dz89
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 - 6MT

M2 pre-LCI model year differences

Hi all,

Searching for the differences in the Pre-LCI M2 model years;

From what I have seen, late 2015 and most of 2016 built vehicles have different (older) user interface for the idrive but late 2016 onwards this was updated - large menu icons, larger sport displays, different menu views.

The idrive control itself also changed slightly where the buttons look a little sleeker.

Can anyone confirm any other differences or updates the M2 received before the LCI was released?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz89 View Post
Hi all,

Searching for the differences in the Pre-LCI M2 model years;

From what I have seen, late 2015 and most of 2016 built vehicles have different (older) user interface for the idrive but late 2016 onwards this was updated - large menu icons, larger sport displays, different menu views.

The idrive control itself also changed slightly where the buttons look a little sleeker.

Can anyone confirm any other differences or updates the M2 received before the LCI was released?
The only physical difference between the M.Y 16 and M.Y 17 is what you mentioned, iDrive 4 vs iDrive 5. By the way, the switch between M.Y 16 and M.Y 17 occurred in July of 2016. June=M.Y 16 ; July + = M.Y 17. As far as maintenance plan, the 16's got the 4yr/50k mile maintenance plan including wear items (brakes,belts clutches, wipers), while the 17's get the 3yr/36k mi maintenance plan which doesn't include wear items (Actual warranty is still the same). Also, a percentage of the M.Y 2017's started coming out the factory with Continental tires while I believe all of the 16's were equipped with the Michelin PSS. I believe the 17's also got a minor price increase at some point. I assume you are familiar with the LCI changes that took place with the M.Y 18.
      10-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

The head unit was upgraded to the NBT2 EVO hardware. More RAM and faster processor.

MY17's "Wireless Charging and Wi-Fi Hotspot with Enhanced USB and Bluetooth".
- Multi phone Bluetooth, additional mic located on passenger side. Additional Bluetooth port.
- Access 3rd party apps wirelessly over Bluetooth.
- Additional USB port
- Screencasting
- 8-device connection to internet hotspot.
- Route learning for navigation.
- Conversational voice input.

Those are the only ones I recall. I think there may be minor changes in the available Connected App features as well.
Appreciate 1
Alexxxx52.00
      10-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the replies, sounds like there are only minor changes throughout 2016 built vehicles.
Can the idrive be updated?

I've seen some photos with a temp gauge showing in the cluster between the two tachos - is this available on all cars?

Input on any other changes would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Yes, there are only minor changes between MY16 and MY17. I don't think MY17 will be able to use the new cloud services offered for Connected Drive+.

The oil+coolant combo temp gauge is available on all cars. Should be in the middle position for a few miles before optimum oil temp is reached.

The warranty changes are also very minor practically for the vast majority of owners.

Not sure what you mean by "can the iDrive be updated". It really depends on what particular purpose you would want the "update".
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

What I meant was: if My16 has idrive 4, can it be updated to the newer interface?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz89 View Post
What I meant was: if My16 has idrive 4, can it be updated to the newer interface?
Short answer: Yes, but it will be expensive and online services might be sacrificed