BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Battery Charger During ABS Bleeding?

01-07-2024, 09:00 PM   #1
boba7523
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2c

Battery Charger During ABS Bleeding?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I need a voltage regulator hooked to the battery when I perform ABS bleed procedure through ISTA+.

Or can I just just charge the battery to 100% before starting the procedure?

I've heard that ISTA+ can brick the car if there is sudden drop in voltage or something.....

Thank you!

Last edited by boba7523; 01-07-2024 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:13 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I need a voltage regulator hooked to the battery when I perform ABS bleed procedure through ISTA+.

Or can I just just charge the battery to 100% before starting the procedure?

I've heard that ISTA+ can brick the car if there is sudden drop in voltage or something.....

Thank you!
You can just have a trickle charger in "supply mode" for this, make sure the battery is fully charged before you begin and you should be ok.

ISTA will only brick the car if the battery voltage drops while you are flashing the DME with new software. This job isn't flashing the car with anything so even if the car shuts off you'll be fine. Make sure you have the driver side seat belt plugged in while you're doing this so the car doesn't go to sleep.
      01-09-2024, 07:19 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

You shouldn't really run into an issue if the battery is fully charged before you start, the ABS bleed procedure shouldn't take too long.

What you do need to watch for is ensure the fluid doesn't run low. I ran into issues when I tried to simply fill the reservoir to the top, then put my Motive PowerBleeder on at 15psi and run through the process. If I tried again I would put 500mL to 1L in my PowerBleeder. I hadn't wanted to do that and deal with cleaning it out afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 10:20 PM   #4
boba7523
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
You can just have a trickle charger in "supply mode" for this, make sure the battery is fully charged before you begin and you should be ok.

ISTA will only brick the car if the battery voltage drops while you are flashing the DME with new software. This job isn't flashing the car with anything so even if the car shuts off you'll be fine. Make sure you have the driver side seat belt plugged in while you're doing this so the car doesn't go to sleep.
Why put the charger in supply mode if I'm not disconnecting the battery? I thought supply mode makes the charger act as a battery supply for the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:51 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
Why put the charger in supply mode if I'm not disconnecting the battery? I thought supply mode makes the charger act as a battery supply for the car.
On the CTEK MUS7002, supply mode supplies like 7 amps at like 13.6V (I dont remember how much exactly) but this doesn't have to be to act as a battery supply for the car. This can be used to actively charge the battery like a power supply and keep it at full conditions, and in such a case we are using it to try and slow the loss of battery charge while we are using it to actuate the ABS pump or perform flash tuning. Obviously 7 AMPS is not enough to keep the battery from draining but it will slow the drain and give us more time to acomplish our task. That is why we are using supply mode.