BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rev Matching in Sport+ '18??

10-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Jsaint
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT

Rev Matching in Sport+ '18??

I'd like to preface this post with the following caveat:

This is the first BMW and RWD vehicle that I have personally owned.

Okay, next. I've been following these threads for a while but have not been an active poster. I have had my M since Oct 6th (yay PCD!) and have been reluctant to engage Sport+ as its my baby and all.

Well, today I finally did and DSC being off is NOT what surprised me the most. I've been an M/T driver since I was 16 (26 now) so driving a manual properly is pretty much second nature to me at this point. However, in the two weeks that I've driven the car I can say that I am completely spoiled by the rev match function. It is perfect during the daily commute and its almost like I 'forgot' how to do it on my own once disabled for the first time.

Anyways, this evening while driving home from work I decided to have a little fun and shut the nannies off. Everything behaved how I expected it to, even the extra slippage. At some point during the drive I had to use the restroom BAD and traffic was a lot heavier than normal, especially for the time of day, so it could not wait until I got home. Had to do an emergency pull off on an exit to get to an MCD.

The interesting part is when I got back to my car.

Naturally we all know (I think?) that everything defaults back to comfort when you turn the car on.

"But I still want to have some fun!"

So I hit the buttons and get back on the road. Now I am not sure how long I hit what or in what sequence but I was in Sport+ and when pulling away I noticed that the Rev Match was ON!

"Huh? How? I thought Sport+ was the only way that you could turn everything OFF?"

Now, I'm not complaining as I'm still getting used to the car and quite honestly rev matching makes more sense in Sport+ to me as you can focus on other things more efficiently.

Am I crazy? Is this possible? Is this an '18 feature? How does one toggle it on/off in Sport+?

My apologies if this has been posted before but in my silent browsing I have not seen this come up.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Hold the DSC button for 5+ seconds to turn all traction, stability, and rev match off. You get sport throttle but not sport+ throttle in this mode.

Sport+ has some nannies still on and rev match still on.

The only other way to get rev match off is "code" it out with a computer or phone app and then it will stay off no matter what mode.
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      10-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Jsaint
Rep

I tried this or so I thought and the car defaulted to comfort mode? Is this another function?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaint View Post
I tried this or so I thought and the car defaulted to comfort mode? Is this another function?
The car always defaults to comfort mode when starting the car. Either way Sport+ won't remove revmatch.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Jsaint
Rep

Let me clarify..when I held the Sport+ button longer the screen showed comfort mode being activated. That is what I'm confused about.

In my first post I did shut rev match off by getting into Sport+ it was only after shutting the car off for 5 minutes or so and coming back that somehow I was in Sport+ (presumably using the same methodology) that I ended up with rev match on with 'DSC Off' icon showing. Thats what I'm confused/curious about.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Let me clarify..when I held the Sport+ button longer the screen showed comfort mode being activated. That is what I'm confused about.

In my first post I did shut rev match off by getting into Sport+ it was only after shutting the car off for 5 minutes or so and coming back that somehow I was in Sport+ (presumably using the same methodology) that I ended up with rev match on with 'DSC Off' icon showing. Thats what I'm confused/curious about.
Well all of your description is confusing to me, counter to what I know and my experience, and what's in the user manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Well all of your description is confusing to me, counter to what I know and my experience, and what's in the user manual.
Holding sport+ down does nothing, maybe it defaults to comfort because it's not meant to be held down. In sport+ the rev match feature is on in every M2. You have to hold the traction button down for 5 seconds to disable rev matching. It's the only way to disable rev matching and Traction control period. I think it's a bummer. I want independent control.

The Traction warning comes up but that's different than DSC. DSC saves yaw angle and Traction saves tire slip I believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Jsaint, please see below, the gentlemen above are correct (courtesy of Artemis):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0