BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tyre newbie, need advice on winter tires

10-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Loupeitak
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d and BMW M2 next month

Tyre newbie, need advice on winter tires

Hey there! First post around here. I'm taking delivery of a new M2 in November, which I can't wait for, so I've been reading forums and whatnot about the car. This will also be my first car coming with performance Summer tyres, so I have no idea in regards to temperatures and if I need to swap out tyres or not.

Anyhow, I live in a cold area, but not enough to warrant snow. It's snowed here once in the last 10 years maybe. It does rain a lot, however, during the winter, and rarely some hail. Temperatures are usually around 8-10 degrees celsius during the day, but during the night they can drop to 0 or below.

Is getting a second set of rims and winter tyres fitted worth it in these conditions? I'll probably get an opinion from my dealer as well, but was hoping to see what you guys thought of it. And if so, when should I change them out? Cold weather has been pushed back every year (It's November and I'm still out in a tshirt and shorts), so I'm not sure if there's a set date or if I should go with temperatures as my guideline.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
ScreamingChicken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG MT Exec

I live in a climate where it rarely snows but it rains a lot and can get cold. It has snowed 5 or fewer times since I moved here 8 years ago. It's usually just a dusting to an inch or 2. It does get into the 30s F and it's not uncommon to have frost in the road since it's not a dry climate. I got performance winters for my 335i after I bought it 6 years ago and it did fine for a few inches. I am in on the apex EC-7 winter group buy for my M2 arriving December. I'm trying studless ice/snow this time to see if I like it better. I don't trust summer perf tires in temps below 40 F so the first time I see the forecast dipping below that in the fall I put the winters on. Then take them off in late March. My wife's SUV has all seasons so I don't bother except keep chains just in case for when we go over a mountain pass to visit relatives.
But that's just what works for me. I wouldn't challenge my car in a situation where snow was deeper than the ground clearance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
I live in a climate where it rarely snows but it rains a lot and can get cold. It has snowed 5 or fewer times since I moved here 8 years ago. It's usually just a dusting to an inch or 2. It does get into the 30s F and it's not uncommon to have frost in the road since it's not a dry climate. I got performance winters for my 335i after I bought it 6 years ago and it did fine for a few inches. I am in on the apex EC-7 winter group buy for my M2 arriving December. I'm trying studless ice/snow this time to see if I like it better. I don't trust summer perf tires in temps below 40 F so the first time I see the forecast dipping below that in the fall I put the winters on. Then take them off in late March. My wife's SUV has all seasons so I don't bother except keep chains just in case for when we go over a mountain pass to visit relatives.
But that's just what works for me. I wouldn't challenge my car in a situation where snow was deeper than the ground clearance.
Given your listed scenario, performance winter makes more sense than ice/snow setup.

we see enough snow here that I am trying to decide between studless and studded...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0