BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I traded F80 for GT4 and test drove the M2.

04-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #89
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I would be very interested to hear how it compares to a 981 Cayman S or GTS. I wonder...
Me too. Test drove several 981 Caymans last month prior to buying 981 Boxster S. The handling is superior to ANY BMW I've owned or driven - including multiple M4 test drives. And the ride compliance is better! I attribute a little of this to Porsche engineering and a lot of it to weight.

The Porsche is really fun to drive, even around town, given NA motor, awesome exhaust note, fantastic manual transmission, excellent brakes, aforementioned handling, and just overall balance of the package.

I'm contemplating an M2 as a replacement for my 335is coupe...once all the furor dies down. Will have to see how I feel about steering and interior. As much as I like Cayman, I already have a Boxster S so two 981 would feel like overkill.

Last edited by scoale; 04-18-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #90
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Huge downgrade in looks. Needs so many mods to possibly make it look good. I'll wait til the full builds are complete to make my judgment. That back end is terrible though.
comical
What's comical? The back end of it? Then I would agree
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #91
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
except for the fact that the m4 weighs within 30 lbs of this M2 pig.. There is a reason the m4 is 2.5 seconds faster to 100 and 4 seconds faster to 140... and is also faster on the ring.. and super close on short tracks where it can't effectively use its power. The m2 is a pug, The m4 is in a different class. Price no object u would be a fool to get the m2 over the m4... but i hope there are a lot of fools because that means my car will become far more rare.
That being said this sound issue is stupid... i have yet to find ONE person that isn't like "damn" when they hear my car. Not that it matters what others think but this entire m4 sounds bad is ridiculous.

I realize that this is an m2 forum so there is an obvious bias, so I will make an exit here Though if anyone is on the fence and wants to hear an m4 and are in the chicago area please PM me I would be glad to meet up with you!
You are getting really defensive, and it reeks of insecurity. Yes, there is a reason why it is faster on the straights and has a better 'Ring time. It has more horsepower, duh. Now, if we are to believe a German 2er forum, the M2 had a S55 in it for a while, and on the 'Ring it was 8 secs faster.
If the M2 is a pig, what does that make the M4? Especially when the M4 gets beat on 'Ring by the Honda Civic Type R? Your car will not be more rare, because they make more 3 and 4 series than 2 series, and consequently, more M3s and M4s than M2s.

And are you sure that the people who are like "damn" when when they hear your car are not like "damn, that sounds awful!"?
Also, it is not just the M2 forum members that say this, but reviewers, like on Motortrend and others.

Bottomline, the 3 series has grown, and so has the M3, and now it's coupe form, the M4. What made BMW and it's subsequent M cars was the handling and nimbleness of a short wheelbase RWD car, matched to a great engine and great steering feel. The M2's wheelbase, coupled with the M3/M4 suspension along with this Frankenstein engine best exemplifies the hallmarks of what people consider a traditional "M" car. And it does so, apparently better than the M3/M4. The person who stated that the Rosie O'Donnell was given the Kate Upton brand, and people have Rosie and now defend her, like they have Kate, was very much on point.

Furthermore, if you want to be really controversial, the Camaro SS offers about the same performance as an M4, and it sounds great. But, like Reading Rainbow, don't take my word on it.
Appreciate 4
      04-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #92
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
Hi Op, does the seating position bother you...i mean the reposition of the driver seat pointing at the headlights for cost cutting?

When I had the m235i I love the seating position, so much better than my current 4GC
You don't even notice it.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #93
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam
m2 is a downgrade from an m3/m4. still think it's looks ugly as hell. everyone has their own opinions though
Huge downgrade in looks. Needs so many mods to possibly make it look good. I'll wait til the full builds are complete to make my judgment. That back end is terrible though.
That's your opinion. I disagree.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #94
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
You are getting really defensive, and it reeks of insecurity. Yes, there is a reason why it is faster on the straights and has a better 'Ring time. It has more horsepower, duh. Now, if we are to believe a German 2er forum, the M2 had a S55 in it for a while, and on the 'Ring it was 8 secs faster.
If the M2 is a pig, what does that make the M4? Especially when the M4 gets beat on 'Ring by the Honda Civic Type R? Your car will not be more rare, because they make more 3 and 4 series than 2 series, and consequently, more M3s and M4s than M2s.

And are you sure that the people who are like "damn" when when they hear your car are not like "damn, that sounds awful!"?
Also, it is not just the M2 forum members that say this, but reviewers, like on Motortrend and others.

Bottomline, the 3 series has grown, and so has the M3, and now it's coupe form, the M4. What made BMW and it's subsequent M cars was the handling and nimbleness of a short wheelbase RWD car, matched to a great engine and great steering feel. The M2's wheelbase, coupled with the M3/M4 suspension along with this Frankenstein engine best exemplifies the hallmarks of what people consider a traditional "M" car. And it does so, apparently better than the M3/M4. The person who stated that the Rosie O'Donnell was given the Kate Upton brand, and people have Rosie and now defend her, like they have Kate, was very much on point.

Furthermore, if you want to be really controversial, the Camaro SS offers about the same performance as an M4, and it sounds great. But, like Reading Rainbow, don't take my word on it.
To be fair, the Civic Type R was a pre-production car with no air conditioning, no radio, no passenger seat, an otherwise stripped interior, and special tires (Honda didn't confirm which tires were used from any of the articles I've read). It's not really fair to compare it to a production car and if you took the same measures on either the M4 or M2 and stuck R Comp tires on them then they would both be faster than the Type R.
      04-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #95
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR
Quote:
Quote:
m2 is a downgrade from an m3/m4. still think it's looks ugly as hell. everyone has their own opinions though
Black
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #96
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
If the M2 is a pig, what does that make the M4? Especially when the M4 gets beat on 'Ring by the Honda Civic Type R? Your car when not be more rare, because they make more 3 and 4 series than 2 series, and consequently, more M3s and M4s than M2s.

yawn... a superior engine with more horsepower and same weight makes it FASTER period.. it even weighs almost the same! "frankenstein engine"? its simply a cost cutting measure! The short wheelbase makes it seem more nimble, thats all. Similar argument with the 135 and 335.. i know because i had a 135!

No insecurity here at all actually, I call a spade a spade.. there is simply some Koolaid being drunk LOL @ the m4 being rosie as its much much much better looking than the m2 from every possible angle.

Finally, you can hide behind ur internet screen and type insults about my car sounding awful, I'm sure ur IS sounds the part.

Enjoy your cars in good health friends.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #97
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Black
Stunning!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #98
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Black
Damn! BSM clean in the sun is no joke

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #99
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I'd say the vast majority of those in the market for a M2 have heard and test-driven a M4. But the really funny thing is that all of the m4 owners who claim the M4 exhaust is just as good or better sounding than the M2 have definitely not heard a M2, considering there are maybe 100 in the US right now.

Not only have I driven multiple M4s, but the M4 was $100 a month cheaper for me to lease.

Still got the M2. It's that good. And sure, you can say things like looks, driving dynamics, sound, and fun factor are subjective - you're right. I'm sure there's a guy out there somewhere who genuinely prefers Rosie O'Donnell to Kate Upton. But don't pretend that most guys do

except for the fact that the m4 weighs within 30 lbs of this M2 pig.. There is a reason the m4 is 2.5 seconds faster to 100 and 4 seconds faster to 140... and is also faster on the ring.. and super close on short tracks where it can't effectively use its power. The m2 is a pug, The m4 is in a different class. Price no object u would be a fool to get the m2 over the m4... but i hope there are a lot of fools because that means my car will become far more rare.
That being said this sound issue is stupid... i have yet to find ONE person that isn't like "damn" when they hear my car. Not that it matters what others think but this entire m4 sounds bad is ridiculous.

I realize that this is an m2 forum so there is an obvious bias, so I will make an exit here Though if anyone is on the fence and wants to hear an m4 and are in the chicago area please PM me I would be glad to meet up with you!
The M4 manual sounds way better than DCT, by the way. I had the F80 DCT, it didn't sound very good. I have an M5 and X5M now, V8 TT wins the sound department (current M, I know the V10 sounded best).

I agree with you on the weight (not much difference between the M2 and M4), but I think the M2 crowd likes the shorter wheel base and E46 like feel. For track, the M2 is a better car if the interior is stripped for weight reduction. Racing Parts would be cheaper for the M2 than the M4, as more would be made.

After seeing the M2 in person, it looks much better than photos. However, I would never take an M2 over an M4 for street driving if the price is only $5k apart. M4 wins in look, luxury, and performance. The M4 bucket seats alone is worth the $5k.

Once the M2 pick up production and the price drop, the choice would be easier.
      04-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #100
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

I still can't get used to the styling of the back of the m2 even the 1m wasn't the best but appreciate everything else about it.. The m4 has the better styling and better quality interior IMO...
I'll stick to my e92 SC M3 for now with only 11,500 miles , still drives like new
      04-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #101
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Black
Best angles on the car IMO. I dread maintaining black cars, but that's one slick beast.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #102
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Dude, I mean this in the nicest way possible, you are out of your mind

I have been lurking here for months reading about M2 updates / user reviews and I cannot help comment on what a double barreled shit shotgun loaded with m2 propaganda you are just firing all over the place. For god sake you are the least objective, most bias user I have ever encountered on these boards it is quite irritating reading your posts.
LOL that's so funny.

But what about IEDEI ?
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #103
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
Thats a good point, but can you name a single review that stated the M3/4 was the better handling car or that that they were more fun to drive?
To be fair, there aren't a lot of people reviewing the M3/4 right now and writing about how it feels compared to the M2 or any other car. The vast majority are writing about the M2, the sheer volume of praise means it's easy to find quotes where people say they like it over the M3 or M4. A tiny fraction of those might really be a back to back shootout, while others may just have had 30 minutes with the M4 a year ago.

There's a term for the kind of bias you get when you prefer the thing you experienced last, it escapes me, but there is such a thing. Researchers give reviewers identical samples and they tend to say the last was best if they enjoyed the subject, or they say the last was worst if they disliked it.

For me, I'm eyeing both the M4 and M2. I just can't get over the horrid 2 series rear end, though. Something is just wrong with the trunk lid and lights. The trunk looks like it wants to open above the license plate, and the lights are small and oddly shaped. I doubt I'd track either one and I'm sure they'd both be fun to drive.

Last edited by sor; 04-18-2016 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #104
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Black
WoW

Sinister. That car absolutely DEMANDS attention
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #105
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
I have owned last 3 generations of M3, an M Roadster and recently Z4 35is. Current daily is 2014 X5 35i. Was all set to buy an M4 or perhaps the M2 once I saw all the specs and reviews. Well last Friday picked up my Shelby GT 350, and after just tooling around for 70 miles, this thing blows them all away!! The sound in sport mode is worth the price of admission. I got it locally, they got 2 cars for 2016, and charged me $2500 over sticker, which was reasonable. For 58k this is a steal!!
There was one of those out at High Plains Raceway about a month ago. He'd put Hoosierdaddies on it, and he knew how to drive.

O. M. F. G. That thing is *fast*. And it sounds incredible. The only place I could gain a hair on him was through turn 7, as that's the turn where aero buys you the most.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #106
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have test driven the M2 twice. Love it. I like my M3, not sure I love it. Just feels too big. The M2 has less turbo lag, feels more nimble, better steering feel, and for me the seats are better. I have back issues and it reminds me of my e92 seats and 335 seats that I loved. The M3 is definitely faster in a straight line and has 4 doors, better audio, nicer looking interior, nice looking exterior, and so on. But I think I would have more fun playing in the M2. And I have another car that is plenty fast.
      04-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #107
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
I have been lurking here for months reading about M2 updates / user reviews and I cannot help comment on what a double barreled shit shotgun loaded with m2 propaganda you are just firing all over the place. For god sake you are the least objective, most bias user I have ever encountered on these boards it is quite irritating reading your posts.
Oh really? That's funny, because I'm always saying that both cars are great and have their pros and cons. I'm not the one denying one side completely and being completely blind.

Come on, man. Fan of both cars.

My point is always 'there are reasons to get each car over the other', so I'm not sure why you've got to be a huge dick about it. The guy was literally calling ANYONE who had different views than him a fool, and you attack me?

Let it all out dude, jesus christ.

Soon.

Last edited by Adem1534; 04-18-2016 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #108
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Black
You can make it any color you want. That rear looks like a Nissan. You 2 series guys get real defensive - I am a fan of what the M2 can do and was annoyed that my M3 couldn't get the power down. The M2 really fits the mold but in all honesty I don't buy cars for ring times. I buy car for the complete package...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #109
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Black
You can make it any color you want. That rear looks like a Nissan. You 2 series guys get real defensive - I am a fan of what the M2 can do and was annoyed that my M3 couldn't get the power down. The M2 really fits the mold but in all honesty I don't buy cars for ring times. I buy car for the complete package...
Again that's your opinion. I had an e92 m3, I've driven an M4, was about to buy one and decided to go for the M2 as I prefer it. I have no hate against either car lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #110
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

nice review.!