BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > New guy here, looking for input

08-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

New guy here, looking for input

Been lurking around here, joined up & ready to participate.

I am contemplating the acquisition of a new ride. Done a bit of research & I've been looking around at dealerships.
Haven't ruled out a sedan, but a coupe is most appealing.
My short list includes:
M2
M3
M4
C63S AMG
Corvette Grand Sport
Also looked at a M240ix, but a real M is more appealing.

The M2 is quite elusive here; have only seen 1 available: a '17 Performance Edition priced at $71k.
M3 isn't as readily available as M4.
C63S is impossible to find; a friend just snatched up the only one I've seen.
Corvette GS is readily available.

From reading here it seems like ordering an M is a lengthy process... I'm not not terribly patient. I also don't like the idea of being on a list to be able to pay above msrp for a car, albeit a very nice car.

Haven't yet decided on the lease vs buy decision. Lots of good info here on that subject.

So... there it is. Interested in any and all comments & suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

C63S impossible? Come to Southern California. The Mercedes dealership down the street from my place has 5 of them sitting on the lot.

I considered all of the cars on your list (with the exception of the 240). But since I just came out of a Benz (CLS63) I wanted to go somewhere different. Didn't like the rolly polly feel of the M3 and M4. Felt as big and un-nimble as my CLS (even the Comp package). The wife said 'absolutely not' to the Vette and a Cayman (no back seats).

Luckily I fell in love with the M2 and she gave me a thumbs up.

I'd say go drive all of them and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
yo_eddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Look in other parts of the country and either fly and drive or have it shipped. I was in the same boat. Didn't want to wait; found a few online. Worked out a deal and had it shipped up to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Been lurking around here, joined up & ready to participate.

I am contemplating the acquisition of a new ride. Done a bit of research & I've been looking around at dealerships.
Haven't ruled out a sedan, but a coupe is most appealing.
My short list includes:
M2
M3
M4
C63S AMG
Corvette Grand Sport
Also looked at a M240ix, but a real M is more appealing.

The M2 is quite elusive here; have only seen 1 available: a '17 Performance Edition priced at $71k.
M3 isn't as readily available as M4.
C63S is impossible to find; a friend just snatched up the only one I've seen.
Corvette GS is readily available.

From reading here it seems like ordering an M is a lengthy process... I'm not not terribly patient. I also don't like the idea of being on a list to be able to pay above msrp for a car, albeit a very nice car.

Haven't yet decided on the lease vs buy decision. Lots of good info here on that subject.

So... there it is. Interested in any and all comments & suggestions.

Welcome to the forum and goodbye. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Welcome to the forum and goodbye. Good luck.

I've waited 5 months now and I'm one of the 'lucky ones'.
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      08-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo_eddy View Post
Look in other parts of the country and either fly and drive or have it shipped. I was in the same boat. Didn't want to wait; found a few online. Worked out a deal and had it shipped up to me.
Yeah, if you can't find what you want locally, then see if you can get it someplace that is day's drive from where you are, if you still can't find anything then expand the search to places where you would ship the car from there to you. I flew a couple hours to pick mine up then drove it back same day. Rather have used a local dealer but that wasn't going to happen and I am glad to have the car. Have to get service at a local deal that I didn't buy from though, but seems fine, they still like getting paid by BMW for warranty work if needed.

You should be able to find MSRP somewhere, you won't need to pay over that.

Lease doesn't seem like a good deal on an M2, unless you have a business reason, or you just really like the idea that after the lease is up the car is no longer your problem, and it's still worth it to you even if the lease terms are bad relative to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
C63S impossible? Come to Southern California. The Mercedes dealership down the street from my place has 5 of them sitting on the lot.

I considered all of the cars on your list (with the exception of the 240). But since I just came out of a Benz (CLS63) I wanted to go somewhere different. Didn't like the rolly polly feel of the M3 and M4. Felt as big and un-nimble as my CLS (even the Comp package). The wife said 'absolutely not' to the Vette and a Cayman (no back seats).

SoCal isn't out of the question... what dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Yeah, if you can't find what you want locally, then see if you can get it someplace that is day's drive from where you are, if you still can't find anything then expand the search to places where you would ship the car from there to you. I flew a couple hours to pick mine up then drove it back same day. Rather have used a local dealer but that wasn't going to happen and I am glad to have the car. Have to get service at a local deal that I didn't buy from though, but seems fine, they still like getting paid by BMW for warranty work if needed.

You should be able to find MSRP somewhere, you won't need to pay over that.

Lease doesn't seem like a good deal on an M2, unless you have a business reason, or you just really like the idea that after the lease is up the car is no longer your problem, and it's still worth it to you even if the lease terms are bad relative to other cars.
Yes, as much as I'd like to buy from my local dealer - 5 miles from home - I can't if he doesn't have what I want. I may expand my search to SoCal, so NV, so CO, NM... maybe even into TX
Appreciate 1
AngryBaby344.50
      08-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
genesyslv
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It took me about three weeks to find what I wanted with many hours and days on the phone. Autotrader is your friend. Be willing to travel and demand MSRP. Some are listed for far more than MSRP but if you call you and you are serious you likely can get MSRP.

I had the best luck in California, Washington, Florida and TX.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
My short list includes:
M2
M3
M4
C63S AMG
Corvette Grand Sport
Not really a short list. I would suggest narrowing it down to 2/3 cars AT MOST or you will be spending forever with research, test drives, haggling, etc. I had a 3 car list (GT350, Miata RF(current miata owner), M2) and spent months narrowing it down to 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Not really a short list. I would suggest narrowing it down to 2/3 cars AT MOST or you will be spending forever with research, test drives, haggling, etc. I had a 3 car list (GT350, Miata RF(current miata owner), M2) and spent months narrowing it down to 1.
Good point.

So, the Miata RF won out over the GT350 & the M2?

I did look at the Miata; nice car, but not in the same league as the GT350 or M2 - at least for me. But, you could get a couple Miatas for the cost of the other 2.

Within my local market - a pretty big city, the M2 and C63S are next to impossible to find.

But, I'm having fun with the research process...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good point.

I did look at the Miata; nice car, but not in the same league as the GT350 or M2 - at least for me. But, you could get a couple Miatas for the cost of the other 2.

Within my local market - a pretty big city, the M2 and C63S are next to impossible to find.

Looks like he meant he currently has a Miata and was attempting to decide between a M2, Miata RF, or a Mustang GT350. Looks like he went with a LCI M2.

Am I wrong?

There are 5 C63S sitting at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach. Sedans. If you wanted a coupe...they could get you one. But they don't move as easily so you're not going to see them sitting on lots.

They'll get you anything if you have the $$$$$$. Just expect to pay MSRP or close to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #13
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Good point.

It almost did...OCfromOC nailed it. I'm week 36 for an LCI M2. If I didn't still own an NA Miata I would probably be an RF owner right now. You might be surprised how many people cross shop higher end cars and the new Miata. There are actually a ton of Porsche converts on Miata.net, the new Miata is just that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #14
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Good point.

It almost did...OCfromOC nailed it. I'm week 36 for an LCI M2. If I didn't still own an NA Miata I would probably be an RF owner right now. You might be surprised how many people cross shop higher end cars and the new Miata. There are actually a ton of Porsche converts on Miata.net, the new Miata is just that good.
I am week 36 also. Does your vehicle show up on the BMW Owners website when you enter your production #?
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
901racer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

I lucked out here, found one sitting in the showroom last week and purchased it. More than likely because it was manual. A 17 performance Edition. Small amount below MSRP.
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      08-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Spot on.

I have a friend who is one of the youngest female race car drivers on the mazda (and now honda civic) circuit. She daily drove a Mustang GT and recently swapped it out for the Miata RF.
We got together and she let me drive her Miata.
First off, from a pure aesthetic standpoint, this is the first Miata I've actually liked and thought didn't look emasculated.
From a driving standpoint, I was absolutely blown away, and I see why she enjoys it more than her Mustang.............probably for the same reasons I enjoyed driving it more than my Camaro 2SS.

The addage 'the closer you can get to driving something that resembles a go cart, the more fun you will have' is so damn true.
It has a near perfect power:weight ratio and an after market tune could boost the HP by 25-40 hp, which would make it a rocket.
And because of its driving dynamics, you're absolutely right-- the Miata is in fact being cross shopped with higher end vehicles.

It may very well be a car I consider down the road if I get more serious about auto crossing and tracking, given its cost to own, cheaper maintenance, and flat out fun.
Hell, I still think about getting it instead of the M2, but I've wanted the M2 for so long, I'm not passing up my week 38 build.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #17
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
One more thing: having owned two porsches (cayman S and a 997.2 GTS), I absolutely get why there are porsche converts wanting to get into the RF.

The dealership where I bought my GTS promised me I would be at the top of the list for the next Cayman GT4, BUT if they pull shenanigans, I am not going to pay over sticker for one, and instead will pivot to the Miata as my second car and either keep the M2 or get a M3 as a DD.

So for the original poster of this thread-- yes, the new Miata RF is that damn good
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
She daily drove a Mustang GT and recently swapped it out for the Miata RF.
We got together and she let me drive her Miata.
First off, from a pure aesthetic standpoint, this is the first Miata I've actually liked and thought didn't look emasculated.
From a driving standpoint, I was absolutely blown away, and I see why she enjoys it more than her Mustang.............probably for the same reasons I enjoyed driving it more than my Camaro 2SS.

The addage 'the closer you can get to driving something that resembles a go cart, the more fun you will have' is so damn true.
It has a near perfect power:weight ratio and an after market tune could boost the HP by 25-40 hp, which would make it a rocket.
And because of its driving dynamics, you're absolutely right-- the Miata is in fact being cross shopped with higher end vehicles.

It may very well be a car I consider down the road if I get more serious about auto crossing and tracking, given its cost to own, cheaper maintenance, and flat out fun.
Hell, I still think about getting it instead of the M2, but I've wanted the M2 for so long, I'm not passing up my week 38 build.
I chose a '99 Miata over a '98 Mustang Cobra almost 19 years ago and I still have it. Obviously, it's a totally different driving experience compared to a Mustang or Camaro or an M2, which is why I refuse to part with it (and will only replace it with a new Miata soft-top when necessary) - ppl often ask which car I'm getting rid of (Miata or '11 GTI) when my M2 arrives - the answer is "neither"!
      08-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:

I recommend you decide that the M2 is your sole choice before pursuing one - some folks on here have lucked out, but for most ppl it takes a little effort to find an allocation and then wait to get it. In short, patience - and a one-track mind - are usually required.
      08-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I have narrowed it down to the M2 being my top choice.
Working with a local dealer to see if they can earn my business before broadening my search.

In second place, on the back burner, is the M4 / Corvette GS. If I did pursue that option (not actively doing so) the performance/dollar nod probably tips to the C7.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #21
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post

5 used M2s sitting on their lot?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #22
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I have narrowed it down to the M2 being my top choice.
Working with a local dealer to see if they can earn my business before broadening my search.

In second place, on the back burner, is the M4 / Corvette GS. If I did pursue that option (not actively doing so) the performance/dollar nod probably tips to the C7.

If you are looking for an all out sports car and highest performance, C7 Corvette for sure. If you care about a backseat and all that, then M2 or M4.
Appreciate 0