BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Plenty of positives, any negatives?

05-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #199
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
My new negative - why does the volume have to jacked up so high on bluetooth mode on a iphone.

Second negative - why does it default to the Apple music player? when i was just on Spotify. It's annoying.
I second this! When I switch back and forth between Spotify and Sirius XM on the car, it is a huge difference! I listen to a bunch of podcasts too and you always have to jack the volume way up because of bluetooth!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #200
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I love those heated seats. I'm surprised How much I enjoy them. Windows down, midnight, with light heated seats...perfection!
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #201
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
My new negative - why does the volume have to jacked up so high on bluetooth mode on a iphone.

Second negative - why does it default to the Apple music player? when i was just on Spotify. It's annoying.
Make sure the volume on your phone is max and then the car volume will be at a decent level.

I hate that bug, too. I use Pandora and Overcast and every third or fourth time, the stupid Music app launches. Super annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #202
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Hey San79y thanks for starting this thread. I am trying to resist the M2 given my 235 is barely 9 months old, but finding it hard. This thread has contained a few surprises. None of which have turned me off the M2, quite the reverse.

Like:
No front sensors. huh?
Fuel tank - yeah crazy small size, thought they might have addressed this in the M2.
Instrument lighting. Agreed.
The rev matching..... this for me is almost a deal breaker on a manual M2. The joy of hustling a manual car along quickly, and achieving perfect balance of engine transmission and chassis, in which perfect heel and toeing is essential. It removes one of the challenges of the exercise for me.

So now I am confused over manual or auto. I have driven manuals for years (including several race cars) until the 235. I have enjoyed the auto on the 235 (once I stopped grabbing for the centre stick) much more than expected.
      05-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #203
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
Hey San79y thanks for starting this thread. I am trying to resist the M2 given my 235 is barely 9 months old, but finding it hard. This thread has contained a few surprises. None of which have turned me off the M2, quite the reverse.

Like:
No front sensors. huh?
Fuel tank - yeah crazy small size, thought they might have addressed this in the M2.
The rev matching..... this for me is almost a deal breaker on a manual M2. The joy of hustling a manual car along quickly, and achieving perfect balance of engine transmission and chassis, in which perfect heel and toeing is essential. It removes one of the challenges of the exercise for me.

So now I am confused over manual or auto. I have driven manuals for years (including several race cars) until the 235. I have enjoyed the auto on the 235 (once I stopped grabbing for the centre stick) much more than expected.
If you don't mind taking the hit on the M235 depreciation and the non-discount status of the M2 then why not? I would love to have an M2, but I'm not willing to take the hit just now, maybe for the 2018???

I'm going to upgrade to lighter 19" 19.8 lb. wheels soon so that I can run 235/35 tires in the front and 255/30 in the rear. This should help beef up the M235 handling a bit without suspension mods or changing the gearing. I hope this will stop the nanny from kicking in so often, which drives me crazy. Until then I just use Sport+ and let it slip.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #204
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Drove 1.600km for now;

The HK sounds system isn`t on par with the E82 1M (It is said here before, and I concur) it sounds flat, I do here more bass outside the car then inside, a little embarrassing

The seating position, the pedal positioning, the wide transmission tunnel where the accelerator is, to small tunnel where your knee is, hence the kneepad serves no function at al.

Seats them selves are great.

Initial steering input is great, better than my previous 981 Cayman GTS

Last edited by Romo; 05-27-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #205
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
The HK sounds system isn`t on par with the E82 1M (It is said here before, and I concur) it sounds flat, I do here more bass outside the car then inside, a little embarrassing
I agree, even after more hours of break-in.

In the M2 iDrive settings, just basic equalizer settings. In the 1M you can further fine-tune. I hear less the warm synth pads. But the bass is stronger.
      05-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #206
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

I'm still in the honeymoon phase. But the only negatives that I can think of are lack of the "holy sh!t" grips and no HUD. Obviously no deal breaker for me. The car is fantastic and everything I've wanted so far. The car checks all the boxes for my priority "wants".
      05-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #207
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Negatives

Yes there are.

In DSC off i loose sharp throttle response of the sport plus setting.

The car is easier to drive hard in compare to the 1M. 1M is more agile and more of a challenge.

Wide arches are to smooth looking. I like the stance of an M3 or 1M more.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #208
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Anyone else find the bonnet/hood a pita to close? having to push down and trying to get both latches engaged is a pain, i tend to only be able to get one in at a time and have to push down relatively hard. Much prefer the classic drop style.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #209
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
Anyone else find the bonnet/hood a pita to close? having to push down and trying to get both latches engaged is a pain, i tend to only be able to get one in at a time and have to push down relatively hard. Much prefer the classic drop style.
Like the Fxx you are supposed to just let it go about 12-16 inches above closed.
      05-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #210
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo
Negatives

Yes there are.

In DSC off i loose sharp throttle response of the sport plus setting.

The car is easier to drive hard in compare to the 1M. 1M is more agile and more of a challenge.

Wide arches are to smooth looking. I like the stance of an M3 or 1M more.
DSC off means all the nannies are on. DSC on gives you more slip.
      05-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #211
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Like the Fxx you are supposed to just let it go about 12-16 inches above closed.
That's what i did initially but it doesn't completely close, eventually i checked the manual and it says to drop it from 16 inches then push down to lock on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #212
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

My Negs:

1) Seat just doesn't fit larger guys. I feel about 25% over the seat capacity. I've never had this problem before in a car. The hip bolsters are pretty narrow. My skinny girlfriend thinks they are perfect though.

2) During the day it can be really hard to see the tach/spedo gauges if you wear sun glasses. There needs to be way more contrast and a brighter needle.

3) Stereo is pretty blahhh
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #213
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Had mine for a week now and as always there a few things that I'm thinking 'if only....!' The best car I've ever owned by a mile, but here are my little niggles (some of which may be fixable when I learn how to use I drive properly!)

Idrive - when I reverse, the split screen (the main one) reverts back to the main menu rather than what was there before?!
Nav - no speed cameras. And I didn't spec the £200 option that shows the speed limit, beginning to regret that now. Back to the tomtom for journeys on unknown roads
Knee pad - too far down for me (only 6ft) so my knee barely touches it
Arm rest - slides a bit too easily, need to be able to lock it
Steering wheel mode wheel to toggle between media sources - it only seems to toggle between the last two I've used, so if I'm listening to the radio and was previously listen to a cd, I can't quick toggle to saved music, have to use idrive (a pain in the arse when driving)
Rev match - getting used to it but really should have an off button in comfort mode as well as full m mode (causes much amusement to pedestrians when coming up to junctions though!)
Boot/trunk - only seem to able to open with the key, even when car unlocked (I'm sure this could changed on idrive?!)
Steering wheel - a touch too wide (radius) and touch too thin
Dust caps - cheap plastic, already replaced with nice ones from eBay which will probably be on the local kids bikes by the end of the month!

All trivial stuff really! The important bits are simply superb and I hope I shall be keeping it for many years.
      07-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #214
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Don't think anyone's mentioned this yet: any type of repair, especially mechanical, is a bitch. Mechanics aren't familiar with the car or it's parts, and a good amount are only in Germany. What should have been a 2 week delay for me turned into a month and week.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #215
San79y
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Like:
No front sensors. huh?

Yeah not being able to get close to 300 miles on a tank is a joke. Even when not hammering it.

My best mate has had an auto 235i for a bit longer than you and I stuck him in the M2 a month ago to see what he thought. I was surprised at all the noises coming out of him as he is usually quite reserved! Once he could speak in sentences again, he couldn't believe it was based off the same engine he had, and was also blown away at the power delivery thanks to the DCT with its instant changes. I would say you cannot compare a normal auto to any dual clutch as they are light years apart. Modern autos are nice and smooth etc, however, they aren't a patch on the speed a dual clutch can go through the cogs. This helps the M2 distance itself from a 235i due to the relentless acceleration and constant power. It also helps you avoid most of the turbo lag. I love it, and although I wanted a DCT on my next car all along, the blipping throttle on the manual put me off too. It is no longer a true manual and I am sure that gets annoying when just trying to drive normally in town.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #216
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Anyone's dome/reading lights stay on when you start the car? I have to manually turn them off everytime.
      07-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #217
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Are there really no front parking sensors?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #218
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:

Like:
No front sensors. huh?

I'm sort of in the same situation as you, except worse, since I've only had my M235i for five months. Having said that, I still really like my M235i a lot. Everytime I drive it, I'm reminded of this. I'm not that surprised at this thread, because they're a lot of things mentioned as annoyances that are on the M235i. I hadn't thought about the sliding armrest, but that does bother me at times. All the other stuff doesn't bother me that much.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #219
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Anyone's dome/reading lights stay on when you start the car? I have to manually turn them off everytime.
You have more electrical issues... Not sure that coding thing was a good idea...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #220
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
You have more electrical issues... Not sure that coding thing was a good idea...
But I didn't touch it? It was reset. Only added back a few things.