BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Tesla Drive unit is it a brushless AC motor?

Closed Thread

11-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Tesla Drive unit is it a brushless AC motor?

Just curious what type of motor it is. I know it is a 3 stage stator motor or something like that? RC electric cars have either brushed or brushless motors, with brushless being the superior technology with no components that wear out and it is more efficient and therefore has more torque/HP from a given energy source (battery). They require a microprocessor in order to work versus a brushed motor just needs current to operate as the brushes insure the correct polarity as the motor operates, but this is done electronically on the brushless motor. Just wondering if this is part of the Tesla secret sauce that allows it to extract more performance from the battery. Also, do the drive units ever wear out or are they supposed to last forever (like the million mile warranty and the semi).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Tesla uses a 3 phase induction AC motor which is similar, but slightly different than a brushless motor.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/ind...ushless-motors
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Cool, thanks! Great article. I'm not an electrical engineer but this seems to explain things a little I may have to read it again.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread