BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ODB ECU Stage 2 Tune comparison

02-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Lightbulb ODB ECU Stage 2 Tune comparison

I know there are several threads on this subject.
But I still find it so hard to decide what tune to go for.
Is it possible to create this thread for posting dyno results together with pros & cons for each? I live in northern Europe so I need availability here.
I use 200cel (Fabspeed) Downpipe and will soon mount my CSF IC. So that is the hardware setup I´m interested in. Or similar with other brands of course.
I'd like to see facts...
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
DrRay81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS Frozen White

I'm also in the same boat as you and am waiting on my CSF IC and hopefully by the end of the summer the AA TBE and then tune. I've been watching the threads and some tunes have more power than others but the N55 seems to be limited by fuel and proper cooling, and to a lesser extent the turbo. So far I like the AA tune as it seems the guys in florida have a solid trackable tune in florida heat. Although it might be the lowest peak numbers but have numbers that are consistent run to run, the others have higher peak numbers but run after run they may be inconsistent, as they probably are a bit more aggressive.

i believe the flash tunes available are:
-Active Autowerke
-VF Engineering HEX tune
-Protuning Freaks BM3
-MHD
2017 F87 M2 BSM DCT, Executive, IND Cosmetic package (painted front reflectors, black grills, black badge, accexxon rear reflectors), IND floor mats, Mode Carbon Rear Spoiler, Dinan Resonator Delete, CTS Intake, Eibach Pro kit
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray101381 View Post
I'm also in the same boat as you and am waiting on my CSF IC and hopefully by the end of the summer the AA TBE and then tune. I've been watching the threads and some tunes have more power than others but the N55 seems to be limited by fuel and proper cooling, and to a lesser extent the turbo. So far I like the AA tune as it seems the guys in florida have a solid trackable tune in florida heat. Although it might be the lowest peak numbers but have numbers that are consistent run to run, the others have higher peak numbers but run after run they may be inconsistent, as they probably are a bit more aggressive.

i believe the flash tunes available are:
-Active Autowerke
-VF Engineering HEX tune
-Protuning Freaks BM3
-MHD
I'm also looking at Evolve:
https://www.evolveautomotive.com/evo...mw-f87-m2.html
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Here's my build:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437086

Get BM3 (bootmod3), best tune for the money and most features regardless if you'll use them or not. Flash and go! Or get a tune tailored to your needs...you decide! Both options available to you from the get go...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:41 AM   #5
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3 or MHD. OBD2 flash capabilities as well as offering OTS maps for various mods and octane. Both can get you a custom map if that’s what you want to.

BM3 is more advanced on the feature side of things just now, maybe MHD will catch up in time.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
BM3 or MHD. OBD2 flash capabilities as well as offering OTS maps for various mods and octane. Both can get you a custom map if that’s what you want to.

BM3 is more advanced on the feature side of things just now, maybe MHD will catch up in time.
I'm being harsh with facts here.

Features aside, BM3 is way ahead tuning front, most importantly. MHD is still trying to figure out a running right OTS at this point. Unless you have a good tuner of course, in which case platform as a map delivering system doesn't matter.
      02-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

VFE / Hex tuning, Plug & Play, drive away!

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

Features aside, BM3 is way ahead tuning front, most importantly. MHD is still trying to figure out a running right OTS at this point. Unless you have a good tuner of course, in which case platform as a map delivering system doesn't matter.
Fair point, for the moment at least. MHD is new to the F-series N55 platform. That said, they own the E-series N54 and N55 segments, so I'm betting they'll be up to speed sooner rather than later. I will say it's great that consumers have multiple competing options -- there's something for everyone, and everyone wins.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
Is it possible to create this thread for posting dyno results together with pros & cons for each?

We can kick things off for you with some dyno plots:

Keep in mind that the focus should be on "delta" gains, as well as
"area under the curve" instead of just "peak power". If anyone here
would like to learn more about how to properly interpret dyno results
you can click through to our TWO Dynos - HEX Tuningthread. (click link to jump)

Software Level: HEX Tuning Stage ONE
Additional Mods: None
Fuel Level: 91 Octane

Software Level: HEX Tuning Stage TWO
Additional Mods: ER Downpipes / Stock Cat-Back
Fuel Level: 91 Octane

Additionally you'll want to take the results of dyno plots that do not
display a baseline run with a grain of salt. Not having a true "before"
value for comparisons purposes means that there is no context for
the "after" results.

The BMW M2 is a particularly difficult platform to tune for consistent
and reliable gains as BMW has already done a tremendous job right
out of the box. There are limitations within the factory fueling system
as well as the optimal rotational speeds of the stock turbos.

Rather that starting with a peak power target in mind, our tuning
strategy for the M2 was to focus on where these limitations are at
and to tune within a reasonable margin for error in regards to the
wide variety of conditional changes that customers may experience
during daily driving, spirited runs, or track day use.

Appreciate 1
RedCarrot230.50
      02-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I appreciate your opinions, but my hope was to see some real facts and be able to compare. For example Dyno, 100-200 etc.
I think 100-200 is a good measure if conditions like temp and height over sea etc. are known.
Actually I'm not so interested in a lot of features. I want a ODB remap that is super reliable and with good performance. As low risk as possible of problems.
I will not change config often, but would like to easily change to original when I like.

Last edited by aerobat; 02-20-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I actually missed the post from VF-Engineering when I wrote my last post.
Thanks VF!

You don't have 100-200?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

+1 aerobat , I would also like to see real numbers, I'm interested in 100-200km/h, many companies will not publish their numbers, HC performance stage 2 (intercooler and sportcat) on 91 Oct 100-200km/h 8,9, that I see in Instagram
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #13
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I appreciate your opinions, but my hope was to see some real facts and be able to compare. For example Dyno, 100-200 etc.
I think 100-200 is a good measure if conditions like temp and height over sea etc.
Actually I'm not so interested in a lot of features. I want a ODB remap that is super reliable and with good performance. As low risk as possible of problems.
I will not change config often, but would like to easily change to original when I like.

A dynamometer is meant to give you a measurement of power output.

A chassis dyno measures power at the wheels,...
...while an engine dyno measures power at the flywheel.

When you make mention to "100-200", is that a reference to km/h?
That means you're looking for acceleration testing, most likely by way
of GPS with a VBox, Dragy, or similar device.

I can try and find some results from previous testing.
The reason most manufacturers don't post those sorts of
performance results is because it's not solely an indicator
of power, but also vehicle set-up and testing conditions.

We love seeing those numbers as well, but typically when
they are posted by users who are enjoying our products in
safe environments.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #14
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

True, MHD is still in beta. Although we can’t deny the 100-200 times which are mighty impressive. Barely seen any 100-200 times for the n55 and bm3 which puts me off. Dynos are cool but I don’t trust them as a measure of performance, especially when you start looking at results from different continents.

Quote:
I think 100-200 is a good measure if conditions like temp and height over sea etc. are known.
Here’s some 100-200kph results from MHD.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1466943

I’m trying to make the same decision as yourself but going to hold off a little longer to see how things develop. For me it’s either BM3 or MHD.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for AA tune ... Their OTS maps offer amazing power and are very reliable and issue free.
You wont need to pay anyone extra money for a custom maps, it also has all the needed features (burble tune, cold start delete, DP code delete, speed limiter delete,etc...).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50