BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

Let me preface:

I'm selling my 2011 997.2 GTS and have ordered a M2 in LBB/6MT/exec package (and getting a lot of flack for it on the Rennlist forum).

However.......I'm also a new manual driver (the 911's tranny was PDK) and I learned on a pretty tough car-- the WRX.

Getting an appreciation for low end torque on a turbo 4 with a very heavy clutch pedal has been quite the education.

Well I've also learned some things about what I like.......... the WRX is quick, the intake sounds are 'interesting', and AWD is probably going to feel much different than driving a 6MT RWD M2.
I also learned that I love a NA V8 more than any turbo exhaust I've heard, especially the one in the 2016 Camaro SS (motor trend car of the year).

I'm actually kind of torn now on what to do. A part of me wants to scratch the itch for American muscle in either the Camaro SS , or possibly the new ZL1-- which comes out later this year. I've only owned German (Cayman S, Audi S5, BMW X6, and now a 911 GTS).
The Camaro rides so much better on our crappy roads in south Louisiana, and I have some reservations about both the suspension in sport mode on the M2 (from what I read) as well as the turbo 6 on it.
On the plus side, I'm guessing the gear ratios are much shorter with M2 so it's probably fun to drive in a 6MT for those who like to shift frequently ?
I've watched the videos and heard the exhaust but I'm not completely sold on it and wanted people's inputs from exhaust sound, to daily driving, suspension feel, etc......

It won't be a track car for now, but could be as I get better with a 6MT over time.
I'm getting acquainted with rev matching when I downshift and I don't like that the M2 has auto rev matching which can only be disabled with traction control also off. The Camaro SS and ZL1 don't require the latter to be turned off.

I also don't like the lack of sunroof option.

This isn't meant to be a thread to be overly critical of the M2-- I mean I ordered one because I've read the amazing reviews on it and thought I should take the plunge.
I'm just wanting to get people's feedback here who actually have the car, get some comparisons to other cars you all have owned, and see if you had any thoughts on my above observations/concerns.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
mitoda66.50
      08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
jaykoolzboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 GT2

M2 regret = get full MSRP refund at worst.
Appreciate 1
Luv273.00
      08-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoolzboy View Post
M2 regret = get full MSRP refund at worst.
lol -- I've thought about that.

That if I pick it up and somehow think it was a bad idea, I can sell it pretty easily....?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Bigcatkian
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

no regrets here with the performance of the car it definitely feels like it punches above its weight class. The sound was good stock but when I put on a catless downpipe its downright intoxicating now. I might even say the crackles and backfires might be just as loud as an f type The ride on the daily is fair but my only regret is the interior does feel a little cheap id be lying if I said I didn't get a little envy when I hop in an m4 with extended leather but if the Camaro is on your radar a luxury interior isn't your priority
2010 E93 M3 (sold)
2012 Wrx Sti (sold)
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcatkian View Post
no regrets here with the performance of the car it definitely feels like it punches above its weight class. The sound was good stock but when I put on a catless downpipe its downright intoxicating now. I might even say the crackles and backfires might be just as loud as an f type The ride on the daily is fair but my only regret is the interior does feel a little cheap id be lying if I said I didn't get a little envy when I hop in an m4 with extended leather but if the Camaro is on your radar a luxury interior isn't your priority
believe it or not, the Camaro 2SS is very well appointed and has super comfortable seats, much more so than what I've heard with the M2 seats.

The camaro SS compares much more favorably with the M4 than the M2, which I realize.

Here's a video worth watching:

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
lol -- I've thought about that.

That if I pick it up and somehow think it was a bad idea, I can sell it pretty easily....?
Yeah that's the thing. You don't really have to make a choice right now as you can just drive it for 6 months or a year and essentially get all of your money back.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

i would really like to hear from those who went from e9xM to M2.

it would be a choice for me because i'd be selling a well sorted e90M plus the tax $$$ involved.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I'm someone who went from 911's to M cars. Primarily because I like to do track events and the financial liability of an air-cooled motor as a track car (and being mechanically un-inclined) always made me nervous. Plus, your PDK is a $17k part when out of warranty. I was heavily considering a car JUST LIKE YOURS but with manual. I still intend on getting a 997.2 or maybe non-turbo 991 after the M2. This M2, for me made perfect sense. 2016 cars have maintenance, and it's a very nimble and quick car. Not 911 fast, but quick. Can't compare the interior of a 120k car and one that's only 55k but you'll never think the car is expensive from the inside. But it's insanely fun.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #9
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I'm someone who went from 911's to M cars. Primarily because I like to do track events and the financial liability of an air-cooled motor as a track car (and being mechanically un-inclined) always made me nervous. Plus, your PDK is a $17k part when out of warranty. I was heavily considering a car JUST LIKE YOURS but with manual. I still intend on getting a 997.2 or maybe non-turbo 991 after the M2. This M2, for me made perfect sense. 2016 cars have maintenance, and it's a very nimble and quick car. Not 911 fast, but quick. Can't compare the interior of a 120k car and one that's only 55k but you'll never think the car is expensive from the inside. But it's insanely fun.

Good luck
what air cooled 911 did you go from ?
Have you owned any water cooled 911's?
The 997.2 IMHO is the best water cooled 911 ever made and had I bought it in a 6 speed, I would never sell it.

What do you like most about your M2 driving wise? Did you get the 6MT or DCT?
Does it have Any of the jerkiness that the M4 seems to have in the lower gears, because of all that torque and it being a turbo 6?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #10
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Not to hijack a thread, but I didn't feel this is worthy of its own thread, but: does the M2 have side curtain airbags? At a quick glance, I couldn't find any info on the safety features in the M2.

I love me some sporty cars, but I also love me a safe car. (been in three accidents that were not my fault and were pretty much unavoidable in the last three years) I was in a 2011 WRX and was t-boned at a light. 50mph and it was an SUV that hit about where the A-pillar is. Car was a total loss, but I walked out without a scratch. (bruised ribs from the airbags, but it would've been broken ribs without the airbags, and probably a concussion from hitting my head) Those side and curtain airbags essentially saved me.

I already put money down for a wk 37 M2 build, and am not regretting it, but I didn't even consider safety until today. Are these things safe? If not, that would be one regret lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
what air cooled 911 did you go from ?
Have you owned any water cooled 911's?
The 997.2 IMHO is the best water cooled 911 ever made and had I bought it in a 6 speed, I would never sell it.

What do you like most about your M2 driving wise? Did you get the 6MT or DCT?
Does it have Any of the jerkiness that the M4 seems to have in the lower gears, because of all that torque and it being a turbo 6?
No water cooled, yet. agree with you about the 997.2. Last good true 911.
I've owned a couple of SC's, 2 Carreras, an '88 Club Sport, 1/2 of a '92 US Carrera Cup. No 993's.
My M2 is DCT but the car, IMO is designed for a manual. I took what I could get.
It's a fun car and it's perfect in size. Like an E46 M3. I think M4's are a bit big. Mine does not have any power delivery issues. Maybe single turbo? I've driven both the M3 and M4 at the BMW track here in Socal and they seemed great on power. no delays.
Car is nimble, playful and very easy to get used to it's characteristics.
Hates:
Active sound
lack of colors
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 01:46 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I like the FR balance of the M2 way beter than the 997(non GT3) layout. I was looking for a 997 a couple of years ago. But apart from the great 997S engine i didn't like the initial understeer all the normal Elfers have. For trackdays the FR M layout suits me way better and an M2 is just as quick as a 997S or quicker irl.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:44 AM   #13
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Thats a tough call.
Had an E92 M3 that sold to get a 997.2 CS and now have the M2 (DCT).

To me M2 is way better balanced than the M3. Miss the V8 badly but in terms of balance, and how you can use all the power...M2 is clearly ahead to me. I am not a "sideways" guy and I like to place the car where I want, and being able to deliver the power after the apex without having to manage a massive rotation of the car. You can do this in an M2 as it has much more traction than the previous M3. M2 is very well suited also with all the systems ON. With the M3, if you wanted to have real fun, you had to disable all the controls.

Front axle of the M2 is better than the M3 as well so you have at the end more confidence on the chassis.

911 is a different animal. I don't have a GTS (love that car man!) and I am still having the 997.2 CS at home and I feel this car is in a different championship vs the M2. It's massively lower, weights lot less, it has less roll (mine is on B16 Damptronic), and has lot more traction. Front end is not an issue to me on the 997.2 once to get used to stop the car properly ahead. You can be back on the throttle way earlier as well. Really really like the car, engine is great, the natural sound, have tons of confidence...and I can't think on any point where I see M2 "better" (I see M2 as quick as the 997.2 CS) except maybe the DCT vs old PDK and of course the fact of M2 being brand new.

I track the 997.2 several times a year (8 times a year at least), and cruise it as well all over Europe and it's a superb car. GTS is even better for me, more focused, better sound, and more special. Can't think of getting rid of it to get an M2.

M2 to be is best M car out there now if you want have fun with the car, but still a heavy car, seating position is not great to me (very high...and the car is high as well), and there is a real lack of specialness. BMW should have done some extra work to make this car special not only outside but also inside. Everything is SAME as my ex 118d M pack inside.

For me M2 is the perfect daily drive where I can take my family in and bring me some nice feelings anytime (even at low speeds) and get wild if alone, 997.2 to be is a different animal and much more focused (specially yours)

Only good point is that you will cash some money if you sell the GTS and you go for the M2.

I would keep both. Your 911 will be highly valuable in the next years.

Last edited by NachoM; 08-04-2016 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:45 AM   #14
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but I didn't feel this is worthy of its own thread, but: does the M2 have side curtain airbags? At a quick glance, I couldn't find any info on the safety features in the M2.
It's essentially the same car

Back to the original question, I don't have any regrets getting the M2. I looked at several other options (not the Camaro as we don't have it here) and have also owned a wrx years ago.
RWD is just so much more fun than AWD. I found the most fun with the rex was on dirt, not a lot of time is spent on dirt roads.
For me the M2 was the most entertaining package compared with other cars on the market at the moment.
Try the M2 for a few years, if you don't like it try something else, but I don't think you'll have any regrets. It does have the ability to put a smile on your face everyday.
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #15
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I'm interested to see how the 1LE pricing turns out.. should be a GT350 track competitor for significantly less.

However there are things I prefer in the M2.. Euro delivery, ergonomics, Idrive, rarity.. oh yeah and the smaller size. It would be way more confidence inspiring on the street and easy to park too. On an open track you don't notice the size difference as much.

As for the WRX, I like mine.. but I would like it more if it was RWD.. however it is still preferable to its competitors which are FWD. It is very good on rough roads and loose surfaces.

Last edited by ClothSeats; 08-04-2016 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #16
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoM View Post
Thats a tough call.
Had an E92 M3 that sold to get a 997.2 CS and now have the M2 (DCT).

To me M2 is way better balanced than the M3. Miss the V8 badly but in terms of balance, and how you can use all the power...M2 is clearly ahead to me. I am not a "sideways" guy and I like to place the car where I want, and being able to deliver the power after the apex without having to manage a massive rotation of the car. You can do this in an M2 as it has much more traction than the previous M3. M2 is very well suited also with all the systems ON. With the M3, if you wanted to have real fun, you had to disable all the controls.

Front axle of the M2 is better than the M3 as well so you have at the end more confidence on the chassis.

911 is a different animal. I don't have a GTS (love that car man!) and I am still having the 997.2 CS at home and I feel this car is in a different championship vs the M2. It's massively lower, weights lot less, it has less roll (mine is on B16 Damptronic), and has lot more traction. Front end is not an issue to me on the 997.2 once to get used to stop the car properly ahead. You can be back on the throttle way earlier as well. Really really like the car, engine is great, the natural sound, have tons of confidence...and I can't think on any point where I see M2 "better" (I see M2 as quick as the 997.2 CS) except maybe the DCT vs old PDK and of course the fact of M2 being brand new.

I track the 997.2 several times a year (8 times a year at least), and cruise it as well all over Europe and it's a superb car. GTS is even better for me, more focused, better sound, and more special. Can't think of getting rid of it to get an M2.

M2 to be is best M car out there now if you want have fun with the car, but still a heavy car, seating position is not great to me (very high...and the car is high as well), and there is a real lack of specialness. BMW should have done some extra work to make this car special not only outside but also inside. Everything is SAME as my ex 118d M pack inside.

For me M2 is the perfect daily drive where I can take my family in and bring me some nice feelings anytime (even at low speeds) and get wild if alone, 997.2 to be is a different animal and much more focused (specially yours)

Only good point is that you will cash some money if you sell the GTS and you go for the M2.

I would keep both. Your 911 will be highly valuable in the next years.
the value of the 997.2 in the coming years has been discussed quite a bit on the 911 forums.........no clear consensus, but it stands to reason a 997.2 GTS optioned out correctly will definitely not only hold its value, but likely go up in the next 5-10 years.
But optioned out correctly to me means having a coupe instead of a vert and a 6MT instead of PDK.

I've tracked my GTS only once and I'm clearly not a good enough driver to get the most out of that car with its rear engine layout. The M2 and Camaro SS or ZL1 will be 'easier' cars to drive hard, Manual tranny notwithstanding. It's interesting to me you find your C2S more planted ........

Lots of good feedback in your reply. I've thought about keeping the GTS and getting some American muscle (the Camaro) while selling my SUV. That's a less practical option but certainly one that would be more fun
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-04-2016, 05:03 AM   #17
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I'm interested to see how the 1LE pricing turns out.. should be a GT350 track competitor for significantly less.

However there are things I prefer in the M2.. Euro delivery, ergonomics, Idrive, rarity.. oh yeah and the smaller size. It would be way more confidence inspiring on the street and easy to park too. On an open track you don't notice the size difference as much.

As for the WRX, I like mine.. but I would like it more if it was RWD.. however it is still preferable to its competitors which are FWD. It is very good on rough roads and loose surfaces.
I think the ZL1 is going to be the real competitor to the GT350-- reviews are just starting to come out, with more on the way in the next few months.

The WRX is an interesting car-- and surprisingly not too bad on our crappy roads in Lafayette (not too different from you a few hours away in Houston I'm sure).
Being a new manual driver it's a great car to learn on, and forces you into good habits, especially given how heavy the clutch pedal is c/w some other cars I've been in. The shifting isn't super smooth either-- which in many ways is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #18
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I like the FR balance of the M2 way beter than the 997(non GT3) layout. I was looking for a 997 a couple of years ago. But apart from the great 997S engine i didn't like the initial understeer all the normal Elfers have. For trackdays the FR M layout suits me way better and an M2 is just as quick as a 997S or quicker irl.

Cheers
Robin
I think I've seen you post on Rennlist as well-- really appreciate your input given your experience with both. It seems you really like your M2 more than your 997.2, mostly based on engine placement?
I'm surprised to hear about there being more understeer in the 911-- interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #19
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:

I've tracked my GTS only once and I'm clearly not a good enough driver to get the most out of that car with its rear engine layout. The M2 and Camaro SS or ZL1 will be 'easier' cars to drive hard, Manual tranny notwithstanding. It's interesting to me you find your C2S more planted ........
If you find the M2 easier to drive hard than the GTS, I would be surprised. This would also means you have great skills to hande oversteer. I dont have them.

Most of the times, when driving hard, at the end come donw to manage the rear end...which I fint much more eaiser to do on the 911 than on the M2 Have not tracked the M2 yet, but there are things you can feel inmediatelly, and the M2 is much more prompted to break traction than the 911, specially for the car layout...

Maybe its just me and my driving style that I find 997.2 very well balanced, and more easy to push to the limit than previous M cars I have. Managing the front end is not an issue for me, as I had over 10 years 2 BMW Mcoupes, and several FWD cars, so I learnt how to anticipate stop the car maybe more than needed, and use weights to keep the front end tight...and my main concern was always keeping the rear end under controll. I find 911 is way above the M2 in terms of traction (nothing new...I expected this).

Breaking hard also, 911...any time.

But overall, M2 is a fantastic allround car, much more usable than a 911. Having said this, if I would sell my "standard" 997.2 CS...I am sure I would miss it much more than I miss my old M3.
      08-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I think I've seen you post on Rennlist as well-- really appreciate your input given your experience with both. It seems you really like your M2 more than your 997.2, mostly based on engine placement?
I'm surprised to hear about there being more understeer in the 911-- interesting.
I bought an E90 M3 back then instead(kids and stuff you know). On rennlist it's probably a friend of mine, Advevo he had a 997Gt3 Cup about 5 years ago...

The rear engined 911 is designed like that. It's that layout what gives the '911' the speedboat like way of driving. There is 'nothing' up front so to speak, so turn in and give it throttle=basically understeer, unless being patient and /or trailbraking or something like that.

I'm more a frontengine rear wheel drive layout driver, i'm not saying the 911 is wrong, it's just different and not my cup of tea, though you can put a lot more brakebalance to the rear which you cannot with FR layout, all other things being equal. Also superb traction(911) and 'less' lively/playable(vs FR M2 etc) in real life imho.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #21
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

IMO M2 is a big downgrade from a 997.2 GTS both from a performance and refinement standpoint. Unless it's a financial decision there's no way I'd do it. If you want to jump to a BMW I'd get at least a M3/M4 Comp pack.
Appreciate 1
flyaway140.50
      08-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #22
mattiase
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 911 c2s - M2 on order

Very interesting thread since I'll be selling my 997 c2s when my M2 arrive
Appreciate 0