BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 order timeline

08-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #177
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Another data point: My M2 (LBB, 6MT, ExecPkg, SS Pedals) entered production on August 4. For a couple of weeks, both bmwusa.com and the 800 status line indicated a production completion date of August 22. However, 3 days ago, the completion date, as reported by both sources, was changed to August 20, i.e., two days earlier.

Today is August 20, so I called the 800 status line. It's Saturday, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of fresh news. To my surprise, the automated voice said, "Your vehicle has completed production and is waiting for transport to the carrier." Yay! FWIW, bmwusa.com still shows my status as 'Production Begins'. -scr
Appreciate 1
ric124453.00
      08-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #178
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
Another data point: My M2 (LBB, 6MT, ExecPkg, SS Pedals) entered production on August 4. For a couple of weeks, both bmwusa.com and the 800 status line indicated a production completion date of August 22. However, 3 days ago, the completion date, as reported by both sources, was changed to August 20, i.e., two days earlier.

Today is August 20, so I called the 800 status line. It's Saturday, so I wasn't expecting much in terms of fresh news. To my surprise, the automated voice said, "Your vehicle has completed production and is waiting for transport to the carrier." Yay! FWIW, bmwusa.com still shows my status as 'Production Begins'. -scr
Excellent, I haven't heard anything new on my build, but my car should be shadowing yours, I'll have to see what I can find out Monday.
      08-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #179
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post
Excellent, I haven't heard anything new on my build, but my car should be shadowing yours, I'll have to see what I can find out Monday.
If you haven't done so already, call the BMW Genius line at (US): 1-844-443-6487. It's nice to talk to a real, live person who can answer all your questions, or at least try. This afternoon (yes, they're open on Saturday till 9pm ET), I spoke with a very friendly genius named Adam. He confirmed that, indeed, my car had completed production and was now being staged for transport to "the port". He said it could sit anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks at the port before being loaded onto a suitable ship. He estimated the sea time to the West Coast (Oxnard, CA) would be 21 days, and then another 7-10 days before the car reached my dealer. In other words, he said to count on delivery about 1 month from the day the car is loaded on the ship.

I mentioned that I had ordered the stainless steel pedal kit, and he said the kit would be installed at the vehicle distribution center in Oxnard, adding perhaps 5 days to the timeline. What a bummer. If I'd known about this extra 5 day delay, I would have ordered the kit and installed the pedal covers myself, as I did on 2 previous BMWs. It's kind of a pain drilling for the pedal covers, but it would have only taken a couple of hours, not 5 days!

Adam, the genius, invited me to call back as often as I liked for further information and updates. -scr
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #180
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sold the F30 335i so I officially do not own a car now

Last edited by ric124; 08-21-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #181
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
If you haven't done so already, call the BMW Genius line at (US): 1-844-443-6487. It's nice to talk to a real, live person who can answer all your questions, or at least try. This afternoon (yes, they're open on Saturday till 9pm ET), I spoke with a very friendly genius named Adam. He confirmed that, indeed, my car had completed production and was now being staged for transport to "the port". He said it could sit anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks at the port before being loaded onto a suitable ship. He estimated the sea time to the West Coast (Oxnard, CA) would be 21 days, and then another 7-10 days before the car reached my dealer. In other words, he said to count on delivery about 1 month from the day the car is loaded on the ship.

I mentioned that I had ordered the stainless steel pedal kit, and he said the kit would be installed at the vehicle distribution center in Oxnard, adding perhaps 5 days to the timeline. What a bummer. If I'd known about this extra 5 day delay, I would have ordered the kit and installed the pedal covers myself, as I did on 2 previous BMWs. It's kind of a pain drilling for the pedal covers, but it would have only taken a couple of hours, not 5 days!

Adam, the genius, invited me to call back as often as I liked for further information and updates. -scr
Yup, I confirmed that my build is complete too now, waiting for transport to port. I expect it would come into New Jersey port, so maybe a different ship than yours?
      08-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #182
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post
Yup, I confirmed that my build is complete too now, waiting for transport to port. I expect it would come into New Jersey port, so maybe a different ship than yours?
Congrats! And, yes, as I understand it, my car will be loaded onto a ship headed directly to the West Coast (via the Panama Canal). Reportedly, there are fewer such ships, so I wouldn't be surprised if my car has to wait longer at the port in Germany - the Genius said it could be up to 2 weeks. -scr
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #183
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Thank you
Since you're on the west coast add another week, maybe two for transportation. 6 weeks is valid if on the east coast.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #184
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
For those who's car completed production last week have you figure out which boat your on, yet?

I keep trying to track my VIN using, https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?fra...uickSearchPage

as described here, http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/ho...d-to-delivery/

but nada so far.
Your salesperson or the BMW Genius can tell you. I wasted an hour of my life trying to figure out what boat I was on. The BMW Genius told me in about 20 seconds.
      08-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #185
Harley89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 (Ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley89 View Post
2/6/16 ordered M2, number 5 on list. Given week 14 production.

5/6/16 told that my week 14 production date was a request not an allocation

6/15/16 was told my BMW sales manager I was slated for week 29 production

8/8/16 given no explanation as to the lack of status change, and no new time line as to what is going on with the order.

My family has purchased dozens of cars through this sales manager. Quite unhappy with the lack of communication. All I want is my F-ing car!!! 😔😡

8/20/16 spoke with sales manager after detaining my less than pleased emotions concerning the information kept from me. Was told that orders 1-2 are in transit, 2-4 are in production, I'm next to receive allocation.

Really hoping that I get the next round of allocation in September for October-December deliveries.
Updated post
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #186
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

So, I started compiling a spreadsheet with the timelines people have provided here to better summarize dates, times, locations, etc.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feel free to update/change/add anything you may find helpful. Some dates are estimated dates of completion/arrival as well.
      08-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #187
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
So, I started compiling a spreadsheet with the timelines people have provided here to better summarize dates, times, locations, etc.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feel free to update/change/add anything you may find helpful. Some dates are estimated dates of completion/arrival as well.
Key data point you should include is how long to catch a boat. This can add up to a week of delay and is a critical path to the delivery.

So far the timing listed in the pinned delivery tracking thread is holding true for me. But do I get on the next boat out or not is an open question.

Honestly, once I received my Production order, the timing to receiving the car has been similar to my past BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #188
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood74 View Post
Key data point you should include is how long to catch a boat. This can add up to a week of delay and is a critical path to the delivery.

So far the timing listed in the pinned delivery tracking thread is holding true for me. But do I get on the next boat out or not is an open question.

Honestly, once I received my Production order, the timing to receiving the car has been similar to my past BMW's.
Thanks for the feedback! I will add a column for the day it gets on the ship.
      08-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #189
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
For the truly impatient and a look at what the shipping window can do the schedule:

The "Shipping travel time" will be replaced with one of the current ship schedules shown.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #190
G3N3VA
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (Ordered)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6  [0.00]
29/07/16 Test Drive
02/08/16 Deposit
22/08/16 Confirmed build week 50
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #191
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!

I hate it when this happens. My car was ordered January, allocated July, started production on August 5 scheduled to be finished production TOMORROW (August 23). So I phoned the Geniuses today to check status and they "think" my car has a "hold" on it, but they aren't sure and don't know why. Told me to contact my dealer (who never seems to know anything including this time). So once again I seem to be in limbo land. I have a VIN, know my car started production, but is "on hold" whatever the hell that means. I hate it when this happens!!!
      08-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #192
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I hate it when this happens. My car was ordered January, allocated July, started production on August 5 scheduled to be finished production TOMORROW (August 23). So I phoned the Geniuses today to check status and they "think" my car has a "hold" on it, but they aren't sure and don't know why. Told me to contact my dealer (who never seems to know anything including this time). So once again I seem to be in limbo land. I have a VIN, know my car started production, but is "on hold" whatever the hell that means. I hate it when this happens!!!
If you're flagged as "on hold" it is 99.99% likely your car needs a new rear diff. Fingers crossed it gets done in Germany for you, VPC wait in NA is loooong.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #193
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
If you're flagged as "on hold" it is 99.99% likely your car needs a new rear diff. Fingers crossed it gets done in Germany for you, VPC wait in NA is loooong.
No, it isn't the differential. Goslow2gofast's car and Nopslide's car were right with mine going down the assembly line and they're both finished production. Besides, my car didn't start production until August 5, after the diff problem was solved.

This really pisses me off. Whether it was the lack of information about allocations in the spring, or the damn differential problem, or now my car being put “on hold” in near the end of production, SOMEONE at BMW knows the answers to these questions but that information never seems to be communicated to those (like CAs, Geniuses, etc.) whose job it is to deal with the paying customers. I’m really fed up with being told, “we don’t know”. If they want to keep us in the dark, they should never have launched MYBMW tracking and Genius phone numbers. I wanna kick some butt!
      08-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #194
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
That would be odd considering myself and a few others finished production on or around Aug 5th. and had no hold.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #195
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
That would be odd considering myself and a few others finished production on or around Aug 5th. and had no hold.
Agreed. I am certain it isn't the differential, and I'm just as certain that someone at BMW knows why it's on hold but, again, why the hell isn't that information entered into a damn computer and made available to the 'geniuses' or the not-so-geniuses at the dealerships????
      08-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #196
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:
So? Could've been just one bad part and he got "lucky". The bum diffs are still being installed and fixed after.

Six cars were made the same day as my M2, mine was the only affected.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #197
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan
Quote:
No, it isn't the differential. Goslow2gofast's car and Nopslide's car were right with mine going down the assembly line and they're both finished production. Besides, my car didn't start production until August 5, after the diff problem was solved.

This really pisses me off. Whether it was the lack of information about allocations in the spring, or the damn differential problem, or now my car being put “on hold” in near the end of production, SOMEONE at BMW knows the answers to these questions but that information never seems to be communicated to those (like CAs, Geniuses, etc.) whose job it is to deal with the paying customers. I’m really fed up with being told, “we don’t know”. If they want to keep us in the dark, they should never have launched MYBMW tracking and Genius phone numbers. I wanna kick some butt!
How do you know? See my post above.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #198
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post

How did you find out you were on hold? Automated number? Whats the automated number say for you?
Appreciate 0