05-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Sport Plus

I love it! That is all....

Haha. In all seriousness, I was playing around with the modes today on my backroads run and I'm amazed how much "smoother" Sport Plus is than Sport. Sport feels more "clunky" if you will. I love the throttle response in Sport plus and feel as if my shifts are so much smoother than Sport. This is the first car where I have "modes" as I've come from E46 M3's and they only had DSC off and Sport Mode. I'm wondering what other's impressions are....

Last edited by MTHRAR; 05-20-2016 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post

Haha. In all seriousness, I was playing around with the modes today on my backroads run and I'm amazed how much "smoother" Sport Plus is than Sport. Sport feels more "clunky" if you will. I love the throttle response in Sport plus and feel as if my shifts are so much smoother than Sport. This is the first car where I have "modes" as I've come from E46 M3's and they only had DSC off and Sport Mode. I'm wondering what other's impressions are....
I only drive in sport plus. Turn it on as soon as I start the car...everytime!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 5
      05-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post

I agree, sport plus is to aggresive on the gear change. Feels like its to hard on the car.
I installed a accelerator module i had hanging arond and now I use "Sport" It now has much better throttle response and smoother gearchanges.

I enjoy driving much more now
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
I agree, sport plus is to aggresive on the gear change. Feels like its to hard on the car.
I installed a accelerator module i had hanging arond and now I use "Sport" It now has much better throttle response and smoother gearchanges.

I enjoy driving much more now
Please don't tell me there is poor throttle response/lag on the M2, the one thing i hated with a passion was the throttle delay, especially at low speeds on my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
San79y
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2

I had a proper go with Sport+ last night as I am in the run in period so don't really use it. I was short shifting to keep the revs down and stop it red lining itself. The gear changes are absolutely brutal! On hard acceleration, they break the traction on the rear wheels every time even on a dry road! You can feel that millisecond of slip. Too aggressive for normal driving but still awesome when you want it.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by San79y View Post
I had a proper go with Sport+ last night as I am in the run in period so don't really use it. I was short shifting to keep the revs down and stop it red lining itself. The gear changes are absolutely brutal! On hard acceleration, they break the traction on the rear wheels every time even on a dry road! You can feel that millisecond of slip. Too aggressive for normal driving but still awesome when you want it.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH me want me want me want.

Have to wait until monday when I'm going to pick it/her(?) up! Nice reason for getting really drunk this weekend. And the Boomtown Rats/Geldof weren't always right... I like mondays(sometimes)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Please don't tell me there is poor throttle response/lag on the M2, the one thing i hated with a passion was the throttle delay, especially at low speeds on my 135i.
No throttle response is quite good, and is particularly good at low speeds, and is lag free.

If anything the throttle travel was quite long and very progressive.

I prefer the extra sensitivity that e-drive offers. This shortens the travel to approx half, setting dependant. Totally changed the feel of the car for me, and now feels as fast as it really is.

Do you get your car today ?

Last edited by koastal; 05-26-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
No throttle response is quite good, and is particularly good at low speeds, and is lag free.

If anything the throttle travel was quite long and very progressive.

I prefer the extra sensitivity that e-drive offers. This shortens the travel to approx half, setting dependant. Totally changed the feel of the car for me, and now feels as fast as it really is.

Do you get your car today ?
Phew, had me worried for a sec.

Pick it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
No lag for sure. Twin Scroll + a turbo on the smaller side is great for quick spooling...But two exhaust impellers = heat soak x's two...If we want to break 450whp I think no i/c, meth, e85, etc are going to do the trick...Turbo upgrades are going to be a must for those of us who want to make serious power...

I am getting my car dyno'd and tuned by probably the best, tuner in the country weds, thursday who is using my car to make a better tune that will be avail to all of you soon...He is going to shed a lot of light on the subject and I will start a post and share with you all...His current "guestimate" is 450whp, 450+ lbs/ft tq.. Only mod is a VRSF 4" DP. And I will be running a JB4 along side the calibration. I will be very impressed if he pulls it off...

Im thinking 410-420 whp on 30% e-85. Well see...
      05-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power
No lag for sure. Twin Scroll + a turbo on the smaller side is great for quick spooling...But two exhaust impellers = heat soak x's two...If we want to break 450whp I think no i/c, meth, e85, etc are going to do the trick...Turbo upgrades are going to be a must for those of us who want to make serious power...

I am getting my car dyno'd and tuned by probably the best, tuner in the country weds, thursday who is using my car to make a better tune that will be avail to all of you soon...He is going to shed a lot of light on the subject and I will start a post and share with you all...His current "guestimate" is 450whp, 450+ lbs/ft tq.. Only mod is a VRSF 4" DP. And I will be running a JB4 along side the calibration. I will be very impressed if he pulls it off...

There is only one exhaust impeller on a twin scroll. All a twin scroll has different is two passages for the exhaust instead of one timed to the exhaust pulses. The impeller may be a little different but still only one.
      05-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
It feels like a normally aspirated 6L V8. This engine is amazing.
Appreciate 4
      05-30-2016, 01:46 AM   #12
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

This is more of a testament to the N55 engine. The turbo boost isn't that high on the car so it blends real good and makes it feel very linear. It's great!!

Couldn't be happier with the car.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
This is more of a testament to the N55 engine. The turbo boost isn't that high on the car so it blends real good and makes it feel very linear. It's great!!

Couldn't be happier with the car.
No kidding. I'm trying to rack up the miles so I can actually open it up. It still makes amazing power at low RPM and pulls very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just FYI...I discovered by accident that ASD is MUCH louder in Sport +...

After installing my stereo. 2400w's going to a single 12" P3 sub...I thought it sounded great and was incredibly happy until I attempted to pull out of my driveway. The amplifier, amplifies the ASD and apparently a lot of the ASD "Fake sounds" are low frequency, My sub almost blew...AFter some fine tuning of setting on my filters and processors and an on/off amp toggle switch I have to get a harness to deactivate ASD before I can really bump while driving...

BUT, in comfort mode ASD is less than 1/2 the volume...

Just throwing it out there, a fact that none of us would know without really amplifying the OEM sound by 2400w lol.
      05-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
Just FYI...I discovered by accident that ASD is MUCH louder in Sport +...

After installing my stereo. 2400w's going to a single 12" P3 sub...I thought it sounded great and was incredibly happy until I attempted to pull out of my driveway. The amplifier, amplifies the ASD and apparently a lot of the ASD "Fake sounds" are low frequency, My sub almost blew...AFter some fine tuning of setting on my filters and processors and an on/off amp toggle switch I have to get a harness to deactivate ASD before I can really bump while driving...

BUT, in comfort mode ASD is less than 1/2 the volume...

Just throwing it out there, a fact that none of us would know without really amplifying the OEM sound by 2400w lol.
Can't remember where I saw it (prolly the huge thread on the 2er site) but this is a known issue and is precisely why I went ahead and ordered the bypass harness. I would also like to get a proper amp and sub and knew this was going to be a legit problem.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Need to read this thread what others might think but here goes:

I only have my car for a bit more than a week, so yesterdayevening(that's about 12 hours ago) I went for a ride and wanted to figure out more things in the iDrive menu and the difference between Sport and Sport+

AFAIK and what I felt was only a more jerky engagement of the clutch when shifting manually (DCT) , but the steering was still the same? Anybody?

There wasn't even some tyreslip like the 1M did when in MDM.(Where can I find that MDM parameter, there is no button or is it the push once DSC off button?)
Could have been the superdry asphalt and PSS but I also think it was more the angles and other parameters the car was computing why it didn't step out.

With the stuff totally OFF it writes down two nice black stripes on the asphalt(2500-4500 in 2nd gear) so I was happy the LSD is functioning well.

But I still don't really get the Sport/Sport + difference. If I don't want the jerky shifting I better stay in Sport?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #17
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Need to read this thread what others might think but here goes:

I only have my car for a bit more than a week, so yesterdayevening(that's about 12 hours ago) I went for a ride and wanted to figure out more things in the iDrive menu and the difference between Sport and Sport+

AFAIK and what I felt was only a more jerky engagement of the clutch when shifting manually (DCT) , but the steering was still the same? Anybody?

There wasn't even some tyreslip like the 1M did when in MDM.(Where can I find that MDM parameter, there is no button or is it the push once DSC off button?)
Could have been the superdry asphalt and PSS but I also think it was more the angles and other parameters the car was computing why it didn't step out.

With the stuff totally OFF it writes down two nice black stripes on the asphalt(2500-4500 in 2nd gear) so I was happy the LSD is functioning well.

But I still don't really get the Sport/Sport + difference. If I don't want the jerky shifting I better stay in Sport?

Cheers
Robin
Yes, mdm is activated either automatically in sport+ or by hitting dsc off button once, it will say "traction" in the instrument cluster.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Can't remember where I saw it (prolly the huge thread on the 2er site) but this is a known issue and is precisely why I went ahead and ordered the bypass harness. I would also like to get a proper amp and sub and knew this was going to be a legit problem.
If /when u get a sub...Let me STRONGLY recommend instead of a cheap LOC, get rhe Audio Control LCi2. It matches our cars (Black and Blue) and restores any lost sound quality due to the stock deck. Also the Hifonics BX10. Also Blue and black and between the two you sub/subs will sound better than if u had an after market head unit...as opposed to much worse...

Beware...The AC LCi2 is also a line driver and will increase power to your amp making your amp more powerful than advertised. but Im also over powered.
Attached Images

06-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post

My VRSF downpipe is coming in soon. How do you like it?

Also, how are you avoiding the check engine light? I hope I ordered the right O2 sim. It is a small black cube with a Cat (the animal) logo on it. It was 100 bucks. I hope that was the right one?

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I don't have my M2 as yet but I do drive in sport+ only in my current car. Get in push start switch to sport+
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Yes, mdm is activated either automatically in sport+ or by hitting dsc off button once, it will say "traction" in the instrument cluster.
But when you are in Sport and hit the dsc off button once (to activate MDM) then it will say indeed "traction" but you are also swithed back to comfort mode (you can hear and feel this). I could NOT activate MDM in sport! I like the M-DCT shift the most in sport...but I would also like to have the possibility to activate MDM in this setting. I hate the way to aggressive shifting in Sport +.
      06-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I don't have my M2 as yet but I do drive in sport+ only in my current car. Get in push start switch to sport+
I don't like Sport+ on the M2. The throttle feels artificially sensitive, as if they're trying to get you all amped up by making you feel the engine has more power than it really has. It reminds me of GM cars back in the 80s, where the first 1/4 of pedal travel gives you about 2/3 of the real throttle.

Particularly on a track, I felt that it worked against me. Trying to neutral throttle, particularly through a decreasing radius turn, was an exercise in frustration.

Also, the DCT doesn't seem to shift appreciably faster than in Sport, it just felt like they programmed it to dump the clutch harder.

Consider the fact that when you want to get serious, and you turn all the safety junk off, the throttle and DCT calibrations are in Sport mode, not Sport+. I find the car very easy to drive in that mode, and that's how I run most of the time.
Appreciate 0