pumping out way too many half baked cars to go after every single market niche. What's there to like?

I consider myself a old school traditionalist when it comes to sport cars. Forget the high performance M3, just focus on garden variety 3seriess of the old. Have you driven a 330 e46 generation or a 328 from e92 generation and rev it to redline? The way these motor screams and the driver enjoyment out of these compare to a modern BMW is a clear indication what BMW cares about these days.
Appreciate 0