BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear shock tower access from interior for coilover adjustment

11-15-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
sun573
Rep
Drives: M2 OG

Rear shock tower access from interior for coilover adjustment

I've searched the forum to no avail. Has anyone found a way to access the rear shock top mount so I can adjust the damping on the coilovers without unbolting the rear shock? I don't see any access after removing the trunk liner, so I imagine you would have to drill a hole. If so, does anyone know where to drill?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun573 View Post
I've searched the forum to no avail. Has anyone found a way to access the rear shock top mount so I can adjust the damping on the coilovers without unbolting the rear shock? I don't see any access after removing the trunk liner, so I imagine you would have to drill a hole. If so, does anyone know where to drill?
Which dampers are you talking about? Usually the rear is on the bottom of the damper and/or on a remote reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 12:06 AM   #3
sun573
Rep
Drives: M2 OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Which dampers are you talking about? Usually the rear is on the bottom of the damper and/or on a remote reservoir.
I have the ground control coilovers with the Koni double adjustable race shocks. I adjusted the rebound (on top of the shock, hidden in the shock tower) to the middle before I installed it but I would like to fine tune at the track without taking the whole thing apart. Compression adjustment is on the bottom and is easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Personally I would not be drilling a hole, since I’m assuming the size required would be massive.

Alternatively and not knowing much about the Koni DA’s the below post may provide some ideas if you are kinda handy in fabrication

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=770266