BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > MY2017 - should we expect a power increase?

05-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #45
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

If I had ordered an M2 I too would have an issue with BMW's marketing strategy.

M cars should have a bigger dick and stronger performance than their same platform siblings but the M240i contradicted that conception.

It doesn't really matter if the M2 runs a faster lap time as most owners will not track their cars. They care about performance on the street as well as on paper performance advantage for bragging rights.

Now in the real world where an M240i with the 8 speed auto can actually run with an M2 DCT or even pulled an M2 6sp then the M2 owner won't feel so good, will he?

To make it worst the M240i has a better engine. Closed deck design for more rigidity. Air to water intercooler for reduced lag and a bigger turbo for potentially greater tuning ability...

BMW definitely should have given the M2 at least this engine. If it has the M3/M4 engine I would definitely have ordered one.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 04:13 AM   #46
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

M cars should have a bigger dick and stronger performance than their same platform siblings but the M240i contradicted that conception.

It doesn't really matter if the M2 runs a faster lap time as most owners will not track their cars. They care about performance on the street as well as on paper performance advantage for bragging rights.

Now in the real world where an M240i with the 8 speed auto can actually run with an M2 DCT or even pulled an M2 6sp then the M2 owner won't feel so good, will he?

To make it worst the M240i has a better engine. Closed deck design for more rigidity. Air to water intercooler for reduced lag and a bigger turbo for potentially greater tuning ability...

BMW definitely should have given the M2 at least this engine. If it has the M3/M4 engine I would definitely have ordered one.
Fortunately, I don't care about the clearly miniscule genitalia of people who have this point of view. Personally I have f**king had it with people trying to turn M cars into luxurious Dodge f**king Hellcats to cover up their inadequacies. Every generation BMW listen to this crap and move their cars closer to 1000hp death stars with as much handling and feedback as a Nissan Tiida. I know it's impolite but I just don't care anymore. Only two kinds of people buy BMWs, a diminishing population of people who love, love love driving and an ever increasing coterie of brand-whores and camp followers who care more about what other people think of their car than how it makes them feel.

I will be just fine if some idiot in an M240i 'beats' me at the lights (are we 12 in here? Serious with this?) because life is not about what other people think of you and your choices. It's tough to understand for some people, but sooner or later, every man (or lady) learns this and that's when their life truly starts. Sooner the better.

Man I am sorry as hell to have a go at you, but I'm just done with this little boy, my G.I. Joes are cooler than yours attitude. Please try and take it as a criticism of the mindset, rather than you as a person, who will only grow once you learn to stop caring so much about what other people think.

Last edited by ilovewagons; 05-18-2016 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 8
      05-18-2016, 05:36 AM   #47
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I always like reading when people complain about an open deck block. If you've actually built a motor you'd know the piston/rods will fail long before the cylinder walls start to flex from lack of support.

You can sleeve an open deck block and run insane amounts of power as long as the tune is solid.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #48
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

Worst post I ever read of a fellow 1M owner. Sorry mate if you think like this.

Cheers anyway
Robin
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #49
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Its fine if you have a different belief and expectations in what an M car should be. 1M owner or not.

After all I am not paying for your car and vice versa.

I am simply raising a concern with the choice of engine being used in the M2 given the engine used in the M240i.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #50
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Its fine if you have a different belief and expectations in what an M car should be. 1M owner or not.

I am simply raising a concern with the choice of engine being used in the M2 given the engine used in the M240i.
I remember 2006/2007 when both 335i N54 and E90/92 M3 came out. I owned both back in the days.

The 335i was (almost) just as fast and sometimes faster in normal real life situations...

Is this a good analogy you think?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #51
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man

I think there is always a problem, when *we* the public, feel * we* are the ones who should be deciding what an M car is, or when we let our own expectations of what we think an M car is, override the TRUTH.

There is only one " decider " and that is BMW M. I'm not sure why YOU think the M2 " isn't M enough " , but I can assure you it was the same group of engineers that declared the 1M an M car as well.

Many people insisted the 1M " was not an true M car ", and they are wrong. I agree with @Robin NL, I am surprised to see a 1M owner be a doubting Thomas about the M2.

I've driven the M2, and it has the same DNA as our 1M, and it's much quicker , although it is softer in nearly every tactile way, and it does not have the soul the 1M has. However, It is absolutely an M car and will be nearly as coveted as the 1M in time.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
It's perfectly positioned as a loss leader.

customers see the M2 sizzle and come in the door and find that the M2 is unavailable, selling at MSRP and one must wait weeks or months.

The sell-down vehicle is the M240.
The sell-up vehicle is the M4.
The step- off vehicle is the M3 ( 4 doors ).

All three of these vehicles there is no doubt are more profitable for BMW than selling an M2.

If you think the M2 is oddly placed, what is the Cayman GT4?

Sell down to GTS and S
Sell up to 911
Step off - Macan -
Anyone that's looking for an M2 isn't going to just toss in the towel and settle for an M240i. Sure, there will be some, but they'll be the minority. Even if the M2 is selling at MSRP the M4 is still $14k more, that's a huge leap that many cannot or do not want to make. I for one am someone who want's to get into an M2, but after months of unsuccessfully trying have given up. I had multiple deposits down with dealers in multiple surrounding states and got nowhere. I've given up for now, but the last thing I want is an M235i or even the M240i and I don't want an M4 (even though I could afford it). So here's the fourth option as the loss leader... I'm now looking at other cars from other manufacturers. I have time and can wait until next year so I haven't given up on an M2 yet, but if I'm still not successful by that time my next car will not be a BMW.
Thanks for your reply.

If you don't think that M2 buyers are *dropping like flies * then you perhaps should stop and take a look around. Perhaps check the pricing and ordering threads.

There is a poll on these forums that indicates that over 50 percent of people that want an M2 that cannot get one will get either an M235/M3/M4. 33 percent of those buyers will go get a Porsche, which I presume you are threatening to do. If not a Porsche, then all other marques combined make up the last 17 percent.

I'll try and find the poll and add it here for you so that you can vote. In the meantime , again, if you don't think many many rabid M2 fans are leaving for the more expensive M4, check out the lease rates for an M4, or consider European deliver and/or go negotiate your best deal on an M4 and you will start to see ...

because of all the profit margin available in the M3 and M4, there are very hefty discounts available, and many buyers - including rabid bimmerpost fans - are dropping out of their bid for an M2.

I hope that you keep fighting the fight and get an M2, as you have seen thus far it isn't an easy car to get , but I doubt you will be disappointed if you get it! It's a phenomenal car, and if you plan to own you next new car for more than 2-3
Years, you will find if VERY MUCH worth the wait.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Quote:
It's perfectly positioned as a loss leader.

customers see the M2 sizzle and come in the door and find that the M2 is unavailable, selling at MSRP and one must wait weeks or months.

The sell-down vehicle is the M240.
The sell-up vehicle is the M4.
The step- off vehicle is the M3 ( 4 doors ).

All three of these vehicles there is no doubt are more profitable for BMW than selling an M2.

If you think the M2 is oddly placed, what is the Cayman GT4?

Sell down to GTS and S
Sell up to 911
Step off - Macan -
Not sure how much "up" there is to a 911 from the GT4 at real world prices...but otherwise the analogy is a pretty good one.
The sell UP to the 911 is based on amenities and class and luxury, which is often the same reasons for sell up from M2 to M4. ( better quality leather , glossy carbon fiber , more "M buttons" , etc)

The same reason that when my friend who owns a 128, gets asked if he wants to step up from his " entry level BMW " to the 3 Series loaner they just gave him by the lady at the service counter when he goes in for service( doesn't she know , he has already owned three E90s).

Funny. The 3 series was always good enough for me when it was the " entry level " BMW ...
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #54
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
more "M buttons"
I've driven a car with two M buttons and it really only needed one M button. One that when pressed would make it as fun and enjoyable as the M2. Don't get me wrong, I love technology but the point of technology is to enhance, not get in the way.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #55
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Fortunately, I don't care about the clearly miniscule genitalia of people who have this point of view. Personally I have f**king had it with people trying to turn M cars into luxurious Dodge f**king Hellcats to cover up their inadequacies. Every generation BMW listen to this crap and move their cars closer to 1000hp death stars with as much handling and feedback as a Nissan Tiida. I know it's impolite but I just don't care anymore. Only two kinds of people buy BMWs, a diminishing population of people who love, love love driving and an ever increasing coterie of brand-whores and camp followers who care more about what other people think of their car than how it makes them feel.

I will be just fine if some idiot in an M240i 'beats' me at the lights (are we 12 in here? Serious with this?) because life is not about what other people think of you and your choices. It's tough to understand for some people, but sooner or later, every man (or lady) learns this and that's when their life truly starts. Sooner the better.

Man I am sorry as hell to have a go at you, but I'm just done with this little boy, my G.I. Joes are cooler than yours attitude. Please try and take it as a criticism of the mindset, rather than you as a person, who will only grow once you learn to stop caring so much about what other people think.
Yup what he said. If traffic light races and look-at-me-bling are your thing, get an AMG or RS-somethingarather. If driver involvement, and all round performance tick your boxes, look at some Beemers and Porsches.
      05-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #56
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer

Yup what he said. If traffic light races and look-at-me-bling are your thing, get an AMG or RS-somethingarather. If driver involvement, and all round performance tick your boxes, look at some Beemers and Porsches.
Anytime some random guy tries to race me on the road or highway, I just laugh. Not sure what people are trying to prove to a total stranger. I sure as hell don't need a ticket or points on my license to prove anything to anyone.
      05-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #57
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
I like the M2 so much because it builds on the rock solid M235i. Simple, driver focused and punches above its weight. I'm glad the M2 kept the things that make me like the M235i so much and just turns them up to 11.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #58
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV
Quote:

Anytime some random guy tries to race me on the road or highway, I just laugh. Not sure what people are trying to prove to a total stranger. I sure as hell don't need a ticket or points on my license to prove anything to anyone.
Well then you've got nothing to worry about from an M240 pulling up along side
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #59
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV
Quote:

Well then you've got nothing to worry about from an M240 pulling up along side
Lol. Yeah, I've calmed myself down since the initial announcement.

Plus my car will look nicer going slow-mo.
      05-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #60
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Cross-posting from the iDrive section: new iDrive 5.0 for MY2017

This thread proves again that, in the end, what everyone cares the most about is engine power. Sad.
      05-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #61
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I think it's you who needs to grow up, and respect others opinions whether or nt they align with yours.

Caring about straight line speed isn't any more right or wrong than caring about steering feel.

Not to mention, maybe he wants both?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #62
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I think it's you who needs to grow up, and respect others opinions whether or nt they align with yours.

Caring about straight line speed isn't any more right or wrong than caring about steering feel.

Not to mention, maybe he wants both?
Well, maybe you should PM him and find out what he really wants to say and then help him type it? Also part of being a grown up is realising you don't have to respect everyone's opinions, you're entitled to an opinion, you aren't entitled to applause every time you have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #63
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Only thing that will increase IMHO is the price...
      05-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #64
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Well, maybe you should PM him and find out what he really wants to say and then help him type it? Also part of being a grown up is realising you don't have to respect everyone's opinions, you're entitled to an opinion, you aren't entitled to applause every time you have one.
If you think that being an adult means that you, instead of saying let's agree to disagree, respond by calling someone who doesn't agree with you a "little boy" with a small dick...then there is nothing more to say here
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I feel fine.

No prizes to win + I don't mind sharing a place in the sun (why wouldn't I) ?
      05-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #66
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Cross-posting from the iDrive section: new iDrive 5.0 for MY2017

This thread proves again that, in the end, what everyone cares the most about is engine power. Sad.
Does that shock you? This is almost 2017, I think there are some standards that are set at a certain price point... The m3 boys argued the same thing...