BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Plenty of positives, any negatives?

04-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
San79y
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2

Plenty of positives, any negatives?

I am extremely happy with my M2 as everyone else on here, and the rest of the world seems to be. However, after living with the car for a couple hundred miles or more in a lot of your cases, I was wondering if there is anything you have found that you don't like? Other than the crooked seat thing that seems to be driving some people crazy! That doesn't bother me though.

There are a couple of things I don't like; the road/tyre noise can be intrusive on some surfaces (plenty of crappy roads here), and I think the fake noise in the cabin is unnecessary as the car is loud enough to sound great without it. The firmness of the ride may be too much for some. General 2er issues: the HK sound system isn't all that for the money, and the comfort access seems to lock the passenger out if I get to the handle first, but that could be a settings issue. I am slightly nit picking, these aren't stopping me from loving the car.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Pretty sure you can set CA to unlock all doors
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
San79y
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Pretty sure you can set CA to unlock all doors
But I only want it to unlock the passenger door when someone is getting when I am. Not when I am alone. If it doesn't do that, then yeah I will have the open both doors option.

Another thing, the CF trim inside loves to collect dust and dirt like a magnet. I'll stop picking on it now!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I didn't realize how annoying it is - but the no temperature gauge is really annoying. I'm going to have add that mod
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Going by the pictures and reviews of left hand drive :

Is the offset on the RHD driver's side the same ie: would you have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I didn't realize how annoying it is - but the no temperature gauge is really annoying. I'm going to have add that mod
The graphical temperature gauge is not good enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by San79y View Post
But I only want it to unlock the passenger door when someone is getting when I am. Not when I am alone. If it doesn't do that, then yeah I will have the open both doors option.

Another thing, the CF trim inside loves to collect dust and dirt like a magnet. I'll stop picking on it now!
You can only do drivers or both. It can tell where they key is located, so unlike if for instance car is locked and you open from passenger side and both unlock. It's not smart enough to do what you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
San79y
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Going by the pictures and reviews of left hand drive :

Is the offset on the RHD driver's side the same ie: would you have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned ?
TBH, I didn't look for it and haven't noticed it. I read about it and saw the photos before I picked my car up and chose to ignored it completely as I think it really is nitpicking as it is so slight. I am sure there are people who are totally the other way. Bound to be the same on RHD as it is a side impact protection thing, but I haven't noticed it. Compare it to old RHD 911's, where the seat points straight at the wheel, yet the pedal box is over to one side because they couldn't be bothered to alter the tub for RHD cars, that didn't stop people claiming those to be one of the best driver's car of their day with each iteration. The release for the engine cover is in the passenger side door for RHD which annoys me every time I have to walk around to pull it, but it doesn't detract for the overall package and is more like a quirk to the ownership.

BTW I am not having a go at people who don't like the seat. I started this tread not to look for faults either, just to see how people are getting on with their cars when they are using them day to day for what they are intended for, after some real world testing rather than by just going by printed reviews etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

To those who own a manual car: does using the iDrive controller get in the way of the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
To those who own a manual car: does using the iDrive controller get in the way of the shifter?
Nop
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
The graphical temperature gauge is not good enough for you?
It wouldn't for me. Plus the more important info would have been an oil temp gauge. That would drive me insane.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

So I'm about 6' tall and it is SUPER awkward rolling the windows up or down. The buttons are placed too far back. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Also, the arm rest is somewhat annoying as well. It slides too easily.
      04-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

After 700 miles, honestly I haven't found anything "annoying". There are minor tweaks I will make over time I'm sure, but for me the car meets or exceeds all expectations. Only wish I could drive it more. My expectations are real based on the price/performance point of this sweet Lil' ///M
      04-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
d0scas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i 16' M2

Any one experiencing any weird noises, I have heard a couple times very strange loud squeel/grind noise from rear end going slow over uneven rods. Also if I go from 2nd at 40-45 to 5th when I release clutch there's a thump knock noise from rear end also. Currently at 1300 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #15
lx93
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 MT M2

transmission tunnel is right against right foot. and door panel rattles. build quality is more Ford than BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
The seat is killing me. Not sure whether or not it's because it's crooked or just sucks. The sound system hasn't really bothered me but definitely not amazing. Maybe it's the missing two additional speakers? The slipping armrest is annoying. I've had two instances where the car was in park and some very loud grinding occurred when I opened the door and trunk. My rear parking censors seem to be unnecessarily sensitive and beep when nothing is that close. Road noise isn't that bad for me. I'm thinking the 911 would've been the car for me. Only time will tell. Still breaking in. Oh well....
      04-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

F87LUV

How tall are you dear? As couple of people that are below 5.8 feet had a similar complainant regard seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0scas View Post
Any one experiencing any weird noises, I have heard a couple times very strange loud squeel/grind noise from rear end going slow over uneven rods. Also if I go from 2nd at 40-45 to 5th when I release clutch there's a thump knock noise from rear end also. Currently at 1300 miles
The noise that you hear from the rear is LSD buddy! Just enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #19
d0scas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i 16' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
The noise that you hear from the rear is LSD buddy! Just enjoy it.
Yeah haven't let it bother me the car is awesome so far. Was just seeing if anyone else hearing any of it
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
After 3,000 km in a press car (I have not even seen my own car yet), I had a number of points, which I mentioned in the review as well. Short list of really small negatives were:

- Can someone kill ASD please?
- Steering is OK, not superb. I prefer the hydraulic steering of the 1M, but the kit in the M2 is still the best in its class.
- Instrument cluster in front of you is quite dark, more lighting is often required. I really had to get used to it.
- Auto lights sensor should put on the lights sooner. I had to switch to always on to get around the annoyance.

In my personal case.... The delivery process! I can write a book about the amount of fails I have had and so far I have not even seen my car. No M2 for me on Gumball 3000.

Other than that, similar to anyone else in the comments. Best buy in the market segment and at that price tag.

MR
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
The seat is killing me. Not sure whether or not it's because it's crooked or just sucks. The sound system hasn't really bothered me but definitely not amazing. Maybe it's the missing two additional speakers? The slipping armrest is annoying. I've had two instances where the car was in park and some very loud grinding occurred when I opened the door and trunk. My rear parking censors seem to be unnecessarily sensitive and beep when nothing is that close. Road noise isn't that bad for me. I'm thinking the 911 would've been the car for me. Only time will tell. Still breaking in. Oh well....
:-(

I'm 5'9" and had some difficulty with the seats at first, but once adjusted properly I found them to be pretty comfortable.

In regards to the sound system, it sounded like an old transistor radio at first, but it seemed like overnight it started sounding fine. I have know idea why, because I did nothing to it. Don't get me wrong, its no high-end audio system but as far as car audio it sounds OK

Now that you bring up the backup sensor; it is very sensitive and agrivates me because it doesn't turn off when I put back in to 1st gear.
      04-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #22
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
:-(

I'm 5'9" and had some difficulty with the seats at first, but once adjusted properly I found them to be pretty comfortable.

In regards to the sound system, it sounded like an old transistor radio at first, but it seemed like overnight it started sounding fine. I have know idea why, because I did nothing to it. Don't get me wrong, its no high-end audio system but as far as car audio it sounds OK

Now that you bring up the backup sensor; it is very sensitive and agrivates me because it doesn't turn off when I put back in to 1st gear.
I noticed that you have to put it in first gear and move forward slightly for the backup camera to turn off.
Appreciate 0