BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 m2 - Very small metal flake in oil

07-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #1
thewhitem2
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

N55 m2 - Very small metal flake in oil

Did oil change on my 2018 M2 with 20k miles on clock. oil that was drained was about 7/8k miles old

I use Fuchs titan pro race 5w-40, upon draining oil I saw a small number of very small flake left over in the container I drained oil into, there was also a small number of very small flake in oil filter.

Car is stage 2, well looked after, always warmed up.

After this I sent off an oil sample for testing and everything came back ok.

I have attached pics of metal and the analysis, I believe the boron level could be from coolant that I had drained into the pan previously

Any Advice? they suspected the material I had seen was ally as it was non magnetic. I want to enjoy the car but I keep seeing horror stories!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Completely normal especially at lower mileage. You also done an oil analysis rest assured it is fine.

I seen these kind of posts on forums and FB groups all the time, a lot of people who don't understand will just meme and attach Part out memes when there is absolutely nothing to worry about (In reality, they just haven't looked at their own filters close enough). I had many cars over the years and some with very high mileage, I've done oil changes on my parent's CRV, Sentra, my own subaru crosstrek, BMW M2 and infiniti G35 and they all had these shiny particles to a certain extent. As long as it doesn't look like a glitter bomb went off it is absolutely normal (Judging from your picture it looks absolutely fine). Think of it this way, car manufacturer penny pinch at every opportunity, if you save even 10 dollars per unit, over thousands of units that is a big savings. A oil filtration system is not cheap, if a car shouldn't any particles in the oil unless it's doomed, why have an oil filtration system in the first place? The point is that it's there for this exact reason, completely normal absolutely nothing to worry about

I also have some journeyman mechanic friends/family. Over their years of experience and understanding of engines, what I put above is also what they told me. The particle you see aren't part of the rotating assembly, it's from other none moving parts in the engine which is exactly what the engine oil filter is designed to capture.

Last edited by Tes; 07-22-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
AmuroRay2315.00
F87source7310.50
      07-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
thewhitem2
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

thanks for the reply man, that puts me at ease!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Completely normal especially at lower mileage. You also done an oil analysis rest assured it is fine.

I seen these kind of posts on forums and FB groups all the time, a lot of people who don't understand will just meme and attach Part out memes when there is absolutely nothing to worry about (In reality, they just haven't looked at their own filters close enough). I had many cars over the years and some with very high mileage, I've done oil changes on my parent's CRV, Sentra, my own subaru crosstrek, BMW M2 and infiniti G35 and they all had these shiny particles to a certain extent. As long as it doesn't look like a glitter bomb went off it is absolutely normal (Judging from your picture it looks absolutely fine). Think of it this way, car manufacturer penny pinch at every opportunity, if you save even 10 dollars per unit, over thousands of units that is a big savings. A oil filtration system is not cheap, if a car shouldn't any particles in the oil unless it's doomed, why have an oil filtration system in the first place? The point is that it's there for this exact reason, completely normal absolutely nothing to worry about

I also have some journeyman mechanic friends/family. Over their years of experience and understanding of engines, what I put above is also what they told me. The particle you see aren't part of the rotating assembly, it's from other none moving parts in the engine which is exactly what the engine oil filter is designed to capture.
+1

It is fine. And like Tes says if it isn't a bunch of metallic dust all over your filter exactly like a glitter "bomb" you are ok.